Vast majority of Americans support a number of commonsense gun reforms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:30:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Vast majority of Americans support a number of commonsense gun reforms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Vast majority of Americans support a number of commonsense gun reforms  (Read 1270 times)
Karpatsky
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 05:22:47 PM »

This poll illustrates well Churchill's point about the greatest argument against democracy, and why the erosion of trust in expertise is so dangerous - most people have no idea what they are talking about on even the most basic and simple facts on even the most high-profile issues. Regardless of your stance on this issue, I hope that we can agree the fact that vast quantities of people cannot come even to an internally consistent position is a serious problem in using this poll to come to policy (rather than political) conclusions.

I vaguely remember seeing a historical drama on the Declaration of Independence - I think it was 1776 but I am not certain - in which the key scene is one where a representative, instructed by his delegation to vote against, votes 'for' instead, on the grounds that he was not chosen just as a messenger of a pre-determined decision, but as a responsible and principled person empowered to use his judgement to come to what he decided would result in the best outcome for the people he represented. This is the true job of those in Congress, but it has been forgotten with an all-too-fast election cycle and voters who have been repeatedly told that representative democracy is about 'the will of the people'. 
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »

This poll illustrates well Churchill's point about the greatest argument against democracy, and why the erosion of trust in expertise is so dangerous - most people have no idea what they are talking about on even the most basic and simple facts on even the most high-profile issues. Regardless of your stance on this issue, I hope that we can agree the fact that vast quantities of people cannot come even to an internally consistent position is a serious problem in using this poll to come to policy (rather than political) conclusions.

I vaguely remember seeing a historical drama on the Declaration of Independence - I think it was 1776 but I am not certain - in which the key scene is one where a representative, instructed by his delegation to vote against, votes 'for' instead, on the grounds that he was not chosen just as a messenger of a pre-determined decision, but as a responsible and principled person empowered to use his judgement to come to what he decided would result in the best outcome for the people he represented. This is the true job of those in Congress, but it has been forgotten with an all-too-fast election cycle and voters who have been repeatedly told that representative democracy is about 'the will of the people'. 

That was indeed 1776.  The representative was Lyman Hall of Georgia.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »

the vast majority of americans also supported the iraq war as well
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 11:13:51 PM »

As I said elsewhere, most politicians on Capitol Hill have drunk too much Kool-Aid from the gun lobby to take any substantive action on this front. The only remedy is to replace them with politicians who refuse to take any financial contributions from the gun lobby.
Feel The Bern
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies