S.19.3-6: Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019 (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 01:58:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.3-6: Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019 (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.19.3-6: Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019 (Debating)  (Read 2357 times)
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2019, 03:05:34 AM »

Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019
   To grow wealth in low-income urban and rural communities.
In the Southern Chamber of Delegates
The Bill

Section 1: Short Title
   This policy wil be titled the Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019
Section 2: Findings
   The Chamber of Delegates finds the following
(1)   Low-income communities are unable to spur job growth and increase economic output in their communities
(2)   Middle class and wealthy communities are able to do this under the current tax system
(3)   Many low-income communities would like to rebuild themselves without interference from government
(4)   Incentives ought to be provided to local businesses in low-income communities and other businesses in the South
(5)   Culture is important in these communities and it’s crucial for the communities to hire from within
Section 3: Implementation
   The Chamber of Delegates proposes the following in three phases:
Short Term:
   The best way to spur growth in communities is to reduce the crowding-out effect of government. Allow business owners and individuals from these communities the free reigns of deciding how to conduct economic growth
(1)   Repeal the following regional business taxes: Corporate income tax, capital gains tax, and the payroll tax
(2)   Adding a tax credit of $250 to each business per new hire of an individual from their home community
Mid Term:
   Reinvestment is crucial to the survival of low-income communities. Tax cuts help create the environment. Reinvestment creates the pillar that allows said communities to flourish.
(1)   Double the amount of expensing of all business costs
(2)   Suspend and nullify all federal regulations in areas designated as Economic Freedom Zones
(3)   Appoint officials to coordinate with business owners in areas with restricted land to lower restrictions.
Long-Term Reinvestment:
   Increasing both economic opportunities and economic mobility in these disadvantaged communities.
(1)   Create a voucher program for communities designated as Economic Freedom Zones.
(2)   Provide a new $1500 tax credit per child for parents or guardians
(3)   Establish a new Business-Academic Tax credit for businesses that provide scholarships or financial aid to employers and residents in their communities.
(4)   Increase the number of Southern resident applicants in order to raise the number of entrepreneurs
Sponsor: Delegate DeadPrez
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2019, 11:27:37 AM by Elcaspar »

I cannot support this bill in it's current form in good conscience. The unilateral repeal of corporate income tax, capital gains tax, and the payroll tax, as well as the nullification of federal regulations would not create wealth among most low-income citizens, or even the local businesses you intent to help, it would mostly benefit large corporations who move into these zones. There is no need for these Economic Freedom Zones. We have a surplus here in the Southern Region, why not put it to better use by leaving out the tax cuts and regulation cutback, and instead use it everywhere else in the bill. Therefore i propose some amendments to the bill.

(1)   Low-income communities are unable to spur job growth and increase economic output in their communities
(2)   Middle class and wealthy communities are able to do this under the current tax system
(3)   Many low-income communities would like to rebuild themselves with tax credits from government, due to lack of capital.
(4)   Incentives ought to be provided to local businesses in low-income communities and other businesses in the South
(5)   Culture is important in these communities and it’s crucial for the communities to hire from within

Short Term:
The best way to spur growth in communities is to provide business owners and individuals from these communities with tax credits to spur growth in said communities.
(1)   Repeal the following regional business taxes: Corporate income tax, capital gains tax, and the payroll tax
(1)   Adding a tax credit of $250 to each business per new hire of an individual from their home
community

Mid Term:
  Reinvestment is crucial to the survival of low-income communities. Tax credits help create this environment. Reinvestment creates the pillar that allows said communities to flourish.
(1)   Double the amount of expense of all business costs
(2)   Suspend and nullify all federal regulations in areas designated as Economic Freedom Zones
(2)   Appoint officials to coordinate with business owners in areas with restricted land to lower restrictions.

Long-Term Reinvestment:
   Increasing both economic opportunities and economic mobility in these disadvantaged communities.
(1)   Create a voucher program for communities designated as Economic Freedom Zones.
(1)   Provide a new $1500 tax credit per child for parents or guardians
(2)   Establish a new Business-Academic Tax credit for businesses that provide scholarships or financial aid to employers and residents in their communities.
(3)   Increase the number of Southern resident applicants in order to raise the number of entrepreneurs.

Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 02:49:58 PM »

I cannot support this bill in it's current form in good conscience. The unilateral repeal of corporate income tax, capital gains tax, and the payroll tax, as well as the nullification of federal regulations would not create wealth among most low-income citizens, or even the local businesses you intent to help, it would mostly benefit large corporations who move into these zones. There is no need for these Economic Freedom Zones. We have a surplus here in the Southern Region, why not put it to better use by leaving out the tax cuts and regulation cutback, and instead use it everywhere else in the bill. Therefore i propose some amendments to the bill.

(1)   Low-income communities are unable to spur job growth and increase economic output in their communities
(2)   Middle class and wealthy communities are able to do this under the current tax system
(3)   Many low-income communities would like to rebuild themselves with tax credits from government, due to lack of capital.
(4)   Incentives ought to be provided to local businesses in low-income communities and other businesses in the South
(5)   Culture is important in these communities and it’s crucial for the communities to hire from within

Short Term:
The best way to spur growth in communities is to provide business owners and individuals from these communities with tax credits to spur growth in said communities.
(1)   Repeal the following regional business taxes: Corporate income tax, capital gains tax, and the payroll tax
(1)   Adding a tax credit of $250 to each business per new hire of an individual from their home
community

Mid Term:
  Reinvestment is crucial to the survival of low-income communities. Tax credits help create this environment. Reinvestment creates the pillar that allows said communities to flourish.
(2)   Suspend and nullify all federal regulations in areas designated as Economic Freedom Zones
(2)   Appoint officials to coordinate with business owners in areas with restricted land to lower restrictions.

Long-Term Reinvestment:
(1)   Create a voucher program for communities designated as Economic Freedom Zones.
(2)   Establish a new Business-Academic Tax credit for businesses that provide scholarships or financial aid to employers and residents in their communities.
(3)   Increase the number of Southern resident applicants in order to raise the number of entrepreneurs.

I think you completely misunderstand what the tax cuts will do. While it is true that large corporations can come into these zones, it is also true that many of these large corporations are run by minorities, who would be more than willing to move in and give back to their community. The tax cuts lower the cost for providing opportunity into these regions and that should be the goal. Additionally, it lowers the cost for small businesses which will be better suited to fit the needs of these communities.

The South has a surplus. That is true What is also true is we have a responsibility to our constituents, and more importantly, to marginalized and disenfranchised communities that have been unintentionally abandoned by society. This bill helps fix this problem and strengthens low-income communities.

I'm unsure why you object to a voucher
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 03:52:57 PM »

Do we have regional cap gains or payroll taxes?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »

I will be opposing this for the same reasons as Delegate Elcaspar has stated, I'd support a tax cut for low-income families, but I do not believe in giving business tax cuts period.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »

Obviously I do not live in this region, but

(2)   Suspend and nullify all federal regulations in areas designated as Economic Freedom Zones

Even the CRA?  ADA?  Just how far does this go?  There is no way this is legal or constitutional.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2019, 04:34:10 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

Obviously I do not live in this region, but

Even the CRA?  ADA?  Just how far does this go?  There is no way this is legal or constitutional.

Probably not here. IIRC this was an old Rand Paul bill idea which means it would have been federal originally, thus explaining the CG and Payroll taxes referenced. Again, IIRC it wasn't really ALL federal regulations in the bill if you actually read it instead of just Rand Paul's talking points which sort of implied that it was all. Pretty sure the big exemptions were for like CAA NAAQS attainment and CWA 404 permits, which would reduce costs for businesses in the zones. I'll see what I can find although I got a neighborhood group board meeting in like an hr so I may not find it til later.

Edit: Nevermind ... I forgot how convenient the internet is.

1. CAA NAAQS Attainment
2. CWA NPDES Permits (NOT 404 doh!)
3. Extra EIS requirements than set by NEPA on federal highway projects
4. Wild and Scenic Rivers Act limits on land use and development
5. National Heritage Area limits on land use and development
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 10:52:10 PM »

Do we have regional cap gains or payroll taxes?

I should have checked on that first. If there are sections that don't apply to the game, I'll modify
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 07:37:13 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2019, 07:58:34 AM by Southern Speaker Muaddib »

All Businesses that opted in have received a tax cut from the Tax Inclusive Pricing Scheme (TIPS). Passed last session.

Small and Medium Business are the biggest employers. So if there are to be any business incentives, that is where one will get the most effect. It's these businesses that are most likely to give someone a fair go at a job.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »

Quote from: Elcaspar's amendments

Short Term:
community

Mid Term:

Long-Term Reinvestment:

I believe we should debate these proposed amendments put forward by Delegate Elcaspar.

Apologies if I've made some errors in the amendments i am a little tired right now.

May I request that edits for amendments please be made in the following format
Quote from: Suggested Amendment Style Guide
Original text, Text edited out. New added text
I think that the above format makes it easier to see the changes in the text.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »

So there are no business taxes in the south?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 03:16:46 PM »

I'd also like to keep the school voucher portion, allowing parents more flexibility in what school they choose for their children
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »

Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019
In the Southern Chamber of Delegates
The Bill

Section 1: Short Title
   This policy wil be titled the Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2019
(1)   Low-income communities are unable to spur job growth and increase economic output in their communities
(2)   Middle class and wealthy communities are able to do this under the current tax system
(3)   Many low-income communities would like to rebuild themselves without interference from government
(4)   Incentives ought to be provided to local businesses in low-income communities and other businesses in the South
(5)   Culture is important in these communities and it’s crucial for the communities to hire from within
Section 3: Implementation
   The Chamber of Delegates proposes the following in three phases:
Short Term:
   The best way to spur growth in communities is to reduce the crowding-out effect of government. Allow business owners and individuals from these communities the free reigns of deciding how to conduct economic growth
(1)   Repeal the following regional business taxes: Corporate income tax
(2)   Adding a tax credit of $250 to each business per new hire of an individual from their home community
Mid Term:
   Reinvestment is crucial to the survival of low-income communities. Tax cuts help create the environment. Reinvestment creates the pillar that allows said communities to flourish.
(1)   Double the amount of expensing of all business costs
(2)   Suspend and nullify all federal regulations in areas designated as Economic Freedom Zones
(3)   Appoint officials to coordinate with business owners in areas with restricted land to lower restrictions.
Long-Term Reinvestment:
(1)   Create a voucher program for communities designated as Economic Freedom Zones.
(2)   Provide a new $1500 tax credit per child for parents or guardians
(3)   Establish a new Business-Academic Tax credit for businesses that provide scholarships or financial aid to employers and residents in their communities.
(4)   Increase the number of Southern resident applicants in order to raise the number of entrepreneurs
Sponsor: Delegate DeadPrez

Made a modification to the business taxes
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 09:41:42 PM »

So long as this bill contains any tax cuts to corporations, and nullifies all federal regulations i will be staunchly opposed to this bill. The money would have been better served to give low-income families a tax cut instead, as well as all the tax credits already included in the bill. This would serve low-income communities better than non-regulated, and non-taxed corporations ever would.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 10:06:08 PM »

So long as this bill contains any tax cuts to corporations, and nullifies all federal regulations i will be staunchly opposed to this bill. The money would have been better served to give low-income families a tax cut instead, as well as all the tax credits already included in the bill. This would serve low-income communities better than non-regulated, and non-taxed corporations ever would.

The goal is to provide jobs.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 09:16:48 PM »

I'll agree with the low-income tax credit, but I still do not see why we need to completely gut these taxes. Don't get me started on regulations either. To me this feels like a slippery slope that will only benefit vested interests.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 03:06:01 AM »

I'll agree with the low-income tax credit, but I still do not see why we need to completely gut these taxes. Don't get me started on regulations either. To me this feels like a slippery slope that will only benefit vested interests.

The goal is to help expand the productivity of businesses in inner cities and rural communities. This will help small businesses grow. If corporations expand into the freedom zones, that only benefits the people in those communities. The goal is to encourage investment in these economic zones. It's not to hire people from other areas of the south and bring them here. It's to keep the wealth in these communities and give a reason for investing there
Attorney General & Senator Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 11:13:16 PM »

What's the status of this?
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 12:01:41 AM »

Quote from: DeadPrez Amendment Section 2: Findings, Short Term:
(1)   Repeal the following regional business taxes: Corporate income tax
What is the current Corporate Income Tax Rate in the South?

I'm not sold on a complete abolition of the Corporate Income Tax.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 08:24:12 AM »

Need I ask how exactly the Southern Government has the power to nullify federal regulations?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »

Need I ask how exactly the Southern Government has the power to nullify federal regulations?

Nullification has happened since atlasia was founded
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 11:42:07 PM »

I'm not sold on eliminating all federal regulations. Does this include all health safety regulations, environmental regulations? Red tape may not be conducive to job creation, however not all regulations are necessarily bad. The key is about balance.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 01:40:22 AM »

The question is is it legal under Atlasian law. And I do doubt that it is.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 04:19:37 PM »

Then when passed, we will fight the courts. When the federal government erodes regional freedom, we must resist
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 07:28:00 PM »

Then when passed, we will fight the courts. When the federal government erodes regional freedom, we must resist

A state government cannot override the federal government, this has been established as precedent by courts, time and time, again
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies