SB 19-33: Space Exploration, Development, and Settlement Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:42:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 19-33: Space Exploration, Development, and Settlement Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 19-33: Space Exploration, Development, and Settlement Act (Passed)  (Read 886 times)
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 03, 2019, 10:58:38 AM »
« edited: August 10, 2019, 08:58:27 PM by Esteemed Vice President Jimmy7812 »

Space Exploration, Development, and Settlement Act

To further advance space exploration with an expedited Human mission to the moon, building a human inhabited moon research facility on the moon, and a Human mission to Mars.

Section 1. Short title; definitions

(a) Short tile.—

This Act shall be cited as the “Space Exploration, Development, and Settlement Act” or “SEDDA”.

(b) Definitions.—

(1) For purposes of this Act, the term “NASA” shall mean the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

(2) For purposes of this Act, the term “Administrator” shall mean the Administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

Section 2. Goals

(a) In general.—

The Administrator shall set the following goals for NASA’s human space flight program—

(A) Within 5 years after the date of enactment of this Act, that there be developed a reusable space vehicle capable of carrying humans and necessary equipment for a research facility to the moon and back to Earth, and a successful lunar landing and return with said reusable space vehicle;

(B) Within 10 years after the date of enactment of this Act, that there be established a human inhabited research facility on the moon; and

(C) Within 15 years after the date of enactment of this Act, that there will be a successful Mars landing of a reusable space vehicle capable of carrying humans to Mars and back to Earth.

(b) Contracts.—

The Administrator shall have the full authority to terminate or renegotiate all ongoing contracts with private companies.

(c) Reports.—

The Administrator shall report to Congress and the President the progress made on achieving the goals put forward in subsection A at least once every 90 days.

Section 3. Appropriations

There shall be appropriated to NASA $154,000,000,000, as follows:

(1) Moon mission.—

There shall be $13,000,000,000 appropriated to NASA for research, development, and deployment for the purpose of an expedited Human mission to the moon.

(2) Moon research facility.—

There shall be $41,000,000,000 appropriated to NASA for research, development, and deployment for the purpose of building a human inhabited research facility on the moon.

(3) Mars mission.—

There shall be $100,000,000,000 appropriated to NASA for research, development, and deployment for the purpose of a Human mission to Mars.

Section 4. Implementation

This Act shall take effect immediately after passage.

Passed in the Senate 5-0-0-1

Sponsor: Devout Centrist
Senate Designation: SB 19-33
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »

This needs a sponsor.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »

I'll sponsor
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 04:35:35 PM »

Senators have 24 hours for objections.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:56:54 PM »

Devout Centrist is now recognized as the sponsor.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 06:57:50 PM »

Thank you Mr. Vice President.

Space: The Final Frontier. These are the appropriations of the Nation State Atlasia. Its fifteen-year mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new posters and new forums. To boldly go where no game has gone before.

This bill dramatically increases funding for NASA and sets clear targets for human space exploration. NASA will once again be able to undertake significant efforts to send man to the moon, to Mars, and beyond! I would especially like to thank Kingpoleon for his tireless efforts to bring this bill to the floor.

I hope my colleagues will help Atlasians dream big and build a space program that is the envy of the rest of the world.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 07:07:06 PM »

This is one of the most important bills of this session, and I hope we can get this passed unanimously!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 08:39:30 PM »

I would be glad to answer any questions the Senate has regarding the bill. I echo the urges of my friends, the honorable Senator and sponsor, as well as the honorable Vice President. This is, in my opinion, the most important and ambitious legislation before this august body in my memory, with the possible exception of AtlasCare, another bill I gladly worked on. It is vital that this bill be passed, and I urge all of you: this bill, with the approval and support of these honorable legislators, should be amended if necessary and passed with due haste.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 11:24:23 AM »

I motion for a final vote
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 11:39:11 AM »

Senators have 24 hours for objections.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »

A final vote has begun on this bill. Please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

To further advance space exploration with an expedited Human mission to the moon, building a human inhabited moon research facility on the moon, and a Human mission to Mars.

(a) Short tile.—

This Act shall be cited as the “Space Exploration, Development, and Settlement Act” or “SEDDA”.

(b) Definitions.—

(1) For purposes of this Act, the term “NASA” shall mean the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

(2) For purposes of this Act, the term “Administrator” shall mean the Administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

Section 2. Goals

(a) In general.—

The Administrator shall set the following goals for NASA’s human space flight program—

(A) Within 5 years after the date of enactment of this Act, that there be developed a reusable space vehicle capable of carrying humans and necessary equipment for a research facility to the moon and back to Earth, and a successful lunar landing and return with said reusable space vehicle;

(B) Within 10 years after the date of enactment of this Act, that there be established a human inhabited research facility on the moon; and

(C) Within 15 years after the date of enactment of this Act, that there will be a successful Mars landing of a reusable space vehicle capable of carrying humans to Mars and back to Earth.

(b) Contracts.—

The Administrator shall have the full authority to terminate or renegotiate all ongoing contracts with private companies.

(c) Reports.—

The Administrator shall report to Congress and the President the progress made on achieving the goals put forward in subsection A at least once every 90 days.

(1) Moon mission.—

There shall be $13,000,000,000 appropriated to NASA for research, development, and deployment for the purpose of an expedited Human mission to the moon.

There shall be $41,000,000,000 appropriated to NASA for research, development, and deployment for the purpose of building a human inhabited research facility on the moon.

(3) Mars mission.—

There shall be $100,000,000,000 appropriated to NASA for research, development, and deployment for the purpose of a Human mission to Mars.

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 02:16:26 PM »

Aye
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »

Aye
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »

Aye
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 07:47:36 PM »

Aye
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 07:51:34 PM »

With a majority of senators voting to pass this bill, the vote will close in 24 hours or when all senators have voted, whichever is sooner, and any senator who wishes to change his or her vote must do so during that interval.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 02:46:17 AM »

Aye, but somewhat concerned about funding
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »

SB 19-33 has passed by a vote of 5-0-0-1.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 08:58:07 PM »

(a) Short tile.—

(b) Definitions.—

Section 2. Goals

(a) In general.—

(b) Contracts.—

(c) Reports.—

(1) Moon mission.—

(3) Mars mission.—

Passed in the Senate 5-0-0-1

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 02:20:26 AM »

NAY Ftr

I was actually going to make a long post about this subject but I basically overlooked it after reminding Jimmy to bring it up and then ran out of time Thursday/Friday.

In the last week and a half I have been binge watching short science Youtube videos, it is a shame this didn't happen like a week sooner (the videos I mean).

My first issue concerns that, and while I get that this bill is about settlement of space and this isn't exactly a viable option for that, I think we should also consider sending more probes to study Venus both to get a better understanding of its development, its runaway green house effect and ascertaining whether there is some kind of microbial life that is absorbing UV light in its upper atmosphere, as some have suggested may be the case.

I would insert the ancient alien's meme here but RIP pics

This would be way out in the future (hundreds of years, maybe thousands), but one idea I came across was siphoning off Carbon Dioxide from Venus and using it to create an atmosphere for Mars. One could also imagine reducing our carbon dioxide in a similar fashion though we would not be able to get enough from our planet without plunging us into an ice age.

To do any kind of terraforming on Mars you would need to create an imitation magnetic shield and that could be tested first on Venus since it is 1) Closer and 2) wouldn't have anyone on it in case early designs failed/went terrible wrong.

Even further down the road, using Venus as way to test sunlight reflection as a way to develop a means to protect earth from eventually having its oceans boiled away in a couple hundred million years, though obviously that is a very, very distant concern.

Before any of that comes though, we should definitely be studying it since it is so close to us, very similar in composition and size and basically is a window into our future either because of human self destruction or because of the sun's increasing brightness. We also could use deep oceanic pressure on earth as a way to develop and test probes and other unmanned space craft that could withstand the dense atmospheric pressure. 

And of course I have to express my dissatisfaction with the lack of direct funding. This is a substantial outlay and it comes to mind that several people said that the miniscule appropriations don't significantly impact the deficit during the petition discussion, this is one that is in the tune of several hundred billion dollars and while I don't have a problem with funding space flight, research and development, we have to be responsible and make sure that such large expenditures are funded.  Space investment is a very extreme long term outlay and we should not be deficit funding it at all, rather we should be building it on a solid foundation, of direct funding.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »

I, as well as virtually all members of the Space Council, concur with your objections to deficit spending, but, if by direct funding you mean tying it to specific taxation a la Social Security, I most strongly object. As for your ideas, I am sure we could discuss these issues further if you would please contact me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies