FT 12.24 – Ballot Succession Act (Awaiting signature)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:40:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 12.24 – Ballot Succession Act (Awaiting signature)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 12.24 – Ballot Succession Act (Awaiting signature)  (Read 675 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2019, 12:06:30 PM »
« edited: August 27, 2019, 07:02:31 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN ACT
to protect the rights of electors

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Ballot Succession Act." It may be cited as the "BSA."

Section 2 (Successor ballot)
i. In the event a ballot cast in an election administered by the Commonwealth of Frémont by an otherwise-eligible elector thereof should be deleted by a Moderator or Administrator of the Atlas Forum in the course of the election, the said elector shall be permitted a second ballot, to be considered the legal successor to the deleted ballot.
ii. The term, "edit," in Article V§2 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall not be taken to refer to the deletion of a ballot by someone other than the elector who originally cast it.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman, Speaker

The member from North Dakota has the floor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 12:08:14 PM »

Simply put, this Act would allow voters to cast a second valid ballot in the event their first ballot is deleted by a moderator. With similar legislation being considered by Congress, it is important that we not only safeguard the rights of electors, but also ensure consistency on voting rights between federal and regional elections.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »

It's someone's choice if they want to use their ballot to make a remark that goes against forum standards, isn't it?  Why do we need to give them another chance to vote?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 06:23:12 PM »

It's someone's choice if they want to use their ballot to make a remark that goes against forum standards, isn't it?  Why do we need to give them another chance to vote?
Because the legitimacy of our democratic institutions is compromised when ballots are disqualified for reasons without basis in the laws of the republic. While Atlasia exists at the pleasure of the forum administrator, and the forum Terms of Service therefore take precedence over Atlasian law, the purpose of our elections is to represent the will of the Atlasian people —and compliance with the Terms of Service is not relevant to one's right to be represented. By a contrast, someone who violates Atlasian law may be deprived of their right to vote because such represents a breach in conduct with the rest of the community —i.e. Atlasians. While violations of the Terms of Service represent a breach of conduct with the forum community, loss of the rights of Atlasian citizenship is nowhere stated as a penalty for such a breach (see, for instance, that votes by socks are still counted in spite of sock accounts being forbidden by the TOS).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 07:04:36 PM »

It's someone's choice if they want to use their ballot to make a remark that goes against forum standards, isn't it?  Why do we need to give them another chance to vote?
Because the legitimacy of our democratic institutions is compromised when ballots are disqualified for reasons without basis in the laws of the republic. While Atlasia exists at the pleasure of the forum administrator, and the forum Terms of Service therefore take precedence over Atlasian law, the purpose of our elections is to represent the will of the Atlasian people —and compliance with the Terms of Service is not relevant to one's right to be represented. By a contrast, someone who violates Atlasian law may be deprived of their right to vote because such represents a breach in conduct with the rest of the community —i.e. Atlasians. While violations of the Terms of Service represent a breach of conduct with the forum community, loss of the rights of Atlasian citizenship is nowhere stated as a penalty for such a breach (see, for instance, that votes by socks are still counted in spite of sock accounts being forbidden by the TOS).

Votes for socks are still counted?!  Since when?  How does *that* not compromise the legitimacy of our elections?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »

Honestly, I'm not sure when that precedent was established; my understanding has always been that votes valid at the time they are cast remain valid regardless of any changes to the candidate's status during the election. This was the reason several voters gave for deleting their ballots in the last by-election, for example: otherwise, Enlightened Centrist would have been elected despite being a sock of a banned poster. As for legitimacy —the argument, I suppose, would be that to disqualify votes based on the actions of a candidate would be to effectively disqualify those voters for an offense they had no part in, and declaring the loser elected without a second vote is undemocratic (in that it ignores the will of the majority, who did not want that person elected). The recourse is then to declare the banned poster elected and their seat then immediately vacated, allowing for a second vote.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:39:51 PM »

Honestly, I'm not sure when that precedent was established; my understanding has always been that votes valid at the time they are cast remain valid regardless of any changes to the candidate's status during the election. This was the reason several voters gave for deleting their ballots in the last by-election, for example: otherwise, Enlightened Centrist would have been elected despite being a sock of a banned poster. As for legitimacy —the argument, I suppose, would be that to disqualify votes based on the actions of a candidate would be to effectively disqualify those voters for an offense they had no part in, and declaring the loser elected without a second vote is undemocratic (in that it ignores the will of the majority, who did not want that person elected). The recourse is then to declare the banned poster elected and their seat then immediately vacated, allowing for a second vote.

Ok, but if a voter is found to be a sock, is the sock's vote counted?  I didn't think that was the case.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 03:50:02 PM »

Ok, but if a voter is found to be a sock, is the sock's vote counted?  I didn't think that was the case.
I think it depends on the situation. If my memory of the Tyrion case serves, as long as a poster is only registered with the Census Bureau under one account at any particular time, their vote is valid, regardless of whether it is their original account. If a registered voter has a second account which is also registered with the Census Bureau, their vote is invalid under the one-person, one-vote rule.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:34 PM »

If there is no further debate, I move for a final vote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 11:54:31 AM »

Seeing no objection, we proceed to a vote. Members will vote Aye, Nay, or abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all members have voted.

Aye!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 04:52:53 PM »

Aye
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 05:42:06 PM »

Aye
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »

Aye.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »

nay
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 07:02:15 PM »

Now that the elections are behind us: with five votes in favor and none opposed, the resolution passes.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »

AN ACT
to protect the rights of electors

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be, the "Ballot Succession Act." It may be cited as the "BSA."

Section 2 (Successor ballot)
i. In the event a ballot cast in an election administered by the Commonwealth of Frémont by an otherwise-eligible elector thereof should be deleted by a Moderator or Administrator of the Atlas Forum in the course of the election, the said elector shall be permitted a second ballot, to be considered the legal successor to the deleted ballot.
ii. The term, "edit," in Article V§2 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont shall not be taken to refer to the deletion of a ballot by someone other than the elector who originally cast it.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies