Vast majority of Americans support a number of commonsense gun reforms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:23:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Vast majority of Americans support a number of commonsense gun reforms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Vast majority of Americans support a number of commonsense gun reforms  (Read 1271 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »

There should be a package that does all the above (minus the handgun ban).
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 02:14:25 PM »

As I said elsewhere, most politicians on Capitol Hill have drunk too much Kool-Aid from the gun lobby to take any substantive action on this front. The only remedy is to replace them with politicians who refuse to take any financial contributions from the gun lobby.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »

Then these vast majority of Americans should vote on this issue if they really feel this way.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:25:38 PM »

ahhahaaha @ "ban semi-auto weapons"
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 02:59:22 PM »

It's amazing how the majority of the country is only right when they agree the Republican Party. If a poll is favorable to Republican positions they say "we should pass this because it's what the American people want" but when it's not favorable they say "we shouldn't govern by polling". None of this would hurt legal gun owners with no ill intentions no matter what the NRA says.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 03:03:35 PM »

None of this would hurt legal gun owners with no ill intentions no matter what the NRA says.
what?  Most of those would "hurt legal gun owners".  How do you think it wouldn't hurt gun owners if semi-autos are banned?  You do understand that's the vast majority of guns, right?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »

None of this would hurt legal gun owners with no ill intentions no matter what the NRA says.
what?  Most of those would "hurt legal gun owners".  How do you think it wouldn't hurt gun owners if semi-autos are banned?  You do understand that's the vast majority of guns, right?

I don't subscribe to those lies. Go talk to your state congressperson about all that mess, because I'm not buying it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »

the "state congressperson" bit makes me think that was supposed to be an insult, but I'm too ignorant to see it I guess.

Most guns are semi-auto, banning them would most certainly hurt gun owners.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 03:20:50 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2019, 03:36:23 PM by Invisible Obama »

Most people might have a different idea of what semi-automatic means, but it's highly unlikely that any legislation would ban all guns and only the ones that allow mass shooters to wipe out large numbers of people quickly.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 03:31:31 PM »

Most people might have a different idea of what semi-automatic means,
indeed, which is why the poll is pointless
but it's highly likely that any legislation would ban all guns and only the ones that allow mass shooters to wipe out large numbers of people quickly.
I assume you mean "wouldn't ban all guns".  Details are very important. Wink
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »

Most guns are semi-auto, banning them would most certainly hurt gun owners.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 07:15:42 PM »

Much of this aligns with what the NRA used to support until the crazies took it over in 1977, and began their slow and steady redefining of the Second Amendment.

"I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. ... I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses." - Karl Frederick, NRA President, 1934
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 08:18:30 PM »

The 27% who support a ban on handgun sales except for cops are all massive HPs. Bet more than a few have a black lives matter sign on their front lawn as well.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 09:25:48 PM »

Issue polling like this is borderline worthless. You can get pretty much any response you want depending on how you word the questions.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 06:59:51 AM »

The 27% who support a ban on handgun sales except for cops are all massive HPs. Bet more than a few have a black lives matter sign on their front lawn as well.

I don't think cops should have them, either. But that wasn't an option on this poll.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 07:10:39 AM »

Like welfare or tax reform, the people that oppose applying what works lean toward having heavy disposable income; the 2A folks have the cash and other means to prevent any meaningful change. Like the issues mentioned previously, they obviously won’t impact what is perceived as a personal attack against their structural protection against the darkies, come on now “advantages” over here.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 07:22:01 AM »

Issue polling like this is borderline worthless. You can get pretty much any response you want depending on how you word the questions.

You're right.  I hope they do nothing like always and people continue to get shot up in the name of economic anxiety.

Roll Eyes
Omega21

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 08:13:36 AM »

ahhahaaha @ "ban semi-auto weapons"

Yeah, the

Ban handgun sales except to cops—27% 👍 63%

and

Ban semi-automatic weapons—59% 👍 30% 👎

immediately disqualify this lol.

Obviously, these people have no idea pistols are semi-auto, but hey, it's the thought that counts.

Plus, it's not guns that are the problem.

I come from a country where there are more military-grade unregistered guns than people (all hail communist AK and SKS overproduction), and crime (violent and non-violent) is still far far far lower than in the US.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 08:45:31 AM »

The new Fox poll also has some gun-related questions, including:

NRA favorability: 42/47 (first time it's ever been underwater)

Which do you believe is a bigger threat here in the United States? 1. A terrorist attack by Islamic terrorists 2. A mass shooting by an American citizen

Terrorist attack 17
Mass shooting 60
Both 16
Neither 3

Do you think the Trump administration has made the country safer or less safe from a mass shooting by an American citizen, or has it not made much difference either way?

Safer 15
Less safe 46

Do you favor or oppose each of the following proposals to reduce gun violence?

Requiring criminal background checks on all gun buyers, including those buying at gun shows and private sales  90/7

Allowing police to temporarily take guns away from  people who have been shown to be a danger to themselves or others 81/13

Banning assault rifles and semi-automatic weapons 67/27

Omega21

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »

Which do you believe is a bigger threat here in the United States? 1. A terrorist attack by Islamic terrorists 2. A mass shooting by an American citizen

Terrorist attack 17
Mass shooting 60
Both 16
Neither 3

Do you think the Trump administration has made the country safer or less safe from a mass shooting by an American citizen, or has it not made much difference either way?

Safer 15
Less safe 46

Requiring criminal background checks on all gun buyers, including those buying at gun shows and private sales  90/7

Allowing police to temporarily take guns away from  people who have been shown to be a danger to themselves or others 81/13

The problem I have is, do people actually know almost all weapons including pistols are semi-auto?

As in the poll above, when asked about pistols the results are flipped, yet pistols are also semi-auto.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »

Terrorist attack 17
Mass shooting 60
Both 16
Neither 3

Safer 15
Less safe 46

The problem I have is, do people actually know almost all weapons including pistols are semi-auto?

As in the poll above, when asked about pistols the results are flipped, yet pistols are also semi-auto.

I suspect that most people are equating semi-automatic to assault rifles.  It would be interesting to see the results if it was separated into two questions.
Omega21

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 09:12:02 AM »

Terrorist attack 17
Mass shooting 60
Both 16
Neither 3

Safer 15
Less safe 46

I suspect that most people are equating semi-automatic to assault rifles.  It would be interesting to see the results if it was separated into two questions.

Yeah, it would be a much more accurate representation.

A lot of people are very uneducated when it comes to firearms and they seem to base their opinion on "how scary the weapon looks".

I'm sure if people were shown an AR and an SKS, they would immediately jump and say to ban the AR, even though an SKS with a higher cap mag is effectively the same thing, just with a bigger, meaner bullet.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 02:41:49 PM »

but assault rifles are (virtually) illegal.  Remember, that's why they made up the word "assault weapon".
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »

but assault rifles are (virtually) illegal.  Remember, that's why they made up the word "assault weapon".

Virtually does a lot of work here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »

Virtually does a lot of work here.
I don't understand what point you think you're making.

A citizen can get a proper assault rifle, if they live in a county with a cool sheriff, has the EXTREME amount of money needed to buy one and can pass the extensive tests required, just like they can buy any other fully automatic weapon.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies