U.S. presidential election, 1876
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:14:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. presidential election, 1876
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Rutherford Hayes (R)

Samuel Tilden (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: U.S. presidential election, 1876  (Read 1135 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2005, 08:06:09 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2005, 08:32:17 PM by A18 »

EDIT: No hindsight.

The election of 1876 pitted Samuel Tilden of the Democratic Party against Republican Rutherford Hayes.

Backers of Tilden focused their attacks on the corruption of the Grant administration. Hayes supporters labeled Democrats the party of treason and rebellion.

The Republican platform committed the party to "permanent pacification" of the South, continued sound-money policy, and civil service reform. It opposed federal aid to Catholic or other sectarian schools and land grants to railroads or other corporations. The platform also called for a congressional investigation into the effects of Oriental immigration "upon the moral and material interest of the country," and vowed to eradicate polygamy in Utah.

The Democratic platform, in turn, called for an end to "the rapacity of carpet-bag tyrannies" in the South. The platform also promised treaty protection for naturalized U.S. citizens visiting their homeland, restrictions on Oriental immigration, and tariff reform. It opposed land grants to railroads.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 09:50:16 PM »

Tilden.

The policy of Reconstruction was an extremely oppressive one. The independence of the Southern states was destroyed, and federalism faced a severe crisis as the country as more and more power was centralized. I would have supported the Democratic commitment to ending Reconstruction.

No other issue is even nearly as important. However, the fact that the Democrats supported lower tariffs and opposed giving away land to railroads leads me to support Tilden even more.

It is true that the Democratic Party was xenophobic, but so were the Republicans. Immigration policy would not have been an important issue to me.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 09:59:00 PM »

No hindsight? I'd probably vote for whoever promised to hang the CSA "Congress".
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 10:03:36 PM »

Hayes, seeing how he was a Union Veteran and Tilden was present at Copperhead meetings durring the Civil War standing by "the Rioter Governor" Horatio Seymoure.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 01:00:08 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2005, 01:02:00 AM by Virginian87 »

Tilden, because the post-Civil War Republican Party failed in Reconstruction and did everything possible to ruin the South even more instead of bringing it back into the national economy.

I probably would have supported land grants to the railroads, but the above issue was the most pressing and would have decided my vote.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 03:24:22 AM »

That was interesting info on the 2 parties in 1876, A18.

I'd vote for Hayes, since I would have been a Republican on Civil War/Reconstruction issues and I loathe the Mormon Church. But I always thought Tilden should have won, since as a Democrat in 2000 I know what its like to see an election get stolen.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 10:02:59 AM »

That was interesting info on the 2 parties in 1876, A18.

I'd vote for Hayes, since I would have been a Republican on Civil War/Reconstruction issues and I loathe the Mormon Church. But I always thought Tilden should have won, since as a Democrat in 2000 I know what its like to see an election get stolen.

You hate Mormons?  Do you realize that your Senate Minority Leader is a Mormon?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 10:34:30 AM »

Tilden. Had I been living in Georgia in 1876, no way would I have been voting Republican back then

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 11:00:28 AM »

Had I been living in Georgia in 1876, no way would I have voted for the Democrats.

Plus Hayes was an old abolutionist... this is actually the last election where I'm positive I'd have voted Republican.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 11:55:15 AM »

Hayes, seeing how he was a Union Veteran and Tilden was present at Copperhead meetings durring the Civil War standing by "the Rioter Governor" Horatio Seymoure.

^^^^
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies