Ford 1976 - Carter 1980 counties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:37:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ford 1976 - Carter 1980 counties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ford 1976 - Carter 1980 counties  (Read 662 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2019, 01:30:13 AM »

Were there any?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:24:41 AM »

Yes, but not many

AK: A few boroughs in the rural west
ME: Cumberland
MI: Washtenaw, Marquette
NY: Niagara, Monroe
VT Chittenden, Grand Isle
vileplume
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:32:40 AM »

Yes, but not many

There were a number in Mississippi too: Franklin, Grenada, Marion, Yazoo. Clarke went from a Ford win in 76' to a tie in 80'.

Ford overperformed in Mississippi compared to most of the rest of the South which was solidly for Carter. Any idea why this was?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:09:30 AM »

Yes, but not many

There were a number in Mississippi too: Franklin, Grenada, Marion, Yazoo. Clarke went from a Ford win in 76' to a tie in 80'.

Ford overperformed in Mississippi compared to most of the rest of the South which was solidly for Carter. Any idea why this was?

Mississippi was the most hostile state towards civil rights, and they may have associated the national Democratic Party with civil rights to the extent that even the Georgia redneck had trouble winning Mississippi whites back. 

I'm guessing that black turnout in Mississippi increased in 1980, causing many counties to swing toward Carter.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »

Yes, but not many

MS has the highest % of blacks in the country. Ford was a liberal Republican and a strong supporter of civil rights. Carter 1976 was not as trusted due to being the governor of a deep south state. Ford got 16% of the black vote that year.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 05:29:45 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2019, 05:36:24 PM by TDAS04 »

Yes, but not many

MS has the highest % of blacks in the country. Ford was a liberal Republican and a strong supporter of civil rights. Carter 1976 was not as trusted due to being the governor of a deep south state. Ford got 16% of the black vote that year.

That being the reason for Ford coming close to carrying Mississippi makes no sense.  Think about it.

Ford getting 16% of the black vote was not bad for a Republican, but Carter still got over 80% of blacks.  That would mathematically mean the blacker the state, the greater Carter’s advantage was demographically.  Assuming that blacks were not disenfranchised is Mississippi like they had been pre-VRA, Ford clearly and decisively won the white vote in Mississippi.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies