Robert Casey Challenges Clinton 96.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:01:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Robert Casey Challenges Clinton 96.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Robert Casey Challenges Clinton 96.  (Read 1053 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2005, 12:57:53 PM »

What if Casey had challenged Clinton for the Democratic nomination in 1996. On the back of the 1994 defeats Casey set up an exploratory committee, put forward a pretty coherent policy platform, hired some effective political operatives and raised an impressive amount of cash, but Clinton was quick to lock up endorsements and was effective in securing the major donors within the party and this together with Casey’s poor health meant that Clinton avoided a primary challenge.

Now what if Clinton’s team is tardier than they where in reality? Casey continues to raise cash and undermines Clinton in two of his key bases within the party amongst afro-Americans and the Southern Blue-Dogs with the support of the likes of John Breaux and Dick Gephardt. Clinton is still the overwhelming favourite but what would the impact of a credible Casey challenge in 96 be?         
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 03:41:53 PM »

I really don't think a Casey challenge would have gone anywhere.  No matter how much I respect Casey Sr.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 07:42:23 PM »

A Bob Casey challenge in '92 might have a better chance.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 07:58:35 PM »

I really don't think a Casey challenge would have gone anywhere.  No matter how much I respect Casey Sr.

I agree.  While there are notable exceptions, primary challenges to incumbents usually do not go very far.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 10:04:09 PM »

The impact of a credible Casey challenge in 96 with the conditions which you describe, Casey continues to raise cash, undermines Clinton amongst African Americans and Southern Blue Dogs, and has the support of the likes of John Breaux and Dick Gephardt:   

Bob Casey Sr. has amassed support in the Democratic Party for the Presidential nomination, not enough to win, but to such an extent that he could seriously undermine the strength of the 1996 Clinton re-election campaign.  Therefore, Casey informs Clinton that he wants to be Secretary of State in the second Clinton administration, in return for his withdrawing from the nomination race and throwing his support to Clinton. 

Clinton agrees, Casey withdraws from the race, throws his whole hearted support behind Clinton, Clinton wins an easy victory over Republican candidate Bob Dole in 1996, and Robert Casey Sr. is appointed Secretary of State in the second Clinton administration, and serves ably in that capacity until his death in May of 2000.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 10:54:25 PM »

I think Bob Casey Sr. is severely overrated and did a lot of damage to the Democratic party especially in PA.  I partly hold him responsible for allowing Rick Santorum having his current seat as a Senator.  Having cursed out NARAL and Harris Wofford, he basically opened the barn door for conservative leaning Dems to vote Republican and have him as martyr.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 12:07:43 AM »

I think Bob Casey Sr. is severely overrated and did a lot of damage to the Democratic party especially in PA.  I partly hold him responsible for allowing Rick Santorum having his current seat as a Senator.  Having cursed out NARAL and Harris Wofford, he basically opened the barn door for conservative leaning Dems to vote Republican and have him as martyr.

He's the only reason why his son is anything and why he's likely to pick up (at this point) a Senate seat for you guys.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 01:43:22 AM »

He's the only reason why his son is anything and why he's likely to pick up (at this point) a Senate seat for you guys.

Yeah, how ironic now that I thought about it.  His son has to clean up his father's mess.  Makes me want to start the Draft Hoeffel petition even more. 
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 09:31:32 PM »

would have been cool, because i really liked Casey (but not his policies)

but it would have worked better in 92 than 96.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies