U.S. presidential election, 1920
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:42:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. presidential election, 1920
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Warren Harding (R)

James Cox (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: U.S. presidential election, 1920  (Read 2195 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2005, 01:15:26 PM »
« edited: December 08, 2005, 03:09:59 PM by jEW18 »

No hindsight.

The election of 1920 was a referendum on the Wilson administration and the League of Nations.

Warren Harding promised voters a "Return to Normalcy." The Republican platform called for a protective tariff, stricter immigration requirements, annual registration of aliens, and "equal pay for equal service" for women. It condemned the Wilson administration for unpreparedness in war and peace, and opposed U.S. entry into the League on Wilson's terms.

James Cox wholeheartedly supported U.S. entry into the League of Nations, and called for a federal effort to eradicate illiteracy in the United States. The Democratic platform supported maintenance of the tariff for revenue only, and advocated tax reform.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 01:21:26 PM »

Harding, seeing how I would have been an isolationst dry like most of Iowa.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:49:17 PM »

Cox
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 03:10:11 PM »

Cox.  As a supporter of Wilson, I would have been for the League charter but with some modifications so that Congress would not give up too much autonomy.  Unfortunately, Wilson would have none of that and his stubborness with Lodge and the Republicans led to his downfall and Democratic defeat in 1920, among other things.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 03:24:20 PM »

Do you support suppressing free speech?
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 03:55:12 PM »

No, but I will admit that the measures taken during World War I to suppress the opposition were a huge blunder on Wilson's part.  Actually, another reason the League covenant did not pass was due to a liberal falling-out with Wilson during the war because of these measures.  The collapse of the Wilsonian liberal-progressive coalition was a costly blunder, and helped Republicans take back the Senate in the 1918 midterms. 

Then again, there have been problems like that in every war, i.e. Lincoln's military trials of civilians in the Civil War, FDR's Japanese internment camps, and the Kent State shootings in 1972.  Some would go so far as to classify the Patriot Act in there as well (though I'm not sure I would say that).

So, speaking of suppressing free speech, are you in favor of an anti-flag burning amendment?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 04:06:06 PM »

Then again, there have been problems like that in every war, i.e. Lincoln's military trials of civilians in the Civil War, FDR's Japanese internment camps, and the Kent State shootings in 1972.  Some would go so far as to classify the Patriot Act in there as well (though I'm not sure I would say that).

Lincoln I'll agree on. The rest have nothing to do with suppressing speech.

So, speaking of suppressing free speech, are you in favor of an anti-flag burning amendment?

No.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 04:18:41 PM »

Harding.  He was a good man.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 04:30:14 PM »

Harding, after the Leage of Nations and Wilson I'd want to get someone new and not from the same party in.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »

You're taking the statement too literally.  When I gave those other examples, I meant examples of other violations of domestic human rights the U.S. has committed in wartime, not just free speech.  And Kent State did have to do with free speech, under the freedom to assemble and protest. 

Anyway, let's not hijack the thread.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 05:30:31 PM »

He cheated on his wife on numerous occasions.

However, because of his policies, I would have voted for him.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 05:38:18 PM »

You're taking the statement too literally.  When I gave those other examples, I meant examples of other violations of domestic human rights the U.S. has committed in wartime, not just free speech.  And Kent State did have to do with free speech, under the freedom to assemble and protest. 

Anyway, let's not hijack the thread.

We're talking about censorship, not some internment camps that lasted a few years. Both were bad, but the two are not comparable.

The federal government had nothing to do with the Kent State shootings, and clearly they did not have a constitutional right to strike there if the university didn't want them to. Was it public or private?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 06:21:16 PM »

I would have voted for Cox. Both sides had agendas involving excessive federal involvement (the equal pay plank on the other side, and the illiteracy plank on the other). I would not have been too happy about the League of Nations, but Cox's opposition to protectionism would have won my vote.

With hindisight--had I known that Harding would die and allow one of the best presidents in American history to succeed him--I would have voted for the Republican.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 06:29:03 PM »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The equal pay plank was this: "The principle of equal pay for equal service should be applied throughout all branches of the Federal government in which women are employed."
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 06:31:42 PM »

I would vote for Harding, if for no other reason than that he opposed the League of Nations
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 12:58:16 AM »

Probably Harding
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 03:03:53 AM »

Harding of course. The first election to break the period of sucky candidates.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies