LC 3.6 Tax Breaks For Solar Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:16:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 3.6 Tax Breaks For Solar Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LC 3.6 Tax Breaks For Solar Act (Tabled)  (Read 521 times)
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2019, 05:54:07 PM »
« edited: August 05, 2019, 10:33:47 PM by Pyro »

The Tax Breaks For Solar Act

AN ACT relative to tax exemptions for the installation of solar panels.

1. Any property owner who installs solar panels generating more than 0.5 kWh per day on their home or other non-commercial structure on their property may receive 20% off of their local property tax bill upon filing a notice with their local tax collector declaring the installation of such solar panels.
a. This 20% tax forgiveness will last for three years following the installation of such solar panels.
b. No property owner may file for the tax forgiveness more than once per non-commercial property.
2. Any property owner who installs solar panels generating more than 2 kWh per day on a commercial structure on their property may receive 25% off of their local property tax bill upon filing a notice with their local tax collector declaring the installation of such solar panels.
a. This 20% tax forgiveness will last for three years following the installation of such solar panels.
b. No property owner may file for this tax forgiveness more than once per commercial property.

Sponsor: DKrol

The Debating Period has commenced. It shall last no less than 72 hours.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:01:23 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Our demand for fossil fuels has put our planet on a crash course for impending failure. We are extracting fossil fuels are records rates, not only depleting the supplies of them but also contributing to the increase in the Earth's temperature. We cannot continue down this path. I am proud of the steps Lincoln and the nation have taken towards combating this crisis - it is a crisis - but we cannot become complacent. This bill will incentivize property owners, both commercial and residential, to install solar panels on their property, reducing their dependence on the electric grid, which is still vastly reliant on fossil fuels. This bill will not solve the fossil fuel crisis, but it will help. In combination with the Smart Energy Act the First Council passed during my time as Chancellor, I believe this bill will set Lincoln up as a leader in the green revolution we need in order to continue on this planet.

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 06:23:52 PM »

While I support the increased usage of renewable energy, and thus bringing over incentives for it, I have my doubts over the amount of tax breaks provided. 20% off property taxes just seems like too much. While I don’t have the lucky number for it, I would like to hear the sponsor’s and other Councilors insight and opinions on this matter.

Going further, I do like that this is a one-time, short break from the property taxes. Anything more would be excessive and basically a way to game the system.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »

Would the honorable Chancellor be amenable to a provision where the forgiveness is lower, say 5%, but does carry over for, say, three years? My goal is to make it a worthwhile incentive for Lincoln property owners to take the step towards a more green future. I’m not sure if a one-time forgiveness of 5% would achieve that goal.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 10:38:00 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2019, 11:39:44 PM by PSOL »

Would the honorable Chancellor be amenable to a provision where the forgiveness is lower, say 5%, but does carry over for, say, three years? My goal is to make it a worthwhile incentive for Lincoln property owners to take the step towards a more green future. I’m not sure if a one-time forgiveness of 5% would achieve that goal.
Let’s compromise and say 10%, 12.5% on a commercial structure in this friendly amendment.

Reasonable Property Tax Deductions Amendment

1. Any property owner who installs solar panels generating more than 0.5 kWh per day on their home or other non-commercial structure on their property may receive 20%10% off of their local property tax bill upon filing a notice with their local tax collector declaring the installation of such solar panels.
a. This 20%10% tax forgiveness will last for three years following the installation of such solar panels.
b. No property owner may file for the tax forgiveness more than once per non-commercial property.
2. Any property owner who installs solar panels generating more than 2 kWh per day on a commercial structure on their property may receive 25%12.5%  off of their local property tax bill upon filing a notice with their local tax collector declaring the installation of such solar panels.
a. This 20%12.5% tax forgiveness will last for three years following the installation of such solar panels.
b. No property owner may file for this tax forgiveness more than once per commercial property.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 10:52:42 PM »

I will accept the amendment as friendly when 2a is correct from 10% to 12.5%.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 11:41:23 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2019, 01:08:04 AM by Deputy GM Encke »

Didn't someone write a similar bill to this in an earlier session? I remember costing a renewable energy incentives bill earlier this year.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 12:02:23 AM »

While I support the increased usage of renewable energy, and thus bringing over incentives for it, I have my doubts over the amount of tax breaks provided. 20% off property taxes just seems like too much. While I don’t have the lucky number for it, I would like to hear the sponsor’s and other Councilors insight and opinions on this matter.

Going further, I do like that this is a one-time, short break from the property taxes. Anything more would be excessive and basically a way to game the system.

I agree. This could be serious downfall in some local governments revenue If the regional government isn't compensating which as it stands  we can not afford.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »

There was another energy encentive bill passed when I was Chancellor, the Smart Energy Act. The difference between the Smart Energy Act and the Tax Breaks For Solar Act is that the SEA rebate a percentage of the costs of the installation of various green energy projects from their regional tax filing, while the TBSA forgives a percentage of the total local property tax burden. The SEA rebate is a one-time benefit, the TBSA is a recurring benefit for several years.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 07:10:25 PM »

I will need Chancellor PSOL to accept this offer, otherwise the amendment will be considered unfriendly.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 09:02:17 PM »

I will need Chancellor PSOL to accept this offer, otherwise the amendment will be considered unfriendly.
I would be amenable to that.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 09:11:16 PM »

Point of Order: Why does the Chancellor have the ability to decide if an amendment to my bill is friendly or not?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »

Point of Order: Why does the Chancellor have the ability to decide if an amendment to my bill is friendly or not?

He doesn't. The amendment put forward by PSOL can only have its text changed if he supports it, however. Since he has stated his approval for this change, it is my understanding that you would determine this a friendly amendment. Let us know if the amendment as written has your support.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 09:51:38 PM »

He doesn't. The amendment put forward by PSOL can only have its text changed if he supports it, however. Since he has stated his approval for this change, it is my understanding that you would determine this a friendly amendment. Let us know if the amendment as written has your support.

It is.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2019, 07:24:10 PM by Pyro »

Amendment L 3:06 by PSOL to LC 3.6 Tax Breaks For Solar Act

The Tax Breaks For Solar Act

AN ACT relative to tax exemptions for the installation of solar panels.

1. Any property owner who installs solar panels generating more than 0.5 kWh per day on their home or other non-commercial structure on their property may receive 20% 10% off of their local property tax bill upon filing a notice with their local tax collector declaring the installation of such solar panels.
a. This 20% 10% tax forgiveness will last for three years following the installation of such solar panels.
2. Any property owner who installs solar panels generating more than 2 kWh per day on a commercial structure on their property may receive 25% 12.5% off of their local property tax bill upon filing a notice with their local tax collector declaring the installation of such solar panels.
a. This 20% 12.5% tax forgiveness will last for three years following the installation of such solar panels.

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Status: 24 Hours for Objection, Otherwise Added to the Bill
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »

Regarding this legislation, I certainly applaud Councilor DKrol in authoring this measure to move this region forward with renewable energies. I could support the general idea of utilizing incentives to boost the popularity of installing new solar panels, however I generally do not favor a blanket easing of property taxation, and especially not so on residential housing. Middle-class families should certainly benefit from some form of tax easing as described in this bill, but when we are discussing high-income housing, I would favor a far lower tax incentive, if any, and I would not lump various property types together (ie, "non-commercial structure"s).

I understand the urgent necessity of shifting power sources to green energy, and to be sure I absolutely stand by such an initiative, but I would be neglecting my position in this government if I failed to bring up the fact that our regional budget stands in an $83B deficit. The property tax as projected in its present shape is set to raise $180B. I am unsure if lowering taxes is the best means to achieve the goal of attaining a green revolution, and I think it is unwise to proceed with such a move until we solve the budget crisis.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 09:43:55 PM »

To those unsure about budgetary issues, I have definitely impacted these issues with my revolutionary progressive fossil fuel taxation bill set to make everyone pay they’re fair share. The structure of it allows those most affected to prepare themselves and still consume at a reasonable level after paying their fair share for the environment. In the light of this admittedly large tax cut, and the uncertainty regarding effects of both plans, I propose actually merging the two bills and debating them there. Of course, such a request is at the behest of Dkrolga, and its implementation requires an analysis from the GM team.

So what is the proper response?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 05:52:37 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I move to withdraw this bill from the floor.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »

I motion to table this bill.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »

Councilors, a Vote on the Motion to Table is now OPEN

Please vote AYE (In Favor of the Motion), NAY (Opposed to the Motion), or Abstain.
This vote shall last 48 Hours or until all Councilors have voted.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 10:13:42 PM »

Aye
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 11:33:02 PM »

Aye