HR 19-40: Equal Rights for Everyone Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:01:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HR 19-40: Equal Rights for Everyone Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: HR 19-40: Equal Rights for Everyone Amendment (Failed)  (Read 2087 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2019, 08:45:50 AM »

Nice to see the Federalist Party (minus Yankee) and the ACP do not agree with the equality of rights for the people of Atlasia Smiley

If you bothered actually reading the thread, we do.

The Constitution already has an equal protection clause, and I proposed an amendment that actually makes more sense than the wording that was presented to us.

It is worth noting that during the Senate debate the Chief Justice said that the original wording (which included "any other social or physical characteristic" at the end) was too broad, so that got edited out.

So that amendment either would simply be a repeat of the equal protection clause with a different wording (like Wulfric claimed I think) or it would have the exact problems as the original Senate wording of being too broad.

Mind you I am not opposed to include more explicit protections for more cases (including for example protections for sexual orientation/identity, which I apparenty forgot to include; or political beliefs as TPH said).
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2019, 10:33:46 AM »

Nice to see the Federalist Party (minus Yankee) and the ACP do not agree with the equality of rights for the people of Atlasia Smiley

The Constitution already has an equal protection clause, and I proposed an amendment that actually makes more sense than the wording that was presented to us.

It is worth noting that during the Senate debate the Chief Justice said that the original wording (which included "any other social or physical characteristic" at the end) was too broad, so that got edited out.

So that amendment either would simply be a repeat of the equal protection clause with a different wording (like Wulfric claimed I think) or it would have the exact problems as the original Senate wording of being too broad.

Mind you I am not opposed to include more explicit protections for more cases (including for example protections for sexual orientation/identity, which I apparenty forgot to include; or political beliefs as TPH said).

We shouldn't we getting into specifics for every possible case in our Constitution. The equal protection clause already covers this issue.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2019, 01:41:36 AM »

The problem is that the more specific you get the more likely you are to leave something out
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2019, 01:52:29 AM »

The problem is that the more specific you get the more likely you are to leave something out

And the Senate debate thread proves that point.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2019, 04:53:03 AM »

This is a peak atlas thread
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2019, 03:45:40 PM »

HR 19-40 has failed to pass by a vote of 5-4.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies