ISPU: Jews only major religious group in US to view Muslims favorably
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:45:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ISPU: Jews only major religious group in US to view Muslims favorably
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ISPU: Jews only major religious group in US to view Muslims favorably  (Read 1835 times)
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 12:27:33 AM »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity.  

It’s not enough that anti-Semites keep trying to goysplain anti-Semitism, now folks are trying to goysplain Jewish identity too (and naturally get it completely wrong)?  Really?  Then again, the mods leaving Idaho Conservative’s low key anti-Semitic posts untouched while deleting those calling him out for said anti-Semitism is arguably Peak Atlas.
Goysplain?  That sounds like the real slur.  Goy is a derogatory term.  You complain about offensive comments (all the time) but then spew out slurs against others and baselessly accuse me of bigotry.  I did not report you, however, I believe in free speech online, I don't like what you said but I want to refute it, not delete it.  If I got jewish identity so wrong, please enlighten me. 

Goy means non-Jew, genius Roll Eyes  Nothing derogatory about it.
I know the dictionary definition.  But it's often used in a derogatory way, like you did.  "Goysplaining"  Gentile is a more neutral term.

I wasn't trying to say something nice about you, if that's what you mean.  But I wasn't using some sort of slur against you either.
Right back at ya
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »

Hmm, religious group (with extensive history of suffering persecution) views religious group (with a little more recent history of suffering persecution) sympathetically?

The above-listed description of (presumably) Jews bears little resemblance to the overall experience of Muslims throughout history. 

Read the history of the Ottoman Empire, the treatment of women in Saudi Arabia, and the persecution of religious minorities in any number of predominantly Muslim countries, and get back to me.

There is only one (1) predominantly Jewish country in the World, and a significant chunk of this forum wishes it were driven into the sea, based on what I read here.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2019, 10:47:44 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2019, 10:54:06 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Hmm, religious group (with extensive history of suffering persecution) views religious group (with a little more recent history of suffering persecution) sympathetically?

The above-listed description of (presumably) Jews bears little resemblance to the overall experience of Muslims throughout history.

He’s not saying that they are historically similar, I’m not sure why you interpreted it that way. Note where he says “with a little more recent history of suffering persecution.” And he’s correct, we do relate to the current treatment of Muslims living in Western countries by right-wing Islamaphobes as being hauntingly reminiscent of the types of slanders that have led to persecutions throughout our history.

There is only one (1) predominantly Jewish country in the World, and a significant chunk of this forum wishes it were driven into the sea, based on what I read here.

Not really, more like a significant chunk of the forum views the current crop of right-wing zionists with contempt due to their de facto support of ethnic cleansing.

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2019, 11:27:30 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2019, 11:38:06 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity.  

For the record, this applies to a lot of Israelis, too, who identify as Israeli nationals first and foremost and could hardly be considered to be following the Halakhic laws.  

I’m not sure why this matters as far as what American Jews’ opinions are on Muslims, though. Jewish identity expands beyond just its religious aspect, so the lack of observance for many American Jews doesn’t really invalidate any aspect of trying to measure what the “Jewish” opinion is on any particular topic. The Jewish people have always been varying degrees of observant throughout our history.

Additionally, as far as more religiously observant Jews are concerned, they would generally find the overall theology of Islam less objectionable than that of Christianity, at least that’s generally been the case from a historical perspective. Suffice to say, the current alliance between Orthodox Jews and conservative Christians is one of political convenience born out of modern geopolitical developments, not out of a closer spiritual kinship towards each other as opposed to Islam.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2019, 11:49:09 PM »

I'm sure the opposite is true too  <snicker>

Jews are the most popular religious demographic in America outside of white nationalist circles, so Muslims wouldn’t be the only ones to view them favorably. But yes, Muslims in the U.S. probably hold positive opinions towards American Jews. The Jewish community will be among the first to reach out to new arrivals to help them settle in and tend to maintain strong cross-organizational ties with most religious groups.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2019, 12:22:32 AM »

It’s not enough that anti-Semites keep trying to goysplain anti-Semitism, now folks are trying to goysplain Jewish identity too (and naturally get it completely wrong)?  Really?  Then again, the mods leaving Idaho Conservative’s low key anti-Semitic posts untouched while deleting those calling him out for said anti-Semitism is arguably Peak Atlas.
Goysplain?  That sounds like the real slur.  Goy is a derogatory term.  You complain about offensive comments (all the time) but then spew out slurs against others and baselessly accuse me of bigotry.  I did not report you, however, I believe in free speech online, I don't like what you said but I want to refute it, not delete it.  If I got jewish identity so wrong, please enlighten me. 

Goy means non-Jew, genius Roll Eyes  Nothing derogatory about it.

You know what's funny? On this forum, I actually referred to antisemitic candidates as "goy trash" because it's fun.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2019, 06:35:50 AM »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity. 

Religion, in general, is about more than belief in god(s) or anything like that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies