SENATE BILL: Assistance to Rural Farm Stress Assistance Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:45:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Assistance to Rural Farm Stress Assistance Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Assistance to Rural Farm Stress Assistance Act (Passed)  (Read 1351 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »
« edited: October 03, 2019, 12:24:26 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

A BILL
To establish a farm and ranch stress assistance network

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in Congress assembled,
Assistance to Rural Farm Stress Assistance Act

SECTION 1. FINDINGS.
Congress finds the following
1. Agricultural work continues to be highly stressful, characterized by uncertainty, and subject to changing market conditions, the unpredictable nature of weather, and other factors beyond the control of agricultural producers
2. Individuals working in agriculture have the highest overall suicide rate among all occupations
3. Access to behavioral health care is often limited among individuals working in agriculture due to time and geographical constraints
4. Agricultural workers are in need of specialized behavioral health programs that are affordable, available as needed, and carried out with understanding of concerns specific to agricultural work

SECTION 2. FARM AND RANCH STRESS ASSISTANCE NETWORKS.

(a) State Networks.—
(1) Grants.—The Secretary of Internal Affairs shall establish a program providing competitive grants to State departments of agriculture, State cooperative extension services, and nonprofit organizations.
(2) Eligibility.—Eligibility for competitive grants provided under paragraph (1) shall only be provided in which the purpose of which is to establish a farm and ranch stress assistance network to provide stress assistance programs to affected individuals, including counseling and support through—
 (A) farm telephone helplines and internet websites
 (B) training for advocates for affected individuals and other individuals or entities that may assist affected individuals in crises
 (C) support groups
 (D) outreach services and activities
 (E) home delivery of assistance
(3) Use of Funds.—A competitive grant provided under this subsection may be used to enter into a contract with a community-based, direct-service organization to initiate, expand, or maintain an eligible cooperative program in the State.

(b) National Network.—
(1) Establishment.—The Secretary of Internal Affairs shall establish a National Farm and Ranch Stress Assistance Network to coordinate stress assistance programs on a national scale for affected individuals
(2) Director.—The Secretary of Internal Affairs shall appoint an individual in the Department of Agriculture to be the Director of the national network.

(c) Authorization Of Appropriations
1. There is authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of Internal Affairs, to carry out activities through the national network and State networks, $15,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2019 through 2023.

SECTION 3. REPORTS TO CONGRESS.
(a) Report.—
(1) In General.—One year after the enactment of this act, a report describing the state of behavioral and mental health in farmers and ranchers shall be submitted to Congress, and made publicly available.
(2) Contents of Report.—The report under paragraph (1) shall include—
 (A) an assessment of efforts made to support the mental health of farmers and ranchers by the federal, state, entities of local government, and communities that are comprised of farmers and ranchers
 (B) a description of challenges faced by farmers and ranchers, including financial, medical, and other challenges, that may impact the mental health of farmers and ranchers
 (C) an evaluation of the impact of farmer and rancher suicides on the agricultural workforce, production, and rural families

People's Regional Senate

Sponsor: Tack50
Senate Designation: SB19:46
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:57:03 PM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence advocacy and the other members have 48 hours to respond.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:40:47 AM »

This bill will bring much needed relief to the rural areas of our nation and help farmers with the problems that arise from their occupation
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 01:40:47 AM »

What is the suicide rate for agriculture versus other occupations?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 06:59:42 PM »

According to this report, the suicide rate for agriculture was 1.5 times higher than the national average, and could be slightly higher than that because of suicides being marked as accidents

https://talkbusiness.net/2019/05/cdc-farm-stress-suicides-a-rising-rural-health-concern/

Other reports suggest an even higher rate of 3.5 times higher than the general population average. However, that same article also suggests that another study showed it on par with the average, though it depends on how you look at the data (plus even that study that put it close to the average does show the male farmers suicide rate to be twice that of the general population)

https://nfu.org/2018/11/27/cdc-study-clarifies-data-on-farm-stress/

Overall, it seems to me that the suicide rate in agriculture is approximately twice that of the general population.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 01:51:45 AM »

What constitutes "behavior health care" and what does the deployment of that look like?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 05:48:20 AM »

What constitutes "behavior health care" and what does the deployment of that look like?

From what I can tell, "behavior health care" is basically just a broader term for "mental healthcare", that also includes behaviours that could lead to actual mental health issues, substance abuse and what not.

But the deployment of it wouldn't look too different from a generic "mental health" deployment.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/promoting-hope-preventing-suicide/200910/behavioral-health-versus-mental-health
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 12:33:05 AM »

To be more specific, I am concerned about the ability to get these resources to the people who need them? It talks of internet resources and phone help lines. Is it safe to assume these workers have access to these things? What is the rates of cell phone ownership among agricultural workers? 

It also talks about "home delivery of assistance", as well, which I think is important component, but that assumes we in a position to know where and when to deploy said resources for home delivery of assistance.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 03:30:32 PM »

To be more specific, I am concerned about the ability to get these resources to the people who need them? It talks of internet resources and phone help lines. Is it safe to assume these workers have access to these things? What is the rates of cell phone ownership among agricultural workers? 

It also talks about "home delivery of assistance", as well, which I think is important component, but that assumes we in a position to know where and when to deploy said resources for home delivery of assistance.

According to this report by Pew, 95% of rural Atlasians own a cellphone, while 71% own a smartphone (and thus, very likely they have some internet access). It is also safe to assume that of the remaining 29%, a not insignificant percentage will probably own a computer of some sort and have internet access as well; while the 5% of rural Atlasians without cellphones at least a handful will probably own a landline phone.

If I had to put made up numbers, I imagine 97% of rural Atlasians would be able to access phone resources and about 75% would be able to access internet resources. So I would say that it is pretty safe to assume that a large proportion of rural residents will be able to access these resources.

As for home delivery of assistance, I admit it is hard to know where and when assistance needs to be deployed. Trying to think of some solutions:

One option would be to include as part of this program a study regarding mental healthcare in Atlasia, possibly delaying this program until after the study; in order to know where exactly to apply these resources.

Another option could be to focus on more prevention rather "treatment" (though people who are found with mental problems will obviously be treated). I know here in RL it's not at all rare for social services in rural areas to visit several villages and talk to the locals for a while. Loneliness is one of the biggest problems for rural areas from what I can tell. It's not hard to imagine a team of psychologists visiting rural areas and talking with the local folk for a handful of hours in order to identify possible problems they might have and act accordingly.

Either way, it is certainly an important issue, and I would not be opposed to an amendment to solve it if needed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 12:51:30 AM »

Preventing a problem is always preferred, but if we struggled with identifying existing problems, doing so with problems that are yet to develop seems even more difficult.

I would be in favor of such a study but to be more specific, when it comes to what I meant by "where to deploy the resources" it is not just a question of physically where, but who as well. We can provide resources to people but that requires them taking the initiative to seek that out.

Remember also that stigma plays a big role in this, because the mere act of seeking treatment carries with it a sort of "outing oneself" and that carries with it social consequences, which can in turn lead to depression on top of the original mental difficulties. One of the reasons why I asked about cell phone acquisition is because of the importance of being able to at the very least seek out assistance discretely without having to use a public phone or something like that. Of course that is the easier privacy burden so to speak to accomplish, the harder one is how you go about delivering assistance and how you balance discretion in that process.

One would imagine that as a part of the job requires a lot of moving around, which leaves them dependent both on their employers and on each other, but this also minimizes the ability to discreetly seek out and acquire counseling or therapy or some other kind of treatment.

Even with all that, I am a realist, I don't think we can fix all of these problems here within the scope of this bill, but my objective is to make sure that we are thinking along these lines of how do we 1. get treatment within reach, 2. get to a sweet spot where people are willing to seek out and utilize those resources when needed and finally 3. What role does family/community play in that process, when does it discourage seeking help and when is it the last barrier separating the possibility of seeking care from some form of bad outcome?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 01:58:35 AM »

On Wednesday, NBC news I think did a story on farm suicides. It caught my attention since we are discussing this bill but with the Hurricane and such I wasn't able to comment on it. They talked about the issue I discussed a few days ago, namely the difficulty in convincing people to seek out help and removing the barriers, discouraging factors that hinder that seeking of help. I think that is where a lot of our efforts have to be focused, beyond just providing resources to ensure they are utilized.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 12:13:34 PM »

Is there a reason that rather than funding 1 suicide hotline we need to create a brand new redundant one just for farmers? Its not a dating website.  Doesn't seem like much benefit in creating a mental health helpline for ONLY farmers ... like do stressed family members get helped? If so why, if not are they at least referred to a different hotline?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 09:05:22 AM »

On Wednesday, NBC news I think did a story on farm suicides. It caught my attention since we are discussing this bill but with the Hurricane and such I wasn't able to comment on it. They talked about the issue I discussed a few days ago, namely the difficulty in convincing people to seek out help and removing the barriers, discouraging factors that hinder that seeking of help. I think that is where a lot of our efforts have to be focused, beyond just providing resources to ensure they are utilized.

Any chance that story is somewhere in the internet and can be found? It could be a valuable resource when discussing this bill.

Is there a reason that rather than funding 1 suicide hotline we need to create a brand new redundant one just for farmers? Its not a dating website.  Doesn't seem like much benefit in creating a mental health helpline for ONLY farmers ... like do stressed family members get helped? If so why, if not are they at least referred to a different hotline?

Yeah, you are probably right. Probably a better course of action would be to fund rural suicide hotlines as a whole (or even just all suicide hotlines), not just for farmers.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 09:08:38 AM »

I introduce the following amendment to try and answer Mr. R's concerns, turning it into a more general bill focused on rural areas (with an increase to funding to compensate)

A BILL
To establish a farm and ranch stress assistance network

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in Congress assembled,
Assistance to Rural Farm Stress Assistance Act

SECTION 1. FINDINGS.
Congress finds the following
1. Agricultural work continues to be highly stressful, characterized by uncertainty, and subject to changing market conditions, the unpredictable nature of weather, and other factors beyond the control of agricultural producers
2. Individuals working in agriculture have the highest overall suicide rate among all occupations
3. Access to behavioral health care is often limited among individuals working in agriculture due to time and geographical constraints
4. Agricultural workers are in need of specialized behavioral health programs that are affordable, available as needed, and carried out with understanding of concerns specific to agricultural work

SECTION 2. FARM AND RANCH STRESS ASSISTANCE NETWORKS.

(a) State Networks.—
(1) Grants.—The Secretary of Internal Affairs shall establish a program providing competitive grants to State departments of agriculture, State cooperative extension services, and nonprofit organizations.
(2) Eligibility.—Eligibility for competitive grants provided under paragraph (1) shall only be provided in which the purpose of which is to establish a farm and ranch rural stress assistance network to provide stress assistance programs to affected individuals, including counseling and support through—
 (A) farm telephone helplines and internet websites
 (B) training for advocates for affected individuals and other individuals or entities that may assist affected individuals in crises
 (C) support groups
 (D) outreach services and activities
 (E) home delivery of assistance
(3) Use of Funds.—A competitive grant provided under this subsection may be used to enter into a contract with a community-based, direct-service organization to initiate, expand, or maintain an eligible cooperative program in the State.

(b) National Network.—
(1) Establishment.—The Secretary of Internal Affairs shall establish a National Farm and Ranch Rural Stress Assistance Network to coordinate stress assistance programs on a national scale for affected individuals
(2) Director.—The Secretary of Internal Affairs shall appoint an individual in the Department of Agriculture to be the Director of the national network.

(c) Authorization Of Appropriations
1. There is authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of Internal Affairs, to carry out activities through the national network and State networks, $15,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2019 through 2023.

SECTION 3. REPORTS TO CONGRESS.
(a) Report.—
(1) In General.—One year after the enactment of this act, a report describing the state of behavioral and mental health in farmers and ranchers shall be submitted to Congress, and made publicly available.
(2) Contents of Report.—The report under paragraph (1) shall include—
 (A) an assessment of efforts made to support the mental health of farmers and ranchers by the federal, state, entities of local government, and communities that are comprised of farmers and ranchers
 (B) a description of challenges faced by farmers and ranchers, including financial, medical, and other challenges, that may impact the mental health of farmers and ranchers
 (C) an evaluation of the impact of farmer and rancher suicides on the agricultural workforce, production, and rural families

People's Regional Senate
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 10:38:36 AM »

Any chance that story is somewhere in the internet and can be found? It could be a valuable resource when discussing this bill.

Yeah, you are probably right. Probably a better course of action would be to fund rural suicide hotlines as a whole (or even just all suicide hotlines), not just for farmers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/mental-health/suicide-rates-are-rising-especially-rural-america-n1050806
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 10:39:04 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 11:27:38 AM »

The amendment is adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 09:30:05 AM »

Have you had a chance to review the article and such?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »

Yeah, though after reading it, while it works great as a justification for why this bill needs to be passed, I can't think of anything to add to the bill beyond what is already there. Maybe I am missing something though.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 11:37:50 AM »

So final vote in that case?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 04:41:28 PM »

Motion for a final vote
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 10:06:41 AM »

A final vote is now open on this bill, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »

Aye
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix