FT 13.04 – Kansan Liberty Resolution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:18:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 13.04 – Kansan Liberty Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 13.04 – Kansan Liberty Resolution (Passed)  (Read 409 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2019, 05:09:03 PM »
« edited: September 09, 2019, 01:31:04 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN ACT
to recognize the cause of Kansan liberty

Section 1 (Title)
i. The long title of this Resolution shall be, the "John Brown—Kansan Liberty Resolution." It may be cited as the "Kansan Liberty Resolution."

Section 2 (Preamble)
WHEREAS, one hundred sixty years ago the people of Kansas waged a hard and bloody war for independence from the despotic dominion of border ruffians and the Southern slave power;

WHEREAS, in light of this history, the continued rule of the State of Kansas by the so-called Southern Region is injurious and contemptible;

WHEREAS, the late action of the Chamber of Delegates, by which the battle flag of the traitorous so-called "Army of Northern Virginia" is to be raised over Kansas, is equally contemptible;

WHEREAS, the referendum which informed the act of the Chamber of Delegates was ill-conceived and ill-ordered, the people having been denied the right to vote on all proposed designs for the flag;

WHEREAS, in any case the rebel flag flying above Kansas is an unacceptable outcome;

Section 3 (Resolution)
RESOLVED, the Parliament of Frémont do propose the "John Brown Flag" as the flag of Free Kansas, for the use of those who desire a uniquely Kansan and irredentist banner;
FURTHER RESOLVED, the design of the flag shall be: "nine horizontal stripes, alternating buff and red, forming a rectangle 2:3 in proportion; a blue canton, and in it twenty buff stars to represent the twenty free states who stood in solidarity with Kansas in her hour of need."

Appendix

Sponsor: Harry S Truman, Speaker

The member from North Dakota has the floor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »

The story of Kansas' struggle against the dominion of Southern tyrants is written in the blood of the brave patriots who gave their lives for the freedom of the West. In time, we may hope that Kansas will be liberated from her Southern occupiers and delivered to the communion of Frémont; but that day is not today. This resolution would not change Kansas' constitutional relationship with either region under the Fourth Constitution, but merely recognize the validity of the historical symbol of Kansan resistance: a banner for all people, regardless of party affiliation, who struggle for liberty and against oppression.

I do not anticipate this being a popular sentiment in this chamber, but that is no reason not to try.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 05:44:03 PM »

This resolution has my total and wholehearted support. As we have seen time and time again the Southern Government has totally and wholeheartedly ignored the heritage of all of its constituent states when considering regional symbolism.
And on a more serious note there is a severe population and activity imbalance between the regions, and this imbalance should be rectified to ensure all regions have a stable player base. Which is why, in addition to Kansas, I would be strongly and wholeheartedly in favour of steps towards incorporating not only Kansas but also Oklahoma, Missouri and Wisconsin. This would lead to a more even activity divide between the regions, and foster greater electoral competitiveness in both the South and Fremont.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 10:14:37 PM »

I am, on principle, opposed to measures which have the potential to intimidate or compromise our relationship with our neighbors.  I also believe that the territorial integrity of all regions, as defined by our Constitution, ought to be preserved.  That is why I led the fight against Alaskan independence in January, that is why I recently condemned a new proposal for Lincoln to annex Minnesota and Iowa, and that is why I will be opposing this bill.  While the bill does not direct government or military efforts to annex Kansas, at best it will threaten relations between Frémont and the South that have since been mended as a result of the Trade War.  As far as I am concerned, no meaningful change can come of this except heightened tensions between the regions.

It is my firm belief that Atlasia works best when our regions work together in cooperation, rather than economic or political competition.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 10:55:48 AM »

To respectfully disagree, I believe our regions are made stronger by healthy competition. A strong identity begets a stronger Commonwealth: and the identity of Frémont as a home for all Westerners is inexorably tied to the liberty of Kansas. This is not to say that Frémont should adopt violent or illegal means to press her case; yet the solidarity of the Western people is the very thing which allowed our Commonwealth to weather the crises recalled by the first minister. Respect for the Constitution should not mean that we neglect to assert our rights where the Constitution is in error. If that were so, slavery should yet stain the majesty of our republic, the Radicals should have triumphed in 2015, and all the struggle of the last four years had been a dream undreamt for fear of the future. As Kansas learned in 1856, so we must recall today: a peace purchased at the price of silence is no true peace.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 11:52:28 AM »

Mind you, it was a Kansan who led the charge to keep the rebel flag from flying over the Southern Region.

Motion to table.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 12:26:19 PM »

Mind you, it was a Kansan who led the charge to keep the rebel flag from flying over the Southern Region.
How true, indeed. Kansans are already beginning to feel the yoke of Southern oppression and assert their rights, even if some are not yet ready to embrace their destiny within the Frémontian Commonwealth. Wink
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 04:25:07 PM »

Given the circumstances, I have doubts as to whether it is wise to antagonize the Southern region at this time. However, Fremont is proportionately underpopulated, it's unclear the strategic registration wave just hasn't arrived in Fremont yet and this issue will soon be rectified or whether Fremont does legitimately need to expand. That is a valid discussion to have, though it doesn't have to be that Kansas is the state Fremont expands into, but ideally an update of the regional boundaries would serve Atlasia well imo.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 09:03:48 PM »

This resolution has my total and wholehearted support. As we have seen time and time again the Southern Government has totally and wholeheartedly ignored the heritage of all of its constituent states when considering regional symbolism.
And on a more serious note there is a severe population and activity imbalance between the regions, and this imbalance should be rectified to ensure all regions have a stable player base. Which is why, in addition to Kansas, I would be strongly and wholeheartedly in favour of steps towards incorporating not only Kansas but also Oklahoma, Missouri and Wisconsin. This would lead to a more even activity divide between the regions, and foster greater electoral competitiveness in both the South and Fremont.

No, Fremont does not need Wisconsin
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:10:26 PM »

I move for a final vote on this wonderful resolution.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 09:13:01 PM »

I am, on principle, opposed to measures which have the potential to intimidate or compromise our relationship with our neighbors.  I also believe that the territorial integrity of all regions, as defined by our Constitution, ought to be preserved.  That is why I led the fight against Alaskan independence in January, that is why I recently condemned a new proposal for Lincoln to annex Minnesota and Iowa, and that is why I will be opposing this bill.  While the bill does not direct government or military efforts to annex Kansas, at best it will threaten relations between Frémont and the South that have since been mended as a result of the Trade War.  As far as I am concerned, no meaningful change can come of this except heightened tensions between the regions.

It is my firm belief that Atlasia works best when our regions work together in cooperation, rather than economic or political competition.

all this resolution is recognise a different flag as the flag of Kansas. The president did literally the same thing with his executive order recognising the black lives matter flag as the flag of the south.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 10:17:32 PM »

Seeing no objection, we proceed to a vote. Members will vote Aye, Nay, or abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all members have voted.

Aye.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 10:19:54 PM »

AYE!!!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 04:34:22 AM »

Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 08:30:17 AM »

Nay.
raymundoflx
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »

Aye
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »

all this resolution is recognise a different flag as the flag of Kansas. The president did literally the same thing with his executive order recognising the black lives matter flag as the flag of the south.

I think the point is that is a stupid and pointless thing to do. Its the same as the South voting that Fremont's official tree is different from whatever Fremont itself says. Like, what? That's not how things work. Your "recognition" is worth as much as used toilet paper on this matter. Hey, while your at it, why not vote to recognize a new pope or to recognize St. Petersburg as the capital of Russia or to recognize December 25th as Independence Day for Australia? It has the same value.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 01:30:48 PM »

With four votes in favor and one opposed, the resolution carries.

Hey, while your at it, why not vote to recognize a new pope or to recognize St. Petersburg as the capital of Russia or to recognize December 25th as Independence Day for Australia? It has the same value.
All excellent ideas, especially declaring a Frémontian antipope!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 03:06:41 PM »

I'm not sure if I can sign or veto this resolution as resolutions passed by Parliament are usually not legally-binding (which this bill isn't as it does not officially designate the Flag of Kansas; it merely proposes one).
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »

I'm not sure if I can sign or veto this resolution as resolutions passed by Parliament are usually not legally-binding (which this bill isn't as it does not officially designate the Flag of Kansas; it merely proposes one).
I don't think resolutions have ever required the FM's signature.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies