What parts of the Bill of Rights don't apply to non-Americans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:36:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What parts of the Bill of Rights don't apply to non-Americans?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What parts of the Bill of Rights don't apply to non-Americans?  (Read 1073 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2019, 01:15:01 AM »

Legal standard is that the Bill of Rights almost always applies to non-Americans in the US. For example non-US citizens while in the US still can't have their speech restricted, be searched without warrants, be forced to provide self-incriminating testimony, etc.

Are there any laws where non-US citizens don't have rights the Bill of Rights requires for citizens?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 01:08:45 PM »

Good question. I’m interested in knowing the answer too.

But if we truly believe rights are rights, not just what the government decides, then logically and ethically I don’t see how any non-citizens can have reduced rights.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 08:22:56 PM »

None of the Bill of Rights uses the term "citizen" so unless there is some jurisprudence on the scope of "the people" used in some amendments, I would think they all apply, tho stateless persons might have difficulty in gaining access to Federal courts because they don't meet the letter of the Diversity Clause.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 10:47:01 PM »

The Due Process Clause provides that any person, whether they be a lawful or illegal or conditional resident, including stateless people & those on order of supervision, is granted the same fundamental, undeniable constitutional rights granted to all Americans. Thus, the Constitution & Bill of Rights apply to every "person", & aren't limited to American citizens.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »

None of the Bill of Rights uses the term "citizen" so unless there is some jurisprudence on the scope of "the people" used in some amendments, I would think they all apply, tho stateless persons might have difficulty in gaining access to Federal courts because they don't meet the letter of the Diversity Clause.
What about the Second Amendment? Has there been any cases in regards to the right of non-citizens to possess firearms? Isn't it incredibly difficult for a non-citizen to buy a gun?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »

What about the Second Amendment? Has there been any cases in regards to the right of non-citizens to possess firearms? Isn't it incredibly difficult for a non-citizen to buy a gun?

Not as far as I can tell. As far as I am aware, not even those States with registration and/or licensure requirements limit gun ownership to just citizens.
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 8.09

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 01:11:24 PM »

It depends on what you mean by "non-citizen," really. And it depends on whether the law broken was state or federal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies