Argentina mass stock market crash
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:28:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Argentina mass stock market crash
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Argentina mass stock market crash  (Read 1269 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2019, 04:38:01 PM »

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/argentina-on-brink-of-financial-crisis-market-rout-election-surprise-2019-8-1028443209

48%, Hillgoose will probably argue for an invasion to stabilize his Argentinian stock holdings.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:18:47 PM »

Just goes to show you how awful the opposition is.  Christina Kirchner is a less important but even dumber version of Trump.

Maybe we’ll have to sanction Argentina soon as well.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2019, 12:32:37 PM by Dope and Diamonds »

Paul Singer should hire Blackwater for this one.

Seriously though, I'm pissed. I don't own shares in any Argentinean firms but I do own shares in firms that have major operations in Argentina as well as ETFs that have holdings in Argentinean firms and along with DJIA -700 today it's been brutal for my portfolio. 😠😠😠
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 11:50:09 AM »

Time for regime change.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »

The bad ones haven’t even won yet.  Preemptive regime change?  I like the way you think.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »

LOL US HISTORY OF CRUSHING DEMOCRACY IN LATIN AMERICA AND PROPPING UP CORRUPT OLIGARCHIES IS HILARIOUS AMIRITE GUYZ
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »

Stock markets are not representative of how an economy is going in any shape or form. Woe to the downtrodden Argentine upper class, the ones that still have money to invest in the stock market in the first place.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »

Stock markets are not representative of how an economy is going in any shape or form. Woe to the downtrodden Argentine upper class, the ones that still have money to invest in the stock market in the first place.

Yeah, because is not like the currency also crashed by some 30%, and its not like the average Argentinian needs to buy basic foods and other products, that are now going to be much more expensive. Screw the stupid Argentinian upper class, its not like they employ anybody, like cleaners or maids, who are now going to lose their jobs. Take that, dirty American Imperialists!

Hmm, maybe I should have put an /s tag at the end of my post.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 06:09:11 PM »

Peronists are back, indeed ✌ Wink
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 08:43:06 PM »

The stock market is still very low, but the dollar seems to have stabilized at around 55/60 pesos per dollar (it was at 46 on Sunday) and the country risk / EMBI is slowly getting lower
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 09:21:50 PM »

LOL US HISTORY OF CRUSHING DEMOCRACY IN LATIN AMERICA AND PROPPING UP CORRUPT OLIGARCHIES IS HILARIOUS AMIRITE GUYZ

Chill out brah. All caps is like, yelling.

Also, the Argentine government has a history of bad behavior financially, as well as predatory debt restructuring practices that screw over foreign creditors. That is a hallmark of a corrupt government.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 10:17:44 PM »

Its not funny, just prudent.  South America is a disaster & don't yell at me Anthony.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 10:28:50 PM »

The stock market crash of 1929 would like to have a word with you. Most economic downturns are accompanied by a stock market decline.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 10:59:45 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2019, 12:20:42 AM by Velasco »

Also, the Argentine government has a history of bad behavior financially, as well as predatory debt restructuring practices that screw over foreign creditors. That is a hallmark of a corrupt government.

The caps are just yelling "YOU ARE DUMB BRO".

On the other hand, lacking sense of humour is often a hallmark of stupidity.

Don't take offence, but some of the aberrations dumped here deserve a mention in "Worst Posts of Modern Atlas"

I know this advice is unwanted, but please don't give us lessons in Argentinian or Latin American history. They are not in the Trumpette's area of expertise. Thank you bros.
Insomnian
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.40

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 01:56:33 AM »

The stock market crash of 1929 would like to have a word with you. Most economic downturns are accompanied by a stock market decline.

The Argentine stock crash in one day was larger than the entire week long stock crash of 1929 lol
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 05:17:31 AM »

The issue is that coups and foreign subterfuge are not an effective treatment to political and economic instability, but partially a major contributor. Most of the Latin American caudillos presided over shambolic, corrupt and populist economies, with political support effectively bought off by public works. Even Argentina's own history shows this in spades: the tenure of dictator Jorge Rafael Videla was completely disastrous economically, even by the standards of your average Argentinian President.

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 05:35:35 AM »

The issue is that coups and foreign subterfuge are not an effective treatment to political and economic instability, but partially a major contributor. Most of the Latin American caudillos presided over shambolic, corrupt and populist economies, with political support effectively bought off by public works. Even Argentina's own history shows this in spades: the tenure of dictator Jorge Rafael Videla was completely disastrous economically, even by the standards of your average Argentinian President.

I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting a coup as a solution on this thread though right, or in Argentina, or indeed in major FP circles in the US. If governments in Latin America defaulted to military rule its because the military remained the most organised, stable and er, reliable institution there, although civil-military relations in these countries have improved massively over the years. The foreign sponsors are what happens when intelligence agencies with bloated budgets sense an opportunity to do business with reliable business partners, which the military are more than the political class for reasons HillGoose explained. 
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »

Don't take offence, but some of the aberrations dumped here deserve a mention in "Worst Posts of Modern Atlas"

I know this advice is unwanted, but please don't give us lessons in Argentinian or Latin American history. They are not in the Trumpette's area of expertise. Thank you bros.

Dude Trump is like, a big gov communist.

Small gov ftw
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 06:24:58 AM »

It's rather irrelevant if Trump is not enough libertarian to your taste (that "small government" fetish). You are advocating some interventionist policies that John Bolton could support. The worldviews of Trump and Bolton match with yours
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »

Is there any chance this will affect the votes in the second round?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 08:44:57 AM »

It's rather irrelevant if Trump is not enough libertarian to your taste (that "small government" fetish). You are advocating some interventionist policies that John Bolton could support. The worldviews of Trump and Bolton match with yours
I don't know if you aren't aware, but you don't argue with Hillgoose. If you do be prepared for maximum frustration.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 12:59:41 PM »

Hillgoose is arguably the most laid back and humorous person on this forum IRL lol.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 06:38:29 PM »

The exchange rate difference, maybe slightly. But most people wil forget about the stock market crash (if they were ever really aware of it as the exchange rate difference dominated the news)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 02:55:48 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2019, 03:51:43 AM by Velasco »

I don't know if you aren't aware, but you don't argue with Hillgoose. If you do be prepared for maximum frustration.

Thank you for the advice, but I'm not feeling frustrated at all. I don't expect to have a serious argument with this poster in particular, actually. I tend to avoid certain boards on this forum, as the "discussion" is dominated by a certain typology of Atlas poster. For instance, my comments on US politics are very scarce (and I prefer the AAD anyway, because the "discussion" here is insane). In what regards this IGD board, it is dominated by some posters whose bigotry and narrow worldview make me chill occasionally. Most of the times I ignore them, as engaging in a discussion is a waste of time, but sometimes I can't help but saying something.

Middle and lower class voters turned their backs on Macri due to the terrible economic situation. They find Macri is guilty of the galloping inflation, which reduces the purchasing power and impoverishes a large segment of the population. Macri promised to reduce poverty and inflation when elected and failed miserably, so it's not strange he got belted. It seems unlikely pressure from "the markets" will play to Macri's interests. Actually it's in the national interest to calm the markets. Macri and Fernández are fully aware of that and had a phone talk aimed to reduce turbulence. The extreme polarization and the fact that both rivals are in campaign prevent major cooperation, but nobody wants a total collapse of the economy. Alberto Fernández is more than likely the ext president, but there is a degree of unpredictability in Argentinian voters that prevents me to say his chances are at 100%. Nobody in the ruling alliance (except maybe the ineffable Lilita Carrió) believes in a full recovery, but Macri & Friends will try to improve the electoral performance in October in order to win seats in Congress or provincial governments. Macri announced some emergency measures including VAT reduction or elimination on basic products (it was at 21%) or increase some subsidies. Finance minister resigned.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/cristina-kirchner-fiery-ex-president-returns-crisis-argentina

Macri, a millionaire businessman, is paying a heavy price for failing to deliver on his emphatic promise of zero inflation and zero poverty when he took office in December 2015. Inflation hit 54% over the last 12 months, twice the rate when he took office. Foreign debt has also more than doubled, after a loss of investor confidence in emerging markets forced Macri to seek a $57.1bn rescue package from the IMF last September, the largest loan it has ever handed out (...)

Juan Grabois, a social leader who also has close links with Pope Francis, heads the Movement of Excluded Workers (MTE), a large alliance of people without formal employment. According to him, Argentina’s “new poor” – street sellers, trash rummagers – total about six million people.

Grabois agreed that Macri’s Cambiemos party had lost touch with the dire situation of Argentina’s poor workers and middle class. “Now we are facing a crisis similar to the one in 2001,” he said.

The only reason Argentina hasn’t descended into the popular unrest and supermarket lootings that marked that crisis is due to the social aid programmes put into place by Kirchner’s government. Although these were heavily criticised by Macri’s party, the president himself has tripled the amount of social aid being handed out to stave off unrest.

“The aid only lasts those who receive it to the middle of the month, with luck, but that’s enough to keep them waiting until the start of the next month rather than taking to the streets,” Grabois said.

Grabois criticised as insufficient a string of measures announced by Macri over the course of last week: a reduction in taxes on wages and on essential food items, price controls and the freezing of mortgage payment instalments. He also questioned Macri’s chances of making it to the end of his term this December. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies