1968: Robert Kennedy vs. Richard Nixon vs. George Wallace (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:08:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Robert Kennedy vs. Richard Nixon vs. George Wallace (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: Robert Kennedy vs. Richard Nixon vs. George Wallace  (Read 2544 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« on: August 03, 2019, 10:06:17 AM »
« edited: August 03, 2019, 05:58:10 PM by MillennialModerate »

First off, I think had he lived it’s almost a lockstep guarantee that RFK becomes President. The question is whether it happens in ‘68 or later on. Back then the nominating process wasn’t all about the primaries. They played a role in giving the delegates and party bosses clues about who they should pick but it wasn’t the whole ballgame & despite both being unpopular AND his lame duck status President Johnson did have some control and influence over the convention. So I’m sure he would have done everything in his power to make sure RFK didn’t win the nomination.

With that being said it’s not a sure thing he DOESN'T get it. He won all but 1 of the primaries he entered. He won the “big one”, California - in impressive fashion. He appealed to both moderates and liberals alike. He had the support of white working class voters and support of the African American community. Then there was the sympathy vote of being a Kennedy and also a deep yearning by the electorate to return to Camelot and a return to the America that ceased to exist after Dallas.

Now IF Mayor Daley thought RFK would carry Illinois and another candidate couldn’t. If RFK’s primary wins were considered impressive enough. If the delegates and party bosses were persuaded by the grass roots support that Bobby’s campaign was fueled by - IF Robert F Kennedy DID win the nomination in 1968: Here is what would happen.

I think that RFK’s weakness would clearly be in the once solid south. SO he would pick Terry Sanford as his running mate. Because of this I think he pulls over a lot of moderate voters who voted for both Nixon and Wallace, giving him North Carolina’s electoral votes. Unfortunately I don’t think the VP pick has much of an impact elsewhere in the South. I think Texas goes to Nixon because RFK being seen as someone not exactly in tune with LBJ.... However: virtually everywhere else RFK improves upon what Humphrey did. Including taking Nixons home state and the mother load of electoral votes: California. RFK carries almost all of the states Humphrey lost by under 4 points - including Missouri, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Ohio, Illinois, Delaware and perhaps most surprisingly of all: Alaska - all go to Bobby. Meanwhile in the northeast, RFK garners MAJOR support. Winning every single electoral vote in that region. Nationwide, Massachusetts the home base of the Kennedy’s proves to be his strongest state where he gets an astounding 78% of the vote. In neighboring Rhode Island he also crosses the 70% threshold as well. Elsewhere in New England, he flips two Republican strongholds of Vermont and New Hampshire, winning then each by 3-5 points each. In the Midwest the Mayor Daley machine proves decisive for the Kennedy’s once again - giving RFK a massive plurality leading to him carrying the state with 55% of the vote.

Sen. Robert Kennedy/ Gov. Terry Sanford328 • 48.4%
VP Richard Nixon/ Gov. Spiro Agnew154 • 40.9%
Gov. George Wallace/ Curtis Lemay56 • 10.3%
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 05:58:33 PM »

First off, I think had he lived it’s almost a lockstep guarantee that RFK becomes President. The question is whether it happens in ‘68 or later on. Back then the nominating process wasn’t all about the primaries. They played a role in giving the delegates and party bosses clues about who they should pick but it wasn’t the whole ballgame & despite both being unpopular AND his lame duck status President Johnson did have some control and influence over the convention. So I’m sure he would have done everything in his power to make sure RFK didn’t win the nomination.

With that being said it’s not a sure thing he DOESN'T get it. He won all but 1 of the primaries he entered. He won the “big one”, California - in impressive fashion. He appealed to both moderates and liberals alike. He had the support of white working class voters and support of the African American community. Then there was the sympathy vote of being a Kennedy and also a deep yearning by the electorate to return to Camelot and a return to the America that ceased to exist after Dallas.

Now IF Mayor Daley thought RFK would carry Illinois and another candidate couldn’t. If RFK’s primary wins were considered impressive enough. If the delegates and party bosses were persuaded by the grass roots support that Bobby’s campaign was fueled by - IF Robert F Kennedy DID win the nomination in 1968: Here is what would happen.

I think that RFK’s weakness would clearly be in the once solid south. SO he would pick Terry Sanford as his running mate. Because of this I think he pulls over a lot of moderate voters who voted for both Nixon and Wallace, giving him North Carolina’s electoral votes. Unfortunately I don’t think the VP pick has much of an impact elsewhere in the South. I think Texas goes to Nixon because RFK being seen as someone not exactly in tune with LBJ.... However: virtually everywhere else RFK improves upon what Humphrey did. Including taking Nixons home state and the mother load of electoral votes: California. RFK carries almost all of the states Humphrey lost by under 4 points - including Missouri, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Ohio, Illinois, Delaware and perhaps most surprisingly of all: Alaska - all go to Bobby. Meanwhile in the northeast, RFK garners MAJOR support. Winning every single electoral vote in that region. Nationwide, Massachusetts the home base of the Kennedy’s proves to be his strongest state where he gets an astounding 78% of the vote. In neighboring Rhode Island he also crosses the 70% threshold as well. Elsewhere in New England, he flips two Republican strongholds of Vermont and New Hampshire, winning them each by 3-5 points each. In the Midwest the Mayor Daley machine proves decisive for the Kennedy’s once again - giving RFK a massive plurality leading to him carrying the state with 55% of the vote.

Sen. Robert Kennedy/ Gov. Terry Sanford328 • 48.4%
VP Richard Nixon/ Gov. Spiro Agnew146 • 40.7%
Gov. George Wallace/ Curtis Lemay64 • 10.5%

How’s that?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »

Thing was, post 1960 and 1962, Nixon was a mastermind politician. He learned from his errors and was able to find a flaw in an opponent and exploit it. he would rip apart Kennedy on a great many things (Such as Kennedy losing to Reagan in '66). I'm not saying RFK can't win, but he's vastly overrated. He'd win but only barely against a mastermind. Maybe a 2-3% NPV win and only a little over the needed 270 EVs.

Kind of sending mixed signals here.

I have a hard time seeing him lose if he got the nomination. Otherwise he’s a shoe in for ‘76
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies