Dave 'Hawk' for D4 Senate Campaign HQ (Albany, Georgia)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:55:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Dave 'Hawk' for D4 Senate Campaign HQ (Albany, Georgia)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dave 'Hawk' for D4 Senate Campaign HQ (Albany, Georgia)  (Read 894 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2005, 08:31:54 AM »
« edited: December 02, 2005, 10:41:28 AM by D4 Senate Candidate Dave 'DemoHawk' »

To D4 Electors and the people of Atlasia,

Following, my announcement to contest the District 4 Senate seat, I have stepped down as Chairman of Gray Plantation Company Ltd (the family business, which was founded in 1839), a company which has diversified over the course of the past century. While we continue to grow plantation crops, with the exception of tobacco (our assets in which having since been sold), our primary assets are in the retail and leisure private sectors throughout the South East Region but predominantly in Georgia, Florida and the Carolinas. Although, a family business the company is valuated in the region of $650m. As Chairman, I drew a salary of $75,000 pa

Over the years, my family has built up quite a reputation as benefactors. This, in part, was due to the establishment of the Gray Foundation– a fund, which operates to provide grants for struggling businesses. It was established using the money we obtained for the sale of our tobacco interests. Independent audits of which have that 97% of those firms, who have benefited from our help, have flourished

The family company throughout its history has suffered peaks and troughs but not since the Great Depression have we ever had to lay off workers. We operate a successful pension scheme, in association with several other companies, in which we contribute 8% to our employee’s 8%. Our average wage rate per hour is $9.55

Currently company net profits are primarily directed at re-investment (70%), 15% is apportioned to the Gray Foundation, 10% is shared among our employees, who are stakeholders and 5% directly to myself and other family stakeholders

Although I’m running as a candidate of the Christian Democratic Party, if elected, I will adopt a co-operative approach to addressing, and confronting, Atlasia's greatest issues and problems with all Senators irrespective of their party and political persuasions as well as with the President and his Cabinet

If elected, it is my intention to legislate in accordance with the principles of “wisdom, justice and moderation” and I will leave no stone unturned to see if existing Statutes can be improved, whether in full or by modification

If you have any questions regarding my positions on the issues, here is the place to ask me

Best wishes,

Dave ‘Hawk’ Gray
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 08:35:28 AM »

To D4 Electors and the people of Atlasia,

Following, my announcement to contest the District 4 Senate seat, I have stepped down as Chairman of Gray Plantation Company Ltd (the family business, which was founded in 1839), a company which has diversified over the course of the past century. While we continue to grow plantation crops, with the exception of tobacco (our assets in which having since been sold), our primary assets are in the retail and leisure private sectors throughout the South East Region but predominantly in Georgia, Florida and the Carolinas. Although, a family business the company is valuated in the region of $650m. As Chairman, I drew a salary of $75,000 pa
Are you still keeping slaves?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 08:38:21 AM »

No, but we are still very much the benevolent paternalists now that we were back then. I pride myself on good employment practices

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 09:03:25 AM »

No, but we are still very much (what) we were back then.
Uh-oh...remind me never to seek a job with your company.
Although Richius might like one, he's into that sort of stuff.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 09:31:06 AM »

You'd need never worry about healthcare costs either. Much of the family share of the profits help substantially towards those. Yes, I'm an enlightened capitalist Wink, who puts the interests of his employees over his own

Dave
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 10:26:36 AM »

You'd need never worry about healthcare costs either. Much of the family share of the profits help substantially towards those. Yes, I'm an enlightened capitalist Wink, who puts the interests of his employees over his own

Dave

Atlasia's very own Robert Owen Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 02:38:08 PM »

What is your opinion on Atlasian withdrawal from the United Nations?

Would you have supported CAFTA?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 09:04:55 AM »

What is your opinion on Atlasian withdrawal from the United Nations?

Would you have supported CAFTA?

Thanks for your questions Senator Smiley, I'll take each in turn:

1) While, I'm undoubtedly committed to world peace through both diplomacy as well as through military strength, my heart tells me to be committed to the United Nations but my head tells me otherwise. In principle, I support the 'idea' of the United Nations but the events in the run-up to the Iraq War have left me feeling extremely disappointed. Rather than all-out withdrawing from the United Nations, I'd prefer it if rogue states had their influence reduced, or were expelled, and those of the free world enhanced. I also believe that the UN Security Council is in need of reform with China, France and Russia losing their permanent membership status, or at least their 'veto', due to their inability to put global security interests above all else. However, any failure to reform the UN Security Council and the wider organisation should, if necessary lead to withdrawal. It would be a tough decision as it may undermine our international status but our national security is of paramount importance and if the UN undermines this with a stance that kind of resembles a tiger with no teeth, then withdrawal is an option but I stress it should only be the option of last resort

2) In principle, I support free trade and believe that economies are fundamentally established for the wider benefit of humanity and the societies, in which we live. Free trade is certainly fair in that it gives developing economies further opportunities, the economic benefits of which can enrich their societies and the everyday lives of its inhabitants. Furthermore, it can reduce their dependency on Atlasian and wider Western aid, which is, ultimately, beneficial to our own interests. However, such policies must run in tandem with the process of democratisation and it is my opinion that Central America has made huge progress in recent years. However, I feel that it is necessary to do whatever action is necessary to avoid job losses at home and exploitation abroad. On this basis, I would have supported CAFTA because I feel that protectionist tariffs could have a negative impact on developing economies. As an employer, CAFTA has the potential to increase prosperity throughout Central America, which has the potential to help, for example, the tourist industry, in which my company, for example, has a significant stake in several southern states and this enhances the security of a significant part of my workforce. No trade system if perfect - and one's man's [sic] bread can be another's butter and we must make some provision for any possible negative impact on the Atlasian economy and Atlasian jobs

Dave 'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 09:31:32 AM »

It's quiet, unless the good Citizens of Atlasia know me pretty well enough to know where I stand Smiley

Dave
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 11:30:51 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2005, 05:35:10 PM by Frodo »

I have several questions I want to ask you:

1. As you know, certain states in your district are among the poorest in Atlasia (particularly Deep South states like Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina), a minimum wage set to the federal standard of $5.15/hr, and no higher.  Would you support a raise in the minimum wage to a level at which workers could live above the poverty line AND raise their families, and if so, by how much?  Also, how would you account for the fact that small businesses may be less able to deal with a minimum wage raise than major corporations like Wal-Mart?

2. Due to the passage of free trade agreements like NAFTA, there has been a great deal of economic dislocation with textile factories and other industries moving overseas out of the region, leaving rural areas bereft of job opportunities and mired in poverty.  How will you approach this problem?  What would you do to bring new industries to economically depressed areas?

3. What is your position on the Balanced Budget Amendment?  Do you think the Senate has done the right thing in seeking to overturn it?

4. What are your legislative priorities?   
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 06:15:30 AM »

1. As you know, certain states in your district are among the poorest in Atlasia (particularly Deep South states like Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina), a minimum wage set to the federal standard of $5.15/hr, and no higher.  Would you support a raise in the minimum wage to a level at which workers could live above the poverty line AND raise their families, and if so, by how much?  Also, how would you account for the fact that small businesses may be less able to deal with a minimum wage raise than major corporations like Wal-Mart?

Thanks Frodo Smiley

Firstly, I strongly support the minimum/fair wage and would have voted for the Fair Wage Act. I understand it was set at $5.15 per hour and due to increase by 0.50c over the next two years to increase to $6.15 - I'm aware that there are proposals stipulated by the Act to reduce it by 0.15c every quarter to a minimum of $5.50 in the event of negative GDP growth and an increase in the rate of unemployment to 7%. In principle, I'm firmly committed to increasing the fair wage in the long term to a minimum of $7.00 per hour (even as high as $7.50) - and indexing it with the rate of inflation, which will enable hard-working families to avoid falling into poverty. As a Christian, with a most profound social conscience, I'm committed to improving the quality of life for fellow Atlasians. As an employer, I'm a firm believer in employer's leading by example, which is why my previous salary as a company Chairman was not extortionate by today's standards. I'd have gone without a raise, or, indeed, even taken a cut, before my employess would. Indeed, while the average wage in my company is $9.55 per hour, the minimum is $7.50. The reason the average is relatively low in relation to this is because my company has, proverbally, more Indians than we do Chiefs

Furthermore, I see the minimum/fair wage as being a mechanism by which we can reduce dependency on welfare and, thus, have a positive impact on the public purse and our overall budget.  The more people earn the more they can save and spend, and this can enhance our economic growth

Of course, I'm aware that successful multi-nationals and other large companies are, generally, better positioned to pay the fair wage and, in favourable economic conditions, afford any increase in it. Therefore, for smaller companies with 500 employees or less it may be necessary to exempt them from any fair wage legislation or give them tax breaks to help them fulfill any commitment

In sum, as a proud Southerner and proud Atlasian, I'm committed to do whatever I can to raise living standards for hard-working familes in both District 4 and across Atlasia at large because it is both morally, socially and in favourable circumstances, economically, the right thing to do. However, the minimum/fair wage does need monitoring for any negative consequences in a downturn in economic growth, as this leads to higher unemployment and an increased dependency on welfare

Dave 'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 06:48:10 AM »

2. Due to the passage of free trade agreements like NAFTA, there has been a great deal of economic dislocation with textile factories and other industries moving overseas out of the region, leaving rural areas bereft of job opportunities and mired in poverty.  How will you approach this problem?  What would you do to bring new industries to economically depressed areas?

As, with my answer to Senator Ebowed, I can only re-iterate that I am in principle firmly committed to free trade - for the reasons, I have stated, but, with much sadness, it has not escaped my attention that the passage of Acts such as NAFTA, have caused a great deal of economic dislocation with textile factories and other industries moving overseas, and leaving rural areas, especially, without much-needed jobs and with morally unacceptable levels of poverty. As a result, I do feel that small town, rural and old industrial Atlasia need regeneration since this crisis has been created by an acute lack of employment opportunities and an increasingly eroding infrastructure, I firmly believe that Atlasia can do better and must do better

However, I'm under no illusion that such wrongs can be corrected overnight and it will require not only a long-term vision, but also a series of pragmatic, and affordable, policies to ultimately achieve the desired outcome. I firmly believe that economic redevelopment should largely be the domain of the Regions, but with federal assistance and/or guidance. The Applalachian Regional Commission is an effective example of regional development at work. Furthermore, other measures such as allocating structrual funds to recession hit industries via localised tax breaks and the setting up of enterprise zomes can be an option

Getting back to tackling outsourcing, I'd support tax breaksbeing given  to companies, who do not outsource jobs. The outsourcing of jobs is a potential attack on the living standards of hard working Atlasians and it is the responsible thing for government to do whatever they can, within reason and not jeopardising our overall economic well being, to encourage firms and companies to remain commited to the good health of the Atlasian economy. The erosion of living standards by the outsourcing of Atlasian jobs, furthermore, increases dependency on welfare and this has a negative impact on the public purse and the Atlasian taxpayer

We are the richest nation on God's Earth and we can and must to better for all citizens of Atlasia, when it comes to maintaning and enhancing the socio-economic opportunities afforded to us, which economic decline has, unaccepatbly, undermined in siginificant areas of small town, rural and old industrial Atlasia

Free trade is all very well, and should in all fairness be encouraged between democracies across all continents, but when safeguards need to protect Atlasian living standards and communities from being eroded then we must

I will also stress that as well as government having obligations, private enterprise do and together we can work towards building a greater and fairer Atlasia

Dave 'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 09:52:10 AM »

3. What is your position on the Balanced Budget Amendment?  Do you think the Senate has done the right thing in seeking to overturn it?

In principle, I support the ideal of having a balanced budget and firmly believe that it is the duty of all who are elected to public office to exercise fiscal responsibility. However, as a citizen of Atlasia I voted to support it’s overturning. I did so on the grounds that the most pressing issues and concerns of the day, such as further social security reform; the desired objective of attaining energy independence; Hurricane Katrina relief; and the ‘War On Terror’, together with the war in Iraq require funding in both the short and long term. In light of these issues and concerns, I believe that the Senate was right to seek the overturning of the Balanced Budget Amendment

However, while in favour of overturning the Balanced Budget Amendment, I firmly believe that all Senators, regardless of ideology, should seek a consensus and impose a limit on deficit spending, possibly in the region of $250bn (but if necessary, higher and if affordable, lower). I believe that it is essential to review spending across all departments of state and, where appropriate, cut wasteful programs wherever possible. We must ensure, however, I doing so that the positives outstrip the negatives

‘Fiscal responsibility’ must be the litmus test by which the executive and legislative branches of government are judged. I certainly oppose any effort to tax-and-spend for its own sake and I oppose any further tax cuts to those, who don’t need them but we should endeavour to provide companies with tax incentives to regenerate economically moribund areas, scientific research and pro-environment initiatives.   If a positive and active enabling legislative agenda is to be followed than it requires sustained economic growth and we must legislate to achieve the optimal conditions for this to happen

Dave 'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 09:58:27 AM »

4. What are your legislative priorities?   

My legislative priorities are generally concerned with:

Economic well-being – especially economic re-development and the provision of tax incentives to generate business in depressed areas
General welfare – further reform of social security, healthcare, welfare and education
Energy independence – fuel efficiency and alternative sources of energy initiatives

Above all, my legislative efforts will focus on creating an economic climate where for millions of Atlasians the possibility of hope transcends the reality of despair to which they have become familiar and much of my focus will centre on the ways in which we can attract new investment and job creation, which, I hope, will foster a culture of flourishing communities. At this point in time, I’m short on specifics

One legislate objective would be what I have termed the Voluntary Economic Assistance Scheme Fund Bill , which will be based on the model pioneered by the Gray Plantation Company Ltd and subsequently joined by other companies throughout the South East Region. This would allow companies’ party to the scheme to put 10% of their pre-tax profits into a Fund dedicated to providing grants for struggling firms, within the scheme, and where a firm is not salvageable to enable it to make enhanced redundancy payments. In return, the Bill would require a commitment on the part of members to contribute 5% of net profits into the scheme. At present, all companies’ party to the scheme contribute 15% of net profits and other companies, mostly smaller, have long expressed interest in joining if there was a tax incentive to do so. Of course, more specifics on how they will operate (i.e. at a Federal, Regional or sector level) would need to be thrashed out

Another initiative I will introduce will be the idea of a People’s Choice Public Holiday Act whereby the Regional Governors, Regional Senators and District Senators will each nominate a late citizen of Atlasia, who has made an enormous contribution to Atlasian society and changed it's destiny for the better. From the nominees, the President and Vice-President, will draw a shortlist of five, from which all voters will choose the successful nominee to which the public holiday will be bamed after. I believe that the hard work of Atlasians should be rewarded with another public holiday and giving them the final decision in who’s name it will be honoured will be a fitting tribute to that hard work

I also intend to review existing Statutes to see if they can be modified or repealed in any way to make them more effective and/or beneficial

In essence, my Episcopalian social conscience and my belief in social justice will guide my legislative priorities. I know many economic neo-liberals might be sceptical, cynical, or downright hostile about the notion of social justice, but it is what holds society together

Dave 'Hawk'
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 10:00:16 AM »

No, but we are still very much the benevolent paternalists now that we were back then. I pride myself on good employment practices

Dave

Wonderful, a slave-holder apologist.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 10:07:43 AM »

Dave

Wonderful, a slave-holder apologist.

I'm just merely stating a fact. Not all plantation owners treated their slaves brutally. In return for their labour, they were provided with food, shelter and clothing. Slavery is an abomination, but that was the way it was back then, however, wrong, and I wasn't around to challenge it

Dave
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 03:05:06 PM »

Thank you.  I have no further questions.  Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix