ISPU: Jews only major religious group in US to view Muslims favorably (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:12:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ISPU: Jews only major religious group in US to view Muslims favorably (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ISPU: Jews only major religious group in US to view Muslims favorably  (Read 1851 times)
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« on: August 15, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity. 
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 05:08:26 PM »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity. 

Jewishness is an identity that includes more than just practicing Jews.
That means it isn't a religious identity to them.  Well it is to orthodox and hasids though.  Jewish identity is not monolithic, as it's not solely religious like it used to be.  I'm not saying I have a problem with ethnic or racial identity however, just saying what it is. 
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »

It’s not enough that anti-Semites keep trying to goysplain anti-Semitism, now folks are trying to goysplain Jewish identity too (and naturally get it completely wrong)?
Jews don't get to define what anti-semetism is, just like christians don't get to define what's anti-christianity is and black people don't get to define what racism is. These things have strict and proper dictionary or thesaurus definitions.

WITHIN THAT DEFINITION, yes jews have a lot of say on what falls within the boundaries and what doesn't. Same for christuans, black people, etc etc. Absolutely, because jewish people understand anti-semetism better than most for obvious reasons. That being said, people don't get to change the actual definition of anti-semetism to say "criticizing anybody or anything in any way that just so happens to be jewish is automatically anti-semetic, so no criticism is allowed ever for any reason". There is a lot of this going on in the USA government due to Israel lobbying. It's ridiculous.
I'd argue the overuse of words like that cheapens their meaning.  Which in the long run is a really bad thing.  Also, I wasn't even criticizing jews, just pointing out how complex jewish identity is, and I highlighted that to explain the discrepancy with jews vs other groups on political and social issues. Non religious americans are solidly to the left of the general public, since most jews are non religious it makes sense jews would on average be more liberal.  However, orthodox jews are far more conservative.  Again, this just highlights the complexity of using self identified jews as a religious group, considering most aren't actually religious. 
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity.  

It’s not enough that anti-Semites keep trying to goysplain anti-Semitism, now folks are trying to goysplain Jewish identity too (and naturally get it completely wrong)?  Really?  Then again, the mods leaving Idaho Conservative’s low key anti-Semitic posts untouched while deleting those calling him out for said anti-Semitism is arguably Peak Atlas.
Goysplain?  That sounds like the real slur.  Goy is a derogatory term.  You complain about offensive comments (all the time) but then spew out slurs against others and baselessly accuse me of bigotry.  I did not report you, however, I believe in free speech online, I don't like what you said but I want to refute it, not delete it.  If I got jewish identity so wrong, please enlighten me. 
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 12:04:53 AM »

The problem with these kind of statistics is most aren't even really believers in the Jewish religion.  Most are actually atheists. https://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsdontbelieve/  It would be like polling an atheist European country and saying that's what Christians believe, because that group was historically Christian.  To most jews, it's a racial not religious identity.  

It’s not enough that anti-Semites keep trying to goysplain anti-Semitism, now folks are trying to goysplain Jewish identity too (and naturally get it completely wrong)?  Really?  Then again, the mods leaving Idaho Conservative’s low key anti-Semitic posts untouched while deleting those calling him out for said anti-Semitism is arguably Peak Atlas.
Goysplain?  That sounds like the real slur.  Goy is a derogatory term.  You complain about offensive comments (all the time) but then spew out slurs against others and baselessly accuse me of bigotry.  I did not report you, however, I believe in free speech online, I don't like what you said but I want to refute it, not delete it.  If I got jewish identity so wrong, please enlighten me. 

Goy means non-Jew, genius Roll Eyes  Nothing derogatory about it.
I know the dictionary definition.  But it's often used in a derogatory way, like you did.  "Goysplaining"  Gentile is a more neutral term.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:27:33 AM »

Goy means non-Jew, genius Roll Eyes  Nothing derogatory about it.
I know the dictionary definition.  But it's often used in a derogatory way, like you did.  "Goysplaining"  Gentile is a more neutral term.

I wasn't trying to say something nice about you, if that's what you mean.  But I wasn't using some sort of slur against you either.
Right back at ya
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies