Haunting message fron indigenous Amazonian.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:34:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Haunting message fron indigenous Amazonian.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Haunting message fron indigenous Amazonian.  (Read 2098 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2019, 05:37:30 AM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/ajplus/status/1164618238325477376

"Evangelicals are coming into our land to divide our people, erase our culture and now they want to take our souls."
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »

I don't think you'll find too many people around here defending Brazilian evangelicalism. Many of the predominately Pentecostal practices there are barely even Christianity any more.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »

I don't think you'll find too many people around here defending Brazilian evangelicalism.

It's worth being aware of even if none of us are going to defend it.

I don't know enough about Latin America to know how much truth there is to the idea that the spread of Evangelicalism in the region started with Nixon-era psyops, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 03:01:52 PM »

I've said before Brazil needs its version of the Krassenstein brothers. It also needs its version of the emergent church. Emergent Christianity needs to spread there and displace the pretty messed up current evangelicalism there.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »

Amazonian: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"

Evangelist: "No, not if you did not know."

Amazonian: "Then why did you tell me?"
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:28:11 AM »

The evangelist's answer would be wrong (or at the very least, extremely presumptuous).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 06:11:00 AM »

The evangelist's answer would be wrong (or at the very least, extremely presumptuous).

This
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 11:13:54 AM »

further proof religion is just a scam for money
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 09:06:37 PM »

Yeah, the "man on the remote island" is one of the biggest theological debates evangelicals will get into among ourselves.  Others are (since we do believe in a literal creation) whether that was over seven days as we see it or whether time can be different in the eyes of God and whether Hell is conscious eternal torment or an eternal separation from God- and whether that is the same as annihilation.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 01:54:01 PM »

I don't think you'll find too many people around here defending Brazilian evangelicalism. Many of the predominately Pentecostal practices there are barely even Christianity any more.
Have you seen Latin American or Irish Catholicism?  Polytheism is supposed to be a grave sin.  Identifying individuals as saints and building monuments and shrines and parades for them and praying to them while recognizing a higher god is no different than the Greeks or Romans with their cults....over time the ‘saints’ or people of great renown become their own deity with their own specialty that provides extra favor if you ask them specifically instead of calling Jupiter General

Burying a statue in your yard to increase your house’s value via divine intervention...Or flailing around like an idiot crying and babbling like a toddler with all the grown up parts of the brain shut down in the middle of the Amazon to save the savage soul...

Makes no difference to me. 
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »

Haunting. Brazilian evangelism is...frightening.

I think other interesting theological quandary is what happened to great and virtuous men of antiquity born before Christ.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 06:14:12 AM »

Haunting. Brazilian evangelism is...frightening.

I think other interesting theological quandary is what happened to great and virtuous men of antiquity born before Christ.

“Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone."
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »

Can I get a tl;dr on this pachamama stuff?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 04:08:26 PM »

It's complicated. When trying to find out more about it, what pained me is the online tradcaths actually reveling in it because;

OUR LADY THE VIRGIN MARY BLESSED QUEEN OF HEAVEN IS THE ONLY...

So I'm going to wait for other reporting.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »

It's complicated. When trying to find out more about it, what pained me is the online tradcaths actually reveling in it because;

OUR LADY THE VIRGIN MARY BLESSED QUEEN OF HEAVEN IS THE ONLY...

So I'm going to wait for other reporting.

I've been looking into the subject for a Catholic blogging site I write for. The tl;dr is that Pope Francis was presented with a pair of statues that according to the people who presented them were Marian representations. The anti-Francis sectors of Extremely Online Catholicism latched onto the idea that the statues were in fact of a hitherto obscure (outside South America) Incan earth goddess called Pachamama, which was difficult to disprove because "pachamama" is also the common term for "Mother Earth" in some of the relevant languages. The Vatican, because the Dicastery for Communications and everybody in it are incompetent duds for reasons best known to itself, keeps insisting that the statues are generic fertility and/or pro-life symbols that aren't supposed to be religious representations at all, and finally things got to the point where people from the Extremely Online trad constellation physically stole the statues and threw them into the River Tiber. Because evil actions can never be undertaken even to a good end, unless the actions are theft and vandalism and the end is taking a stand against FRANCISCHURCH BERGOGLIAN ANTICHRISTIC INDIFFERENTIST MODERNIST SYNCRETIST HERESY IDOLATRY
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 02:06:22 PM »

...people from the Extremely Online trad constellation physically stole the statues and threw them into the River Tiber

Wouldn't this technically mean they made some kind of offering with them? Hah.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2019, 04:20:06 PM by The love that set me free »

The indigenous beliefs of the Amazon are ultimately wrong. Jesus Christ is the way, not those false pagan beliefs and one shouldn't be concerned about that going extinct anymore than they are about people not worshiping Jupiter, Zeus or Odin today.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »

The indigenous beliefs of the Amazon are stupid. Jesus Christ is the way, not the false waterfall gods or whatever the f[inks] they worship and one shouldn't be concerned about that going extinct anymore than they are about people not worshiping Jupiter, Zeus or Odin today.

Well there goes a years worth of built up good will.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »

The indigenous beliefs of the Amazon are stupid. Jesus Christ is the way, not the false waterfall gods or whatever the f[inks] they worship and one shouldn't be concerned about that going extinct anymore than they are about people not worshiping Jupiter, Zeus or Odin today.

Yeah. What an utterly disgusting post.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »

Can one be a Christian and fundamentally disagree? And is the death of Norse and Hellenic paganism tragic?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 03:59:23 PM »

Can one be a Christian and fundamentally disagree? And is the death of Norse and Hellenic paganism tragic?

So as a Christian, you are supportive of the destruction of other faiths, and the iconography of those faiths because their beliefs are 'stupid'? (as opposed to the entirely non superstitious and rational New Testament where absolutely nothing strange and unusual is claimed.)

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2019, 04:19:16 PM »

So as a Christian, you are supportive of the destruction of other faiths, and the iconography of those faiths because their beliefs are 'stupid'? (as opposed to the entirely non superstitious and rational New Testament where absolutely nothing strange and unusual is claimed.)
Destruction of faiths in the sense that they should abandon them for Christ, yes.

Iconography, no, it still has a place in museums or preserved historic sites.

It's not so much that their beliefs are "stupid" as that if you're a Christian there's no way to not believe that they're wrong. Hence I'll edit that post.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »

One of the great strengths of Christianity, and right from the beginning as well, has been its ability to absorb local spirituality and traditions into its overarching structure.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2019, 11:10:37 PM »

One of the great strengths of Christianity, and right from the beginning as well, has been its ability to absorb local spirituality and traditions into its overarching structure.

Yes, and to see someone who fancies himself as liberal-minded above all else side with the likes of Jair Bolsonaro, Athanasius Schneider, and Regina magazine over against this observation is deeply dismaying.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2019, 02:47:56 PM by Georg Ebner »

By abolishing celibacy the Church has lost her last hope to be saved by faithful young priests in the first world.

But more important than the death of HIS Mystical Body - being catholic means, that You have to suffer a lot - is that pseudoPaganism, in reality it's not a polyTheism, it's a monism&communism, a vulgarROUSSEAUIsm or vulgarAnacreonticicm - in the tradition of the Nazis, by the way - of decadent&tired Europeans, who want to hole up as soon as possible in "Mother Nature" (=Leviathan).
"You have to know one thing: Already the 'Primitives' are not nature-beings, but culture-beings." (LeviStrauss)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies