Immigration hawks, where do you expect immigrants to come from? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:13:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Immigration hawks, where do you expect immigrants to come from? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Immigration hawks, where do you expect immigrants to come from?  (Read 3006 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« on: July 22, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »

Since EB-5 is so cheap, the US could attract a lot more quality middle-class immigrants if it did not have worldwide individual taxation.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:07:25 PM »

Since EB-5 is so cheap, the US could attract a lot more quality middle-class immigrants if it did not have worldwide individual taxation.

Also Worldwide individual taxation is literally one of the most Immoral things that exists in the United States.

Something we can agree on 💯
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:32:00 PM »

Also Worldwide individual taxation is literally one of the most Immoral things that exists in the United States.

You benefit from being an American whether you're in America or not, in a way that citizens of other countries do not from their respective countries.

Territorial taxation would just give rich people an opportunity to shift money abroad to avoid taxes.

Because that worked out so well for Otto Warmbier. Roll Eyes Please enlighten us on this form of American Exceptionalism. Sharing a taxation system with Burma and Eritrea is not exactly a badge of honor.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 12:42:14 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2019, 12:46:36 PM by Santander »

I mean, there are plenty of reasons to immigrate somewhere that aren't to do with the immediate impact on your income: life experience, curiosity, even career development.

That isn't immigration, that is international mobility. Expats aren't immigrants.

Immigrant, by definition, means taking up permanent residence in another country.

immigrant
NOUN
A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/immigrant
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 01:18:10 PM »

I would be inclined to disagree. In practice,Temporary guest workers get called "immigrants" in practice - and most countries differentiate between non-permanent and permanent residency status, but people in both groups would be refered to as immigrants.

Expat is just a term for nice middle class people in well paid jobs to feel better about themselves.

I grew up with and have lived most of my life as an expat (both the compound type and the integrated type), and my entire life as an immigrant. Nobody I have encountered, whether from an Anglo-Saxon country or not, developed country or not, considered themselves an immigrant until they put down roots. They just considered themselves foreigners or expats, including my current colleagues, the majority of whom were born in the UK.

With that being said, for the purposes of this thread, the distinction is not particularly relevant.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »

I grew up as an immigrant too - and I know the phenomena that you're speaking of well. But the difference between how people perceive of themselves, and how they are perceived by the host country, is, well, it can be pretty drastic.

And of course, immigration statistics don't tend to differentiate there.

I certainly agree on both accounts there.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 06:15:53 PM »

Many of them  don't want immigrants, unless they're white.

What's wrong with that?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies