LGBT support event banned in West Bank by Palestinian Authority. Update. Unbanne
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:12:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  LGBT support event banned in West Bank by Palestinian Authority. Update. Unbanne
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGBT support event banned in West Bank by Palestinian Authority. Update. Unbanne  (Read 1103 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
« edited: August 30, 2019, 12:15:39 AM by Lfromnj stands with Sanchez. »

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/palestinian-authority-bans-lgbt-activities-in-west-bank

BDS for Palestine when?

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 07:14:21 PM »

but mah settlements!
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »

Compare this to Israel's record on the issue:

Tel Aviv has frequently been referred to by publishers as one of the most gay-friendly cities in the world,[3] famous for its annual Pride Parade and gay beach,[4] earning it the nickname "the gay capital of the Middle East" by Out magazine.[5] According to LGBT travelers, it was ranked as the best gay city in 2011,[6] despite reports of some LGBT violence during the 2000s,[7] which were criticized by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres. A monument dedicated to the gay victims of the Holocaust was erected in Tel Aviv in 2014.[8] Opinion polls have found that a majority of Israelis support the legalization of same-sex marriage,[9] as well as adoption and surrogacy rights for same-sex couples.[10]

This is one of many reasons my sympathy for the Palestinians is rather limited,and I'm puzzled by those who are so passionate about the cause. As does pretty much any country Israel has some significant problems, but I see nothing that suggests that if we wave a magic wand and give Palestinians their own state it would be a particularly pleasant one for anyone, especially sexual or religious minorities.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 04:00:26 PM »

Compare this to Israel's record on the issue:

Tel Aviv has frequently been referred to by publishers as one of the most gay-friendly cities in the world,[3] famous for its annual Pride Parade and gay beach,[4] earning it the nickname "the gay capital of the Middle East" by Out magazine.[5] According to LGBT travelers, it was ranked as the best gay city in 2011,[6] despite reports of some LGBT violence during the 2000s,[7] which were criticized by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres. A monument dedicated to the gay victims of the Holocaust was erected in Tel Aviv in 2014.[8] Opinion polls have found that a majority of Israelis support the legalization of same-sex marriage,[9] as well as adoption and surrogacy rights for same-sex couples.[10]

This is one of many reasons my sympathy for the Palestinians is rather limited,and I'm puzzled by those who are so passionate about the cause. As does pretty much any country Israel has some significant problems, but I see nothing that suggests that if we wave a magic wand and give Palestinians their own state it would be a particularly pleasant one for anyone, especially sexual or religious minorities.
The issue is based on the structural mistreatment of non-Jewish residents in the economic, political, and legal spheres on all levels of the conflict (inside Israel, PA relations, etc.). These are grave issues that must be treated for the stability of the region.

With that, it is disappointing that the Palestinian government chose to divide the people at this time. I blame this on their leadership being split now between the corporatist PLO and the Hamas movement. It is clear a shakeup in strategy and leadership is needed to serve the Palestinian people, for the whole of what’s good for them.
NeverAgainsSock
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »

Complex issue is complex, news at 11.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 04:50:24 PM »

With that, it is disappointing that the Palestinian government chose to divide the people at this time. I blame this on their leadership being split now between the corporatist PLO and the Hamas movement.
are you saying that if one of these sides had "won", they wouldn't be dividing the people over LGBT events?  'cause that would be insane, so it must be something else.
It is clear a shakeup in strategy and leadership is needed to serve the Palestinian people, for the whole of what’s good for them.
This has been true since at least 1947.  When do the people who support those leaders start taking a little blame?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »

Are we honestly shocked? The Palestinian government is generally opposed to a free, democratic society, and gay rights are, uniquely amongst similar causes, linked very, very closely to the state of democracy in basically every country around the world.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 04:59:47 PM »

is it?  People banning LGBT events are wrong.  That's pretty easy for me to say, not complex at all.  It's as easy as it is to say sucker punching people with different politics than you is wrong.  Political violence in a western country in 2019 is wrong, so is banning events that let LGBT people celebrate their LGBTness.  It's unfortunate that many people in the West hate Israel/Jews way more than the like brown homosexuals that don't get to live in a non-garbage country. It's gross and you're wrong.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 05:04:06 AM »

For your information, I tell you a settler killed a Palestinian child past month in Hebron. Sadly this is not an isolated crime, as settler drivers usually hit and run. Presumably the regime of military occupation fosters impunity for illegal settlers

https://daysofpalestine.com/post/12332/palestinian-child-killed-by-an-israeli-settler?fbclid=IwAR2K0-77-NYh1FF909ZJBqVVuzrGp9VGq3O9XPMlhLDdsEOaN0xwJbx5E_I

A Palestinian child was announced dead after being run over by an Israeli settler in Hebron city in the occupied West Bank last night.

Local sources reported that an Israeli settler driving at high speed ran and hit the 7-year-old Tareq Dhabanya on a road near Idhna town.

Eyewitnesses said the child was driving his bicycle on a road near where he lives when a settler from a nearby settlement rammed his car into him and escaped the scene.

The incident happened on Monday night and the child was pronounced dead at an early hour on Tuesday.

Last year, 43 car-ramming incidents were carried out by Jewish settlers against Palestinian citizens on roads in the West Bank and Jerusalem. They led to the death of four citizens and the injury of 33 others.

Anyway, I don't know what's the point of this thread. It's dumb to justify Israeli occupation on the grounds of the decision of the powerless Palestinian Authority to ban LGTB activities. While the decision is questionable and deserves condemnation, in no way justifies the abuses of the Israeli army and the illegal settlers. Moreover, I'm sure the latter don't give a f*** for the rights of the Palestinian LGTB community.

As for the Israeli record on LGTB rights, I tell you for your information that "pinkwashing" is a term usually associated to Israeli government. I don't need to remember you the last coalition governments have been participated by religious parties that oppose LGTB rights.

Personally I stand with the part of the civil society in Israel, the Occupied Territories or Gaza that supports LGTB people and reject the dumb hypocrites who use this issue to campaign for war criminals. Thank you
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 08:05:17 AM »

There's no way of knowing without a proper investigation whether that was vehicular manslaughter or murder.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »

There's no way of knowing without a proper investigation whether that was vehicular manslaughter or murder.

Given that it was posted from a pretty notorious propaganda site, I'll guess they don't care.

There's a pretty horrid history of taking car accidents involving Jews and turning them into a sinister plot to run down non-Jewish children for fun, too.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »

Given that it was posted from a pretty notorious propaganda site, I'll guess they don't care.

There's a pretty horrid history of taking car accidents involving Jews and turning them into a sinister plot to run down non-Jewish children for fun, too.

That site in particular id not my favourite, but such incidents sadly occur and it's not strange, given the context of prolonged military occupation and the encirclement of the Palestinian population in guettos or bantustans surrounded by armed forces and illegal settlers. The settlement located at the centre of the Palestinian town of Hebron is also notorious by the fanaticism of its few inhabitants. Settlers are usually a fanatic bunch, but those living in Hebron are among the worst. It's perfectly plausible that a racist and fanatic settler driving fast through the occupied territory hits a child and run. They know the so-called "civil administration" won't prosecute them. Only cases of blatant abuses that occasionally surface to the public attention are investigated.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea a Megathread pn Crime in the Occupied Territories.  It's a pity that Tender hates Muslims
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »

That site in particular id not my favourite, but such incidents sadly occur and it's not strange, given the context of prolonged military occupation and the encirclement of the Palestinian population in guettos or bantustans surrounded by armed forces and illegal settlers. The settlement located at the centre of the Palestinian town of Hebron is also notorious by the fanaticism of its few inhabitants. Settlers are usually a fanatic bunch, but those living in Hebron are among the worst. It's perfectly plausible that a racist and fanatic settler driving fast through the occupied territory hits a child and run. They know the so-called "civil administration" won't prosecute them. Only cases of blatant abuses that occasionally surface to the public attention are investigated.

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea a Megathread pn Crime in the Occupied Territories.  It's a pity that Tender hates Muslims

Feel free to do that, include the missiles too.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »

Would it be awfully complex to say I wouldn’t want to live in Palestine, and the treatment of LGBT individuals (and indeed many political activists) is awful by the PLO but equally that doesn’t justify, belittle or downgrade the awful treatment of Palestine, the destruction of villages etc
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:29 PM »

Well looks like the Palestinian Authority rescinded the ban on the group in question after mass outcry.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 10:56:43 PM »

that's...amazing?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 11:00:57 PM »

We spent trillions of dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and they still have anti gay laws.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »

We spent trillions of dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and they still have anti gay laws.
George W. Bush, circa 2001:
“We go into Afghanistan today, and Iraq tomorrow, to avenge a great wrong and to remove homophobia from their societies.”
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 06:53:47 PM »

Would it be awfully complex to say I wouldn’t want to live in Palestine, and the treatment of LGBT individuals (and indeed many political activists) is awful by the PLO but equally that doesn’t justify, belittle or downgrade the awful treatment of Palestine, the destruction of villages etc

The point is that it's perfectly possible to criticize the Palestinian Authority and stand for the right of the Palestinian people to exist
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 08:39:49 PM »

Can the thread be updated to correctly document this sequence of events?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 02:04:42 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2019, 02:15:47 PM by Parrotguy »

I think it wouldn't be a bad idea a Megathread pn Crime in the Occupied Territories.  It's a pity that Tender hates Muslims

Feel free to do that, include the missiles too.

Yeah, and the many terror attacks specifically targeting innocent Israeli civilians and children. Especially those carried out by orders from above, rather than some fanatics. Oh, and maybe include the grossly antisemitic incitement in the Palestinian education system that leads to many of these attacks, while you're at it.

With that, it is disappointing that the Palestinian government chose to divide the people at this time. I blame this on their leadership being split now between the corporatist PLO and the Hamas movement. It is clear a shakeup in strategy and leadership is needed to serve the Palestinian people, for the whole of what’s good for them.

Which people are they dividing? I'm asking for real, because this feels like an empty politician-statement to me. The majority of their people are sadly not supportive of LGBTQ rights, to say the least. And the oppression of LGBTQ people is definitely not happening because the leadership is split between the corporatist (?) PLO and the authoritarian terrorists of Hamas. As for leadership shakeup- yes, sure. If the Palestinians find a new, moderate leadership and Israel elects a government willing to compromise too, that'd be the only way to solve this conflict as of now. But it's a fantasy of the highest order, so the corporatists are surely preferable (except if one likes being dragged accross a road by a motorcycle for opposing the government).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies