A More Equal Senate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:07:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  A More Equal Senate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A More Equal Senate  (Read 1642 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« on: August 13, 2019, 04:08:29 PM »

A few nights ago I was trying to think of a change in the Senate that smaller states might be okay or even supportive of. What came to mind was giving the largest states an additional Senate seat. In this system small states still have much more power/influence/representation in the Senate than in the House, but large states would have representation more fitting their large populations than they previously had in the Senate. Of course representation would still be very skewed (only 3 Senators for the 40 million people in California for example), but I was trying to think of an idea that doesn't completely revamp the current Senate setup. This would also keep the class (I,II, and III) system in the Senate intact with the new seats put in the class each large state currently doesn't have a Senator in. What I haven't decided on is what the 'cutoff' for a third seat would be. >3.00% of the total US population would result in 10 new Senate seats. >10 million people would result in 9 new seats (with Michigan currently 5,000 people away from 10M as of 2018, it should reach it in the near future, leading to 10 new seats). >20 million people would result in 3 new seats (New York being at 19.5M, so it may reach 20M at some point). I personally don't like the idea of simply having a Top 10,15, etc. But, that could definitely work as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies