Immigration hawks, where do you expect immigrants to come from?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:41:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Immigration hawks, where do you expect immigrants to come from?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Immigration hawks, where do you expect immigrants to come from?  (Read 3025 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2019, 02:59:58 PM »

If you want to scaremonger about low fertility, pick a better example. Japan doesn't seem like such a bad society to live in to most people.

Of course it has its social problems, like any other country, but Japan's oppressive work and gender norms have little to do with its aging population. If anything, the Japanese example shows that a rich country can maintain a high quality of life even in the midst of very low birth rates.

They're not putting old people out in the streets, either. This is a country that treats its elderly significantly better than we do here in the US.

By the way, the places in the US that look most like Japan are gentrifying neighborhoods in coastal cities, not the towns and small cities of the heartland in which anti-immigrant sentiment seems most fervent. The latter generally have relatively high birth rates among women of childbearing age.

Are you under the impression that immigration to the US is a problem? You seem to have moved to a more skeptical (at least) stance regarding immigration that would generally be seen as further to the Right. I apologize if I am mistaken.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2019, 06:15:53 PM »

Many of them  don't want immigrants, unless they're white.

What's wrong with that?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2019, 10:24:52 PM »

Many of them  don't want immigrants, unless they're white.

What's wrong with that?
Yeah...what’s wrong with only white people wanting immigrants?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 11:32:26 AM »

Literally anywhere, excluding the banned areas. America takes in one million legal immigrants every year, which is more than any other country in the world. Anyone trying to shame us into accepting illegal immigrants as well don't have a leg to stand on.

Liberals think that conservatives are against certain groups of immigrants... black, Latino, whatever. The only group we oppose is illegal. The vast majority of illegal immigrants are Latino. That's not our fault, and yet liberals will consistently use this as a way of misrepresenting the motives conservatives have.

Welcome, rookie. You gave my answer.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2019, 01:04:27 PM »

Latinos are not going to kill american culture or something. Be grateful for what you have America.
And the immigrants Europe gets will?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 10:41:56 PM »

Latinos are not going to kill american culture or something. Be grateful for what you have America.
And the immigrants Europe gets will?
"Kill" is a too strong word, but when in central European countries:
(1) 73% Muslims say Sharia law is more important than the secular laws of the state
(2) 47% of German Muslims agreed with the statement that following the rules of one's religion is more important than democracy
(3) 69% of Muslims in Austria say they reject homosexuals as friends, 63% say Jews cannot be trusted, and 66% believe the West seeks to destroy Islam
(4) only 18% of Muslims in the UK agree that Homosexuality should be legal there,

then yes, that is completely incompatible and a threat to our Culture and Values in Europe. Not that it is necessarily the fault of the individuals in question. But it is the consequence of a failed integration policy and an immigration policy that takes in a unsustainable number of people, mostly without formal education or qualifications, with values that are irreconcilable with ours.

For that is something that the U.S. does better, and its the reason why American Muslims tend to be from a far more secular and educated background.
While linking to the Gatestone Institute is very suspect, and I am pretty sure that these numbers are better among young Muslims than older Muslims, I do take your overall point: these numbers are quite worrying. However, it's a huge stretch to say Muslims are a threat to European culture and values due to their small numbers, and I fail to see the connection to U.S. immigration policy, because Immigration Hawks are typically also not huge fans of U.S. immigration policy either. Plus, I will point out that these immigrants are fully legal.

Slightly unrelated, but what's your opinion of the Canadian immigration system?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »

A pluralistic society, by its very nature, would not call groups within it who disagree with the majority on some issues “not part of our society.” Furthermore, I think most people of faith (myself included) do believe our faith is more important than democracy.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »

and generally the whole idea of immigration and identity is very different in Canada than in Europe. Canadian Identity is strongly values-based, while most European Identites are founded on strong linguistic, cultural and to a lesser degree even ethnic identity.
Indeed, in my view this is the big issue with immigration in Europe, and I don’t know what can/should be done about it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies