ISPU: Jews only major religious group in US to view Muslims favorably
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:23:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ISPU: Jews only major religious group in US to view Muslims favorably
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ISPU: Jews only major religious group in US to view Muslims favorably  (Read 1839 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 02:27:44 PM »

I'm sure the opposite is true too  <snicker>
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 02:44:44 PM »

I'm sure the opposite is true too  <snicker>
Cheers, mate.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:19:37 PM »

I don't care if people hate us. If they want to what ever their loss.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »

But cons will tell us Jews and Muslims are natural enemies
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 07:24:04 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2019, 02:47:34 AM by Associate Justice PiT »

Hmm, religious group (with extensive history of suffering persecution) views religious group (with a little more recent history of suffering persecution) sympathetically?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 08:22:55 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2019, 08:29:11 PM by Bagel23 »

Purple heart yall too Smiley

45-10 approve (who are the 45 percent that have no opinion lol)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »

Presumably, the 45% who were afraid to state their true opinion.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 12:30:13 AM »

they didn't poll muslims?
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 04:21:36 PM »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity. 

Jewishness is an identity that includes more than just practicing Jews.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 04:26:23 PM »

You know nothing
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 04:33:22 PM »

I'm guessing it's a lot of moderate heros who would say something like"depends on the person"
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 05:08:26 PM »

That means it isn't a religious identity to them.  Well it is to orthodox and hasids though.  Jewish identity is not monolithic, as it's not solely religious like it used to be.  I'm not saying I have a problem with ethnic or racial identity however, just saying what it is. 
Hollywood
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »

That means it isn't a religious identity to them.  Well it is to orthodox and hasids though.  Jewish identity is not monolithic, as it's not solely religious like it used to be.  I'm not saying I have a problem with ethnic or racial identity however, just saying what it is. 

I don’t know where to start with this study, because it contains so many egregiously deceptive conclusions based on laughably flawed data.  When one of the preferred conclusion cannot rely on their cherry-picked data, they falsify the information. 

For example, on page 18 of the study, they conclude that Muslims are more like to report unwanted sexual advances to  law enforcement (54%)  than to faith leaders (44%).  The results for reporting sexual advances to the police is missing from the data set, and the results asking whether they reported community leaders shows 44% would and 54% would not.  All they did was falsely report the results, which indicates that they would be just as likely or less likely to report unwanted sexual advances.  They eliminated the data for Jews, protestants and Catholics.  See page 12 of the data set for evidence. 

https://www.ispu.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/AMP-2019_Predicting-and-Preventing-Islamophobia-2-2.pdf?x94258

https://www.ispu.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/AMP-2019_Appendix-III_Data-Tables.pdf?x94258

Then there is the unreliable data.  They classify Christians into all kinds of sects, but do not do the same for Jews.  You are basically comparing devote Christians with Jews that have never been to synagogue in their life.   All they did was cherry-pick Jews from a more detailed survey of all religious sect Jews, as well as individuals that don’t even practice or consider themselves, but have a Jewish parent.  This results in a margin of error of 7.6% for Jews.  Then they poll a couple hundred of each group, except for Evangelicals.  We don’t even know how many evangelicals are polled in the study. 
Hollywood
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 08:03:48 PM »

The data is clearly cooked.  How does only 73% of Evangelicals have a favorable opinion of Evangelicals?  The most devout group of people in America don't have an opinion of their religion?  Doesn't make sense. 

SInNYC

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 08:21:51 AM »

The data is clearly cooked.  How does only 73% of Evangelicals have a favorable opinion of Evangelicals?  The most devout group of people in America don't have an opinion of their religion?  Doesn't make sense. 

I obviously dont know whether or not the data is cooked, but its quite possible for people to think highly of their own church/denomination but hate others. For example, maybe Pentecostals believe southern Baptists are all going to hell.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 09:04:03 AM »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity.  

It’s not enough that anti-Semites keep trying to goysplain anti-Semitism, now folks are trying to goysplain Jewish identity too (and naturally get it completely wrong)?  Really?  Then again, the mods leaving Idaho Conservative’s low key anti-Semitic posts untouched while deleting those calling him out for said anti-Semitism is arguably Peak Atlas.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 10:04:31 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2019, 10:09:31 AM by Horus »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity.  

It’s not enough that anti-Semites keep trying to goysplain anti-Semitism, now folks are trying to goysplain Jewish identity too (and naturally get it completely wrong)?  Really?  Then again, the mods leaving Idaho Conservative’s low key anti-Semitic posts untouched while deleting those calling him out for said anti-Semitism is arguably Peak Atlas.

If it's so bad and hateful here you could always leave and never come back. Sure would decrease the amount of whining we have to deal with on the daily.

And it appears at least one of his posts was deleted.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »

It’s not enough that anti-Semites keep trying to goysplain anti-Semitism, now folks are trying to goysplain Jewish identity too (and naturally get it completely wrong)?
Jews don't get to define what anti-semetism is, just like christians don't get to define what's anti-christianity is and black people don't get to define what racism is. These things have strict and proper dictionary or thesaurus definitions.

WITHIN THAT DEFINITION, yes jews have a lot of say on what falls within the boundaries and what doesn't. Same for christuans, black people, etc etc. Absolutely, because jewish people understand anti-semetism better than most for obvious reasons. That being said, people don't get to change the actual definition of anti-semetism to say "criticizing anybody or anything in any way that just so happens to be jewish is automatically anti-semetic, so no criticism is allowed ever for any reason". There is a lot of this going on in the USA government due to Israel lobbying. It's ridiculous.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »

It’s not enough that anti-Semites keep trying to goysplain anti-Semitism, now folks are trying to goysplain Jewish identity too (and naturally get it completely wrong)?
Jews don't get to define what anti-semetism is, just like christians don't get to define what's anti-christianity is and black people don't get to define what racism is. These things have strict and proper dictionary or thesaurus definitions.

WITHIN THAT DEFINITION, yes jews have a lot of say on what falls within the boundaries and what doesn't. Same for christuans, black people, etc etc. Absolutely, because jewish people understand anti-semetism better than most for obvious reasons. That being said, people don't get to change the actual definition of anti-semetism to say "criticizing anybody or anything in any way that just so happens to be jewish is automatically anti-semetic, so no criticism is allowed ever for any reason". There is a lot of this going on in the USA government due to Israel lobbying. It's ridiculous.
I'd argue the overuse of words like that cheapens their meaning.  Which in the long run is a really bad thing.  Also, I wasn't even criticizing jews, just pointing out how complex jewish identity is, and I highlighted that to explain the discrepancy with jews vs other groups on political and social issues. Non religious americans are solidly to the left of the general public, since most jews are non religious it makes sense jews would on average be more liberal.  However, orthodox jews are far more conservative.  Again, this just highlights the complexity of using self identified jews as a religious group, considering most aren't actually religious. 
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »

Goysplain?  That sounds like the real slur.  Goy is a derogatory term.  You complain about offensive comments (all the time) but then spew out slurs against others and baselessly accuse me of bigotry.  I did not report you, however, I believe in free speech online, I don't like what you said but I want to refute it, not delete it.  If I got jewish identity so wrong, please enlighten me. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 11:40:02 PM »

Goysplain?  That sounds like the real slur.  Goy is a derogatory term.  You complain about offensive comments (all the time) but then spew out slurs against others and baselessly accuse me of bigotry.  I did not report you, however, I believe in free speech online, I don't like what you said but I want to refute it, not delete it.  If I got jewish identity so wrong, please enlighten me. 

Goy means non-Jew, genius Roll Eyes  Nothing derogatory about it.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 12:04:53 AM »

I know the dictionary definition.  But it's often used in a derogatory way, like you did.  "Goysplaining"  Gentile is a more neutral term.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 12:08:42 AM »

I know the dictionary definition.  But it's often used in a derogatory way, like you did.  "Goysplaining"  Gentile is a more neutral term.

I wasn't trying to say something nice about you, if that's what you mean.  But I wasn't using some sort of slur against you either.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies