FT 12.25 – Apportionment Sanity Amendment (Awaiting referendum)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:22:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 12.25 – Apportionment Sanity Amendment (Awaiting referendum)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 12.25 – Apportionment Sanity Amendment (Awaiting referendum)  (Read 387 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2019, 10:39:14 PM »
« edited: August 27, 2019, 07:02:53 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN AMENDMENT
to restore sanity to parliamentary apportionment

Section 1 (Title)
The title of this Amendment shall be, the "Apportionment Sanity Amendment."  It may be alternatively cited by its ordinal number in order of ratification.

Section 2 (Amendment)
i. Article V§3 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Frémont is amended to read as follows:
Every Parliament shall continue for three months from the first meeting of the House, and no longer, but may be sooner dissolved by the First Minister, pursuant to certain provisions as established in this Constitution. The number of members to be chosen shall be no fewer than four, not counting the First Minister. If seven or eight candidates declare, five will be elected. If nine or more candidates declare, six shall be elected. If, however, fewer than four candidates declare for House of Commons before a snap or general election, the election shall be postponed until at least four candidates have declared.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman, Speaker

The member from North Dakota has the floor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 10:41:39 PM »

Right —so when we passed the Second Parliamentary Enumeration Amendment earlier this session, it included language specifying that if fewer than four candidates declare for a general election, we just won't have an electionperiod. This Amendment would strike that provision while retaining current rules for determining the number of seats in parliament.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:31:08 AM »

Right —so when we passed the Second Parliamentary Enumeration Amendment earlier this session, it included language specifying that if fewer than four candidates declare for a general election, we just won't have an electionperiod. This Amendment would strike that provision while retaining current rules for determining the number of seats in parliament.

Why is the "not counting the first Minister" thing being stricken if the goal is to maintain the status quo? Striking that would actually change the status quo on lowest seats from 4+FM to 3+FM, as the FM is a sitting member of Parliament.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:39:32 AM »

Why is the "not counting the first Minister" thing being stricken if the goal is to maintain the status quo? Striking that would actually change the status quo on lowest seats from 4+FM to 3+FM, as the FM is a sitting member of Parliament.
Because the first minister is not a "Member of Parliament" —they're the head of government and act as a member in that capacity. The inclusion of that clause in the original amendment was a typo.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »

Because the first minister is not a "Member of Parliament" —they're the head of government and act as a member in that capacity. The inclusion of that clause in the original amendment was a typo.

It never seemed to me that was a typo.  I thought it was in there for the sake of clarity.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:47:03 PM »

It never seemed to me that was a typo.  I thought it was in there for the sake of clarity.
I would argue referring to the first minister as a Member of Parliament when in fact he is not is counterproductive to that point.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:52 PM »

If there is no further debate, I move for a final vote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »

I will support this.  The current form of the amendment was shortsighted on my part, though I'm still skeptical that a body of less than four or five members can be very deliberative.  If the Parliament desires to adjust its size, however, then snap elections should continue to be an option.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 09:45:05 PM »

I will support this.  The current form of the amendment was shortsighted on my part, though I'm still skeptical that a body of less than four or five members can be very deliberative.  If the Parliament desires to adjust its size, however, then snap elections should continue to be an option.
I agree.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 11:55:15 AM »

Seeing no objection, we proceed to a vote. Members will vote Aye, Nay, or abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all members have voted.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »

Aye!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »

Aye
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 05:42:51 PM »

Aye
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:00 PM »

Aye.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 07:03:27 PM »

Now that the elections are behind us: with four votes in favor and one member not voting, the resolution passes. The Apportionment Sanity Amendment will now proceed to a public referendum.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies