Black Gays Ask Clergy For Tolerance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:16:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black Gays Ask Clergy For Tolerance  (Read 2440 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2006, 07:55:03 PM »

By Jonathan Landrum Jr.
Associated Press
Sunday, January 22, 2006; Page A17

ATLANTA, Jan. 21 -- Churches have an obligation to help end the "poisoned atmosphere" surrounding the acceptance of gay men and lesbians, the Rev. Al Sharpton said at a weekend summit organized by a national black gay rights group.

The group invited religious leaders to brainstorm ways to get their message of tolerance across to clergy, who are some of the most influential figures in black communities. Several portrayed it as a civil rights issue.

"Our dialogue is the possibility of being acknowledged, loved and accepted. It can happen," said Donna Payne, vice president of the National Black Justice Coalition, composed of black homosexual, bisexual and transgender activists.

Sharpton, a former Democratic presidential candidate, said Friday that black church leaders need to acknowledge that homophobia affects everyone's civil rights.

"You cannot talk about civil rights and limit who's included," Sharpton told about 150 people at First Iconium Baptist Church.

He said it is every church's obligation to help end the "poisoned atmosphere. . . . The church should have a front seat in the car leading toward dialogue, leading toward tolerance."

In 2004, a predominantly black Atlanta-area church where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter Bernice King is an elder held a march calling for a national ban on gay marriage.

King's widow, Coretta Scott King, has called gay marriage a civil rights issue and denounced proposed amendments to ban it.

The Rev. Kenneth Samuel, pastor of Victory Baptist Church in the Atlanta suburb of Stone Mountain, received a standing ovation when he called for equality for all people and an end to hate crimes targeting gay men and lesbians.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/21/AR2006012101164.html?nav=rss_print/asection
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

Churches in Atlanta have to accept both gays and blacks?  We may need another civil war for that.
Tory

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 08:38:20 PM »

I think the government should provide marriages to gays, but disagree with asking churches who believe it goes against thier teachings to do the same.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »

I think the government should provide marriages to gays, but disagree with asking churches who believe it goes against thier teachings to do the same.

It's "ask", not "force".
Tory

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 08:42:37 PM »

It's "ask", not "force".

And I said "ask"
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 08:42:46 PM »

In 2004, a predominantly black Atlanta-area church where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter Bernice King is an elder held a march calling for a national ban on gay marriage.

I remember that.  It and the rhetoric it produced were truly disgusting.  Some people I know went to protest that group's unsavory activities.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 08:43:52 PM »

It's "ask", not "force".

And I said "ask"

Well, what's the big deal about asking?
Tory

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 09:06:59 PM »

It's "ask", not "force".

And I said "ask"

Well, what's the big deal about asking?

I'm not saying you shouldn't have the right to ask, but you shouldn't expect them to change.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »

King's widow, Coretta Scott King, has called gay marriage a civil rights issue and denounced proposed amendments to ban it.

Calling something a civl rights issue doesn't make it one.  I guess those who practice incest and bestiality will be calling for their "rights" next.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 01:51:34 PM »

ATLANTA, Jan. 21 -- Churches have an obligation to help end the "poisoned atmosphere" surrounding the acceptance of gay men and lesbians, the Rev. Al Sharpton said at a weekend summit organized by a national black gay rights group.

I DON'T THINK SO!  Chruches do NOT have to accept those which go in contrary of their teachings.  If a particular faith believes that homosexual activity is a sin, then they do not hae to accept those that practice such acts.  Sharpton is beyond wrong in this instance.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 02:07:45 PM »

Calling something a civl rights issue doesn't make it one.  I guess those who practice incest and bestiality will be calling for their "rights" next.

Of course, jmfcst!  Why shouldn't they?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies