S.19.3-9: Southern Decriminalization Act of 2019 – Phase I (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:06:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.3-9: Southern Decriminalization Act of 2019 – Phase I (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.19.3-9: Southern Decriminalization Act of 2019 – Phase I (Debating)  (Read 1551 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2019, 04:46:01 AM »
« edited: August 08, 2019, 04:51:31 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Southern Decriminalization Act of 2019 – Phase I
 To decriminalize all drugs and stop the overincarceration of people from low-income communities

Southern Chamber of Delegates
The Bill
Following the next fiscal year, all hard drug offenses for personal or transactional use shall be decriminalized in the Southern Region.
Section 1: Short Title
 The act will be titled the “Southern Decriminalization Act of 2019 – Phase I”
Section 2: Findings
 The Chamber of Delegates find the following
(1) The state and federal governments of Atlasia are currently eroding the personal freedom of its citizens
(2) The War on Drugs has had a disproportionate outcome impacting low-income communities; particularly young minorities.
(3) Overcriminalizing drug use has allowed prisons to profit at the expense of public safety
(4) Most people who are convicted of a drug offense have a higher chance of recidivating
(5) Prison does not focus on treatment
(6) The cost for imprisonment is too expensive
Section 3: Rule of Construction
 The War on Drugs has been a systematic failure on every level. No citizen should be forced to go to prison, be around criminals who commit violent crimes against other citizens, and not get the proper treatment for their addiction. Government is obligated to protect life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness. The war goes against the very nature of what government ought to do. Additionally, imprisoning young people prevents them from being able to unlock their human potential and utilize their human capital. It’s unproductive on every level. Treatment, if necessary, should be promoted rather than punishment. Furthermore, we must respect the personal choices of individuals and their bodily autonomy, while also finding the root cause to drug abuse. Thus, all drugs should be decriminalized.

Section 4: Reform
(1) All hard drug offenses for personal or transactional use shall be decriminalized in the Southern Region
(2) The Southern Government shall nullify all federal drug laws applying to drug use, not the sale of said drugs.
(3) Funding for the DEA shall be reduced by 25% every year until the resources used for the War on Drugs are completely eliminated and returned to taxpaying southerners
(4) All police, regardless of rank, are required to stop anyone in possession of hard drugs and subject said citizen to a fine that shall not exceed $250
(5) Each fine will vary on the amount held by a citizen in the South
(6) Non-citizens, residents, and citizens from other regions of Atlasia will be subject to the same treatment.
(7) The following drugs shall be decriminalized: Cocaine, Crack-Cocaine, Opium, Heroine, Amphetamine. Methamphetamine, MDMA, Salvia, Ketamine, and all drugs that are a variant of those listed
(Cool The DEA is required to label each drug that will require mandatory treatment for those found to be in possession of a hard narcotic.
Sponsor: DeadPrez
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

State teacher wages will increase by 10% following a review of budgetary allowance. The wage increase will be renewed and reviewed every other session in the Chamber of Delegates. Any revenue received under a fine for drug use, purchase, or sale shall be allocated to wage increases for state teachers. Additionally, any revenue received from misconduct by the DEA or police shall be allocated to the budget for state teacher's salaries
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »

I'll support this, it's a good idea and the surplus going to teachers is a very good idea. I encourage the Southern Delegation to also support this bill. The War on Drugs have been a bad policy and it's time for it to end.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 05:29:13 PM »

Does this still need a debate?
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 05:08:48 PM »

I propose the following amendment (amending section 4;1):

(1) All hard drug offenses for personal use shall be decriminalized in the Southern Region. All hard drug offenses relating to transactions shall be decriminalized, unless one is in the business of dealing hard drugs - which retains criminal penalty

As this bill is not legalizing hard drugs outright, I do not think it makes sense to decriminalize all transactions, which would in effect give cover for dealers to operate businesses without meaningful regulatory oversight (which could only be present if hard drugs were outright legal). I believe this amendment of mine would both address the aforementioned problem, and prevent individuals who aren't dealers by trade from being criminalized for selling hard drugs.

There is comparable precedent for this sort of distinction with guns, where individuals are allowed to sell firearms without any legal sanction, unless they are "in the business of selling firearms", which requires licensure (given that there will be an obvious absence of a licensure scheme for hard drugs, it would just remain illegal). 
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »

Move to vote on the proposed amendment
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 12:17:57 AM »

Quote from: Southern Decriminalization Act of 2019 – Phase I (with amendments)
To decriminalize all drugs and stop the overincarceration of people from low-income communities

The Bill
Following the next fiscal year, all hard drug offenses for personal or transactional use shall be decriminalized in the Southern Region.

(1) The state and federal governments of Atlasia are currently eroding the personal freedom of its citizens
(2) The War on Drugs has had a disproportionate outcome impacting low-income communities; particularly young minorities.
(3) Overcriminalizing drug use has allowed prisons to profit at the expense of public safety
(4) Most people who are convicted of a drug offense have a higher chance of recidivating

The War on Drugs has been a systematic failure on every level. No citizen should be forced to go to prison, be around criminals who commit violent crimes against other citizens, and not get the proper treatment for their addiction. Government is obligated to protect life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness. The war goes against the very nature of what government ought to do. Additionally, imprisoning young people prevents them from being able to unlock their human potential and utilize their human capital. It’s unproductive on every level. Treatment, if necessary, should be promoted rather than punishment. Furthermore, we must respect the personal choices of individuals and their bodily autonomy, while also finding the root cause to drug abuse. Thus, all drugs should be decriminalized.

(1) All hard drug offenses for personal or transactional use shall be decriminalized in the Southern Region. All hard drug offenses relating to transactions shall be decriminalized, unless one is in the business of dealing hard drugs - which retains criminal penalty
(2) The Southern Government shall nullify all federal drug laws applying to drug use, not the sale of said drugs.
(3) Funding for the DEA shall be reduced by 25% every year until the resources used for the War on Drugs are completely eliminated and returned to taxpaying southerners
(4) All police, regardless of rank, are required to stop anyone in possession of hard drugs and subject said citizen to a fine that shall not exceed $250
(6) Non-citizens, residents, and citizens from other regions of Atlasia will be subject to the same treatment.
(7) The following drugs shall be decriminalized: Cocaine, Crack-Cocaine, Opium, Heroine, Amphetamine. Methamphetamine, MDMA, Salvia, Ketamine, and all drugs that are a variant of those listed
(8 ) The DEA is required to label each drug that will require mandatory treatment for those found to be in possession of a hard narcotic.
(9) State teacher wages will increase by 10% following a review of budgetary allowance. The wage increase will be renewed and reviewed every other session in the Chamber of Delegates. Any revenue received under a fine for drug use, purchase, or sale shall be allocated to wage increases for state teachers. Additionally, any revenue received from misconduct by the DEA or police shall be allocated to the budget for state teacher's salaries

I propose the following amendment:
State teacher wages will increase by 10% following a review of budgetary allowance. The wage increase will be renewed and reviewed every other session in the Chamber of Delegates. Any revenue received under a fine for drug use, purchase, or sale shall be allocated to wage increases for state teachers. Additionally, any revenue received from misconduct by the DEA or police shall be allocated to the budget for state teacher's salaries

I propose the following amendment (amending section 4;1):
(1) All hard drug offenses for personal use shall be decriminalized in the Southern Region. All hard drug offenses relating to transactions shall be decriminalized, unless one is in the business of dealing hard drugs - which retains criminal penalty

Move to vote on the proposed amendment
24 Hours to object to the amendments. Otherwise the above will become the working version of the bill. In the event of any objections, I will take proxies at this time.

Amendment A: Aye / Nay / Abstain
Amendment B: Aye / Nay / Abstain
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 03:55:45 PM »

Amendment A: Aye

Amendment B: Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 04:05:15 PM »

Amendment A: Aye

Amendment B: Aye
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 04:20:09 PM »

Aye for both
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »

Oh god, this is a disaster waiting to happen
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 12:41:30 AM »

3 ayes, 0 nays for both Amendments.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 01:50:21 AM »

motion for final vote
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 01:56:32 AM »

24 hours for objections
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 03:55:05 AM »

As there have been no objections voting is now open for S.19.3-9: Southern Decriminalization Act of 2019 – Phase I.
Voting will last 48 Hours or until all delegates have voted which ever happens first.
Sound the bells (Delegates will be DM'd)

The version of the Bill being voted on is the Following:
Quote from: Southern Decriminalization Act of 2019 – Phase I
To decriminalize all drugs and stop the over incarceration of people from low-income communities

The Bill

(1) All hard drug offenses for personal or transactional use shall be decriminalized in the Southern Region. All hard drug offenses relating to transactions shall be decriminalized, unless one is in the business of dealing hard drugs - which retains criminal penalty
(8 ) The DEA is required to label each drug that will require mandatory treatment for those found to be in possession of a hard narcotic.
(9) State teacher wages will increase by 10% following a review of budgetary allowance. The wage increase will be renewed and reviewed every other session in the Chamber of Delegates. Any revenue received under a fine for drug use, purchase, or sale shall be allocated to wage increases for state teachers. Additionally, any revenue received from misconduct by the DEA or police shall be allocated to the budget for state teacher's salaries

Voting Options are:
[   ] Aye
[   ] Nay
[   ] Abstain
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 04:24:31 AM »

aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 08:03:47 AM »

Nay
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 08:05:36 AM »

Aye
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »

aye
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »

Aye
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 03:29:59 AM »

Aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 04:56:28 AM »

Voting is now closed

S.19.3-9: Southern Decriminalization Act of 2019 – Phase I, has Passed

Final Vote Tally
[ 5 ] Aye
[ 1 ] Nay
[ 1 ] Absent - (John Henry Eden)

The Bill now awaits the Governors signature:
To decriminalize all drugs and stop the over incarceration of people from low-income communities

The Bill

Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 01:52:50 AM »

The Bill

x Young Texan

Thank you for this!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies