Kansas professor Mirecki beaten up
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:26:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kansas professor Mirecki beaten up
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kansas professor Mirecki beaten up  (Read 2956 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2005, 04:55:57 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/06/tech/main1099028.shtml

'A Kansas professor whose planned course on creationism and intelligent design was canceled after he sent e-mails deriding Christian conservatives was taken to the hospital Monday following what he said was a beating.'

'University of Kansas religious studies professor Paul Mirecki told the Lawrence Journal-World that two men who beat him were making references to the class that was to be offered for the first time this coming spring.'

Sen. Kay O'Connor, a Mirecki critic, said there is no excuse for someone physically assaulting the professor - regardless of their politics.

"I have zero tolerance for thugs," she said. "There is never an excuse to behave in such a manner. This was just thugs. They used a flimsy excuse, if they had one, to behave as thugs. They can talk about the ID (intelligent design) course if they want to, but that's not an excuse."

Almost reminds you of Iran doesn't it. If you don't accept 'intelligent design' they try and beat it into you.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 10:25:15 AM »

I told you there'd be pitchforks and flaming torches.  This was merely the first step.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 11:30:46 AM »

It sucks to be him.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:34:02 AM »

Freedom Fighters are always taking a risk, MODU, and are always going to be outnumbered by the Horrible People.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 11:39:21 AM »

Freedom Fighters are always taking a risk, MODU, and are always going to be outnumbered by the Horrible People.

hahaha . . . "Freedom Fighters" being only in your own view.  Now while I wouldn't call him a "Horrible Person," he was an idiot for what he had e-mailed.  And while I don't support beating people up because they don't share your view on a topic, I do think this is mildly amusing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 11:49:14 AM »

hahaha . . . "Freedom Fighters" being only in your own view.  Now while I wouldn't call him a "Horrible Person," he was an idiot for what he had e-mailed.  And while I don't support beating people up because they don't share your view on a topic, I do think this is mildly amusing.

Of course you would, as you are a fascist.  I for one am a supporter of free speech, and particularly the right to expose the religious for what they are.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 11:54:33 AM »

Of course you would, as you are a fascist.  I for one am a supporter of free speech, and particularly the right to expose the religious for what they are.

Right, you support the right of those who agree with you to practice free speech.  The others get thrown to the lions...
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 12:10:16 PM »

It was pretty evident that this was going to happen.  It wasn't right that he got assaulted for this, but the dumbsh**t should have known better.

Kansas is a wonderful place to exercise your freedom of speech if you're willing to deal with the consequences.  I imagine he'll consider his next hastily-written, hateful (and that's all it was -- full of hate for people he disagreed with) e-mail a lot more carefully.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 12:12:39 PM »

STFU u g4y a7h3i57!!!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 12:16:13 PM »

Right, you support the right of those who agree with you to practice free speech.  The others get thrown to the lions...
You are allowed to speak to the Lions, you know. Wink
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 12:18:40 PM »

I guess you could say: Mirecki wrote a check his ass couldn't cash.

But it is still a sorry incident because now the atheists, ironically, have a modern martyr in the cause of their 'freedom'
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 12:24:29 PM »

It was pretty evident that this was going to happen.  It wasn't right that he got assaulted for this, but the dumbsh**t should have known better.

Kansas is a wonderful place to exercise your freedom of speech if you're willing to deal with the consequences.  I imagine he'll consider his next hastily-written, hateful (and that's all it was -- full of hate for people he disagreed with) e-mail a lot more carefully.

J-Mann and Storebought think free speech should be dependent upon ones power!
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 12:26:41 PM »

J-Mann and Storebought think free speech should be dependent upon ones power!

No, I think you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  He could have easily started a class debating the merits of intelligent design without inciting hatred against him.  He's stupid for making that mistake, and it wasn't all that hard to predict a beating was coming to him.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 12:36:50 PM »

No, I think you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  He could have easily started a class debating the merits of intelligent design without inciting hatred against him.  He's stupid for making that mistake, and it wasn't all that hard to predict a beating was coming to him.

And yet, the preachers of these cults spew hate about various members of society, from homosexuals to atheists, and they never get beaten up.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 12:39:33 PM »

And yet, the preachers of these cults spew hate about various members of society, from homosexuals to atheists, and they never get beaten up.

Yeah, because preachers have such an easy go at proselytization in places like San Francisco and West Hollywood
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 12:42:17 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2005, 12:47:53 PM by J-Mann »

Not necessarily true -- I've personally thrown a rock at Fred Phelps, though I had discretion enough to do it from a crowd so I couldn't be picked out (he was a regular protester at my university).  His "preachers" have gotten roughed up a time or two.

Anyway, the point is to exercise discretion when advocating change or challenging the majority.  Case in point: you --

Thaksin is no joke - rapidly destroying freedoms in one of the few free countries that has ever existed.  Over the last month one of his Thai Rak Thai minions - the mayor of Pattaya - has directed the police to drive the freelancers from the beach promenade. 

I was here for this act of injustice.. probably the most horrific thing I have ever seen.  Sure, I grew up in an unfree land, but I never had to witness liberty being crushed (it was crushed before I was born). 

A friend asked me, when I related the tragic tale, 'what did you do?'  I told her - 'I bore witness'.

You vehemently disagree with Thaksin and the forces of social control, but when this event happened, what did you do?  You didn't fight for the freelancers or shout at those who chased them away.  You just watched.

Which is smart.  Jumping into the middle of the fray would have gotten you an ass-kicking, at the very least -- likely something worse.  Rather, you exercise discretion in the way that you combat views you don't agree with by relating the story and hoping that news of the oppression spreads.  See what I'm getting at?  This professor started his assault not as a quiet revolution, but by getting right in the fundamentalists' faces -- and he paid the likely price for it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 12:43:24 PM »

Yeah, because preachers have such an easy go at proselytization in places like San Francisco and West Hollywood

They're in no danger there..  unlike Freedom Fighters in Kansas.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 02:12:54 PM »

I do think this is mildly amusing.

You think terrorism by the American Taliban is funny?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 04:02:27 PM »

I applaud the actions of those that did this! Good Riddance!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 07:38:30 AM »

I applaud the actions of those that did this! Good Riddance!

The guy isn't dead, States.  I know in the South you'ld've lynched him but in Kansas the Brownshirts just beat them.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 08:17:09 AM »

Nice spin son.  *pats you on the head*  No go outside and play in the snow.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 08:29:32 AM »

Bandit's characterization was a reasonable one, MODU.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 08:42:04 AM »

No, not really.  Lindh was a US citizen fighting on the side of the enemy.  Mirecki sent out a memo turning what could have been an interesting course discussion into a flame against Christianity.  Two totally different situations.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 08:50:26 AM »

No, not really.  Lindh was a US citizen fighting on the side of the enemy.  Mirecki sent out a memo turning what could have been an interesting course discussion into a flame against Christianity.  Two totally different situations.

No, no, I don't think he was referring to Lindh!  I think he was referring to the religious in the US as the 'American Taliban'.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 09:02:41 AM »

No, no, I don't think he was referring to Lindh!  I think he was referring to the religious in the US as the 'American Taliban'.

Then he needs to restate the question, since the American Taliban is the nickname/media name of John Walker Lindh.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies