Opinion of Seattle ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:13:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Seattle ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Seattle ?
I love it

I don't love it

Mixed opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Seattle ?  (Read 797 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2019, 06:49:41 PM »

Opinion of Seattle ?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »

Massive, massive freedom city.

Not many places where you can watch whales swimming up against a stunning skyline.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 02:55:42 AM »

Only place in the US I'd voluntarily live, if I could live anywhere I wanted but couldn't leave the country.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 09:59:34 AM »

I'm a fan of all of it but the people
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »

Massive, massive freedom city.

Not many places where you can watch whales swimming up against a stunning skyline.

San Francisco.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 10:57:14 AM »

It seems probably alright, but their government is massively ing up transport.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »

maybe it was a FF in the early 90s, certainly not now.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 11:28:14 AM »

What do you mean?  From what I can see, they are building up a regional mass transit system, they are rebuilding their roads and highways, and have added new ferries to their fleet.  
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 11:32:14 AM »

kind of a mess now
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »

What do you mean?  From what I can see, they are building up a regional mass transit system, they are rebuilding their roads and highways, and have added new ferries to their fleet.  
They were doing a good job of it and had a nicely laid out plan until a couple of years ago when the government decided to change that for a cash and prestige grab. I'll give you a run down of the history.

So in 1990 they constructed the Downtown Transit Tunnel. This was done to alleviate congestion downtown by moving the buses which ran on the surface streets into the tunnel. It was also decided that the tunnel would be transitioned to a rail tunnel, with bus lines being removed from the tunnel as light rail replaced them. In 2009 the first light rail line opened and the tunnel began combined bus and rail service, which was to continue until the light rail system replaced the bus lines. It seemed to be going well, they really had things planned out for the future. Then in 2017 the city out of nowhere decided to abandon the plan and sell the northern terminus station as a part of a "convention center renovation". This caused the tunnel to be closed to buses earlier this year long before the replacement rail lines opened. So now all the buses have been forced to the surface, adding to congestion, increasing travel times, and going against the plan voters approved. So they put the outside interests who care about this convention center over Seattle residents. Shameful.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »

I've never been there, but I imagine that I would love it and fit right in.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 10:04:50 PM »

They were doing a good job of it and had a nicely laid out plan until a couple of years ago when the government decided to change that for a cash and prestige grab. I'll give you a run down of the history.

So in 1990 they constructed the Downtown Transit Tunnel. This was done to alleviate congestion downtown by moving the buses which ran on the surface streets into the tunnel. It was also decided that the tunnel would be transitioned to a rail tunnel, with bus lines being removed from the tunnel as light rail replaced them. In 2009 the first light rail line opened and the tunnel began combined bus and rail service, which was to continue until the light rail system replaced the bus lines. It seemed to be going well, they really had things planned out for the future. Then in 2017 the city out of nowhere decided to abandon the plan and sell the northern terminus station as a part of a "convention center renovation". This caused the tunnel to be closed to buses earlier this year long before the replacement rail lines opened. So now all the buses have been forced to the surface, adding to congestion, increasing travel times, and going against the plan voters approved. So they put the outside interests who care about this convention center over Seattle residents. Shameful.
That's one incedental decision which was questionable but understandable. Nonetheless, Seattle has done a marvellous job growing bus ridership, adding bus lanes, and building out ST2 and ST3 in the second biggest rail expansion in the USA. It's been run incredibly.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 12:29:42 AM »

I'm in Seattle right now, as my altered avatar shows. I really like this city. Cloudy coastal areas with lots of islands and trees are right up my alley.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies