The 150th Edition of College Football - Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:09:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The 150th Edition of College Football - Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35
Author Topic: The 150th Edition of College Football - Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25755 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:46:20 PM »

A long time ago in a state far, far away from the center of the college football universe, the proud young men from the ivy-covered campus in picturesque Princeton, New Jersey boarded some rickety 19th century trains and headed off to New Jersey's rough-and-tumble public school campus. The polished prep school men and tomorrows leaders were headed off to quench their appetite for combat - for those who ably dodged the war as well as those called to serve. Little did they know that their bravery on that fall day of woeful kicks attempts on a very crowded gridiron would be the most impactful battle of the decade - not just against each other for state bragging rights but against the harsh theocracies that aimed to make life solemn.

That day was one hundred and fifty autumns ago. The administrators got their way at first and forced the cancellation of many a game and even a season in their efforts to be be strict disciplinarians at respectable institutions – it was an ambitious goal to train young men in the classics, Puritanical morality and above all, honor, but the students had an even grander mission in mind. And when the money poured in, the capitalist experiment helped kick football to new heights.

Due to the lost 1871 season, we can proudly call this season where we celebrate the 150th anniversary, College Football 150. Of course, due to the strangeness of our sport, we have approximately 187 champions in the prior 149 seasons hailing from 44 campuses (seven whom no longer compete for the FBS championship) - if you care to include the initial one for both Rutgers and Princeton. Of course, the latter went on to win 14 more times to show who the real champion was that year whereas Rutgers has been stuck in desolation despite the promising start. Sadly, they will not meet in what would be a very competitive game in honor of that anniversary thanks to those pesky administrators chasing money and wins for bowl eligibility. I have little doubt the Tigers would pull it out. They will instead celebrate against traditional rival Dartmouth in the House that Ruth Built.

In what has been a decade of dullness featuring the same five competitive teams, our beloved sport is going through a lull. Is the next great dynasty going to begin soon? Alabama starts the season looking to finally pass Princeton for second in all-time championships (minus bogus claims) and set their sights on Yale's record. The expectation is that Clemson, Oklahoma, and Georgia should once again have easy roads and that Ohio State remains the team to beat up north despite a more talented rival. Does our magical anniversary season leave us any room for surprise?

The highest ranked schools never to have reached the pinnacle are expected to be Oregon (which may be a year away), Utah (which is largely expected to run the table but has four big challenges), and Wisconsin (a very unsexy pick to rebound is an extremely crowded divisional race). Could any of them muddy the playoff picture?

Who am I kidding? College Football 150 is all about Clemson vs. Alabama, Part 5 – hopefully for the final time! I do hope the Aggies can challenge Clemson, but I don’t expect one loss will keep either out and it is tough to see more than one. And I say that while feel very pessimistic about Alabama – their schedule plays out terrifically.

What are you most excited about this season? Will there be a second ACC ranked in the top 25? Can Scott Frost leapfrog Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin to bring the Cornhuskers back to national prominence or is the defensive depth not ready to hold up just yet? Is the Big Ten East up for grabs? Is football still a sport on the left coast? Will the Bison lock up their eighth national championship of the decade? Discuss all your preseason predictions here as dfwlibertylover prepares the Week 1 slate of games for the Pick 'Em, back by popular demand.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »

Rules of the Pick 'Em portion:

- There will generally be 25 games each week for contestants to pick
- Of the 25 games, 2 of the games will be FCS
- Each game equals 1 point, so if you are perfect in a week you will get a total of 25 points
- We will pick the bowl games and the college football playoff as well

I will try to post all of the games on Sunday, make sure to pick each game before the kickoff of said game!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »

You know there is something special about college football when even WE (Illini fans) get excited each year, at least at the beginning. Tongue
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »

In honer of this momentous anniversary, I feel its only right to partake. 
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 04:15:11 PM »

You know there is something special about college football when even WE (Illini fans) get excited each year, at least at the beginning. Tongue

In my honest assessment, I think I would say Illinois is at least a better team than Purdue next year. Unfortunately while you both draw one of the two worst teams in the conference, Purdue gets you guys at home and has a somewhat more palatable test in an okay Indiana team, again at home, as opposed to Michigan State on the road.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that the Illini steal one from Wisconsin or Northwestern this year, but I won't count on it. Five wins would be a very good season, and it would still more likely than not mean last place in the Big Ten West. Top 60, potentially top 50 team, trapped in a division with six other top 50 teams. Sounds like a blast! At least the bowl eligibility odds have to be higher for you given Purdue's fearsome out-of-conference slate.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 05:26:04 PM »

In
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 06:33:14 PM »

Purple heart Cheesy In!

'Tis the season to dream of 6-win seasons!
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 07:22:09 PM »

I'll join
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 10:46:25 PM »

I already have Week 0 and 1 figured out, I will probably be determining all of the games before the Fall Semester starts since it will be busy, though I will adjust based on what teams are hot and which ones are not of course, but I expect most competitive games can be known ahead of time. I probably wont post the Week 0/1 games for another 2 or 3 weeks since the first one is not until August 24th.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 11:51:10 AM »

I'll join in as well. I just hope and pray Mizzou and Illini are bowl-eligible.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »

NCAA released their top preseason top 25

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-07-02/college-football-rankings-preseason-top-25-2019-season

Their top 4 is:
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Georgia
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 10:22:15 AM »

To be clear, that's not an official NCAA ranking, just that columnist's opinion.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »

To be clear, that's not an official NCAA ranking, just that columnist's opinion.
Right, though I doubt the AP + Coaches polls will be too far off of this, personally I think you could make the case for Georgia being above Ohio State at least.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 02:14:43 PM »

Speaking of which, the Coaches poll is to be released tomorrow and the AP poll will be released on August 12th.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 01:07:21 AM »

Well it seems I was wrong, AP poll is August 19th, I believe the Coaches poll does come out today though.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »

Coaches poll is out: https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Notre dame
10. Texas
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 12:54:13 PM »

Coaches poll is out: https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Notre dame
10. Texas

Seems about right. I'd rather ohio $tate underachieve a Top 5 projection after losing Meyer than have them overachieve after getting picked around 8 or lower.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 02:41:36 PM »

Notre Dame will underachieve, but I am glad I can cling to a tiny bit of hope that they can slay the sleeping giant of the south.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:14 PM »

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/08/06/top-25-preseason-rankings-polls-alabama-clemson Sports Illustrated made the interesting choice to put Alabama at #1 over Clemson.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »

Of course I'm rooting for Georgia, but I'll be happy if anyone but Clemson or Bama wins the championship.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 09:46:27 PM »

And for a dumb reason too - because they were good in years past.

Thankfully they don't just decide the rankings.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 11:58:58 PM »

Of course I'm rooting for Georgia, but I'll be happy if anyone but Clemson or Bama wins the championship.
Same except for maybe Ohio State lol (and Baylor!)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 02:45:11 PM »

And for a dumb reason too - because they were good in years past.
Reasonable decision, wrong reasoning from SI. Clemson lost a ton of starters in the front seven — the new guys are also extremely good, but they're not gonna be quite as good as a D-line that saw three guys picked in the first round of the draft. Venables will still put together a good unit, the offense is basically returning everybody, and they're still gonna crush the ACC, but I think it's reasonable to drop them behind Alabama & Georgia just bc the defense will be very good instead of godly.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 03:42:08 PM »

Atlas Fantasy CFB Draft is on 08.17.2019 at 8:30PM EDT/7:30PM CDT on Yahoo!

Currently, 4 teams are in it.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 03:14:44 PM »

Usually I'd wait a bit longer, but wanted to put the picks out to get some excitement in.
Remember, we are picking 23 FBS matchups and 2 FCS matchups each week. Week 0 and 1 are combined this time around, picks are due before each game for the respective matchup (lets say 5 minutes before), without further ado, here are your week 0/1 matchups!

Week 0/1 FBS Matchups:

Saturday, August 24

Florida vs Miami (FL) 7:00 PM EDT ESPN

Arizona @ Hawai'i 10:30 PM EDT CBSSN

Thursday, August 29

UCLA @ Cincinnati 7:00 PM EDT  ESPN

Georgia Tech @ Clemson 8:00 PM EDT ACCN

Utah @ BYU  10:15 PM EDT ESPN

Friday, August 30

Wisconsin @ USF 7:00 PM EDT ESPN

UMass @ Rutgers 7:15 PM EDT  BTN

Colorado State vs Colorado 10:00 PM EDT ESPN