The 150th Edition of College Football - Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:06:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The 150th Edition of College Football - Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35]
Author Topic: The 150th Edition of College Football - Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25911 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: January 13, 2020, 10:22:55 PM »

I have a brother-in-law who graduated from Clemson and then got his MBA from LSU.  I wanted to find him a black & white T-shirt that said Go Tigers! to give to him.  In reality, he gives zero inks about who might win.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #851 on: January 13, 2020, 10:23:24 PM »

It got better.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #852 on: January 13, 2020, 10:32:39 PM »

Great game so far.  Let go Joe!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #853 on: January 13, 2020, 11:36:14 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2020, 11:42:14 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I don't often watch the "primary broadcast" but I thought it would be useful to hear the iconic footage for an historical game. This has been by far the worst broadcasting team for a football game I've suffered through. About four times Herbie has no idea what down it is. The lack of replay on the interception overturn was frustrating. And in the words of Bill, "Why so much negativity [every time LSU or Burrow is discussed]?" The bias of having children on Clemson is unbearable whether intentional or just accidental propaganda.

My comments on the actual game are that Trevor Lawrence remains absolutely atrocious and gets glorified despite having some of the worst accuracy for a contending QB in recent history. I'm nervous because of his clutch cred and scramble ability, but most QBs like Fields would be picking apart this defense. Be thankful for his elite halfback and special teams. Lot of respect for everyone else on this team, and they deserve to be #1 next year, but it would be clearer with another QB.

I am not without criticism for LSU. Clyde Edwards-Helaire continually lining up along the sidelines makes so little sense to me. I recall two targets - one successful, one abysmal. You are effectively down a receiver with this set due to his size, and it is just used SO often. Its not a bad offense necessarily, but I don't think this can work against Clemson. I also immediately thought it was a failure by Joe Brady to run three or four non-spread passes in key situations - very clear that there were no favorable matchups (that could develop quickly) even if you want to mix it up. Glad that stopped by the second quarter in favor of more QB runs and mixing in a short pass to CEH with the successful slants and deep routes.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #854 on: January 14, 2020, 12:26:17 AM »

LSU's season was truly one of the most impressive I've ever seen.  Joe Burrow probably had the best individual season in college football history.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #855 on: January 14, 2020, 12:26:28 AM »

I am quite certain that football has never made me so happy. I probably wanted it more in 2007, but this team was just so much more special.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #856 on: January 14, 2020, 12:54:16 AM »

My Final Top 10:
1. LSU
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Oregon
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Penn State
10. Wisconsin
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #857 on: January 14, 2020, 01:23:18 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2020, 01:28:50 AM by Old School Republican »

My Final Top 10:
1. LSU
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Oregon
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Penn State
10. Wisconsin

Lol at Bama being above Oregon or Georgia. Oregon played better again Auburn than Bama did(both teams did choke though) , and Oregon's bowl win was more impressive. Georgia clearly had more wins over quality opponents then Bama.

The Top 5 for this year are clearly

1. LSU
2. Clemson
3. Ohio St
4. Georgia
5. Oregon

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #858 on: January 14, 2020, 01:27:21 AM »

My Final Top 10:
1. LSU
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Oregon
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Penn State
10. Wisconsin

Flip Wisconsin and Florida and I actually agree...Alabama undoubtedly punched their top 5 credentials, and you almost have to consider them higher. Outplayed Auburn in everything but the score line.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #859 on: January 14, 2020, 01:29:15 AM »

My Final Top 10:
1. LSU
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Oregon
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Penn State
10. Wisconsin

Flip Wisconsin and Florida and I actually agree...Alabama undoubtedly punched their top 5 credentials, and you almost have to consider them higher. Outplayed Auburn in everything but the score line.

So did Oregon  and if you want to use lack of quality wins against Oregon , it is even a bigger hit against Bama cause at least Oregon took down a top 10 team in the Rose Bowl while Bama's only quality win was against Michigan who are no where near as good of a team as Wisconsin. 
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #860 on: January 14, 2020, 01:38:13 AM »

My Final Top 10:
1. LSU
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Oregon
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Penn State
10. Wisconsin

So did Oregon  and if you want to use lack of quality wins against Oregon , it is even a bigger hit against Bama cause at least Oregon took down a top 10 team in the Rose Bowl while Bama's only quality win was against Michigan who are no where near as good of a team as Wisconsin.  

Auburn outgained Oregon by 60 yards. Alabama outgained Auburn by a whopping 160 yards. These are the same thing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #861 on: January 14, 2020, 01:44:56 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2020, 01:53:31 AM by Old School Republican »

My Final Top 10:
1. LSU
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Oregon
7. Florida
8. Oklahoma
9. Penn State
10. Wisconsin

So did Oregon  and if you want to use lack of quality wins against Oregon , it is even a bigger hit against Bama cause at least Oregon took down a top 10 team in the Rose Bowl while Bama's only quality win was against Michigan who are no where near as good of a team as Wisconsin.  

Auburn outgained Oregon by 60 yards. Alabama outgained Auburn by a whopping 160 yards. These are the same thing.

Oregon was up 15 as well and clearly outplayed Auburn for the vast majority of the game(They were up in all but the last 10 seconds of that game). Using total yardage against Oregon is extremely misleading as Red Zone defense was one of Oregon's strengths this year which is why you would see teams over and over get to the Oregon 25 but would fail to capitalize over and over again.

Oregon didn't need to outgain teams this year to win, while Bama most certainly did as Oregon was a defensive-oriented team this year while Bama was an offensive one which is a reversal from the early 2010s.

The Rose Bowl was a huge example of this
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #862 on: January 14, 2020, 08:24:39 AM »

*** FINAL PICK'EM RESULTS ***

In the two championship games, everyone but YE picked LSU while everyone but sjoyce picked North Dakota State.  So those two went 1-1 and everyone else went 2-0.  That makes the final results (out of 405 total games):

298 sjoyce
284 GeorgiaModerate
277 ExtremeRepublican, Sprouts
274 Green Line
263 Illiniwek
258 JGibson
252 dfw
248 Dereich
232 RINO Tom
226 SunriseAroundTheWorld
145 1184AZ
113 YE
94 peenie_weenie
49 Ninja0428
17 Coastal Elitist, tmthforu94
13 Gorguf

Congratulations to sjoyce for a dominating performance!  He took the lead early in the season and just kept expanding it.  In the 14 regular season weeks (i.e. those with a full slate of 25 games) he won or tied for first six times (nobody else did it more than three) and only once was below 16 -- truly amazing consistency.

The best weekly performance (in the 25-game weeks) was 23-2 by me in week 14.  22-3 was done five times (ExtremeRepublican, me twice, RINO Tom, and sjoyce).  The worst was 8-17 (name withheld to protect the guilty).

Thanks to everyone for playing.  It's been fun!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies