In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:48:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power  (Read 2189 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 08:18:06 PM »

Scott Walker was recalled over the underhanded tactics he used to force through collective bargaining restrictions for teachers despite promising not to support RTW on the campaign trail. Republicans are attempting to recall Kate Brown for... signing legislation she campaigned on? That enjoys broad support in the legislature and the public? Not sure the situations are comparable at all.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »

Recalling based on basic policy differences is too much of a slippery slope. At this point, I think the few I would be OK with it for is gerrymandering, voter suppression and things like that (in addition to criminal acts and such). Otherwise, I don't know where it ends. The only reason I think gerrymandering / etc deserve to be a reason is because they are acts designed to entrench the ruling party's power no matter what the election result is. That is fundamentally at odds with free and fair elections. Also, I'm a little less judgy with recall efforts executed with no party support and those that do have official support. I mean, if your party's strategy includes using recalls to try and have do-over elections just for power's sake, you're just corrupting the system for partisan reasons.

Although, admittedly these new recall efforts by Republicans are extraordinarily weak on the merits and amount to nothing more than "they are DEMOCRATS! we can't wait!"
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 09:21:30 PM »

Also, a recall effort against Dunleavy in Alaska is apparently going to launch on the first of August. Will be interesting to see if they can manage to gather the signatures, and if the recall is successful, the Lt. Gov would become Governor of Alaska.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 10:13:21 PM »

Also, a recall effort against Dunleavy in Alaska is apparently going to launch on the first of August. Will be interesting to see if they can manage to gather the signatures, and if the recall is successful, the Lt. Gov would become Governor of Alaska.

Tbh that's not that unreasonable provided the lt Gov is always from the same party.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2019, 10:39:44 PM »

Scott Walker was recalled over the underhanded tactics he used to force through collective bargaining restrictions for teachers despite promising not to support RTW on the campaign trail. Republicans are attempting to recall Kate Brown for... signing legislation she campaigned on? That enjoys broad support in the legislature and the public? Not sure the situations are comparable at all.

Yeah, comparing Republicans wanting to recall Brown to Democrats wanting to recall Walker is quite the false equivalence.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2019, 11:24:30 PM »

To the Democrats upset in this thread, how is this any different from what y'all tried to do to Scott Walker?

That was different because Scott Walker was bad and Wisconsin was a titanium Democrat state.

Still crazy to me that there's no effort to recall the guy who admitted to basically being a huge racist in multiple different ways, which is one of the very few things I think probably could be worth an attempt. But maybe there's something I'm unclear about regarding the Virginia Constitution.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2019, 11:43:07 PM »

That was different because Scott Walker was bad and Wisconsin was a titanium Democrat state.

Still crazy to me that there's no effort to recall the guy who admitted to basically being a huge racist in multiple different ways, which is one of the very few things I think probably could be worth an attempt. But maybe there's something I'm unclear about regarding the Virginia Constitution.

Voters cannot initiate a recall of an elected official in Virginia
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2019, 11:52:59 PM »

Voters cannot initiate a recall of an elected official in Virginia

Yeah, there can't be an "effort to recall" when there's no possible way to go about conducting said "effort to recall" lol
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 12:00:22 AM »

Republicans trying this are locked in the mid-2010s where they think recall/off-year voters are educated and reliable R. Neither is true anymore.

For CO the highest profile prize Rs won in a recall* was Rochelle Galindo in Greeley. She was preceded by and succeeded by Democrats (who are married) and honestly her successor is probably a stronger candidate than she is. Not sure what they gained here other than maybe making some other candidates in swingy districts sweat a little (but I don't think there are very many of these). Any campaign to defeat Polis statewide is dumb.

* she didn't get voted out, but she faced a recall campaign and resigned after some rumors about her committing mysterious misdemeanor offenses
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2019, 05:36:28 AM »

The recall process is useful and it's really a shame that it's being abused en masse and actually becoming a national strategy to try to overturn election results. I get individual instances, even Democrats have done that, but this is getting to be excessive and a waste of public resources to essentially re-run elections.

Yes. I am displeased how politics is just a football game essentially now.

But somehow these recalls do not enrage me the same way gerrymandering does or defense of the current US Senate structure does.

Recalls don't change things much, only one time did it work...and that's because Davis was a useless hack that couldn't please anyone.  

In regards to Gray Davis, this is really not accurate.  He was recalled as a result of the brown outs and large increases in energy prices allowed as a result of the previous Republican Administrations deregulating the energy utilities.  It turned out that Enron and others energy companies manipulated the whole thing in order to raise prices (energy is inelastic.)

Whether Davis was a hack or not is another matter, but what clearly brought him down was not what was claimed at the time, that the governor's incompetence was behind the brown-outs and price increases.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/enron-traders-caught-on-tape/
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2019, 11:08:58 AM by Bagel23 »

Get in the van pendejos, we gonna "recal" Polis.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »

Yeah the Gray Davis recall was a gigantic conspiracy by industry and the Republicans to create a crisis and install a more pro business administration by any means necessary. One of the most despicable chapters in politics and not something that should ever be repeated.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2019, 04:54:05 PM »

To the Democrats upset in this thread, how is this any different from what y'all tried to do to Scott Walker?

Only western "progressive" states have recalls in general.
Vittorio
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2019, 05:25:01 PM »

Only western "progressive" states have recalls in general.

A demonstration of the fact that Progressivism is bourgeois, and that conservatism is incapable of overcoming Progressivism, for it always incorporates the latter's advancements in to itself.
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2019, 10:56:38 PM »

Lol recalls are so dumb. Like, unless that governor is so unpopular, you're just gonna end up pissing off the other side and fail to mobilize your own (with the exception of Gray Davis). Trying it on a blue state Democrat like Kate Brown is dumb.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2019, 02:53:08 PM »

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »

Who could have ever predicted this outcome?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies