What if... Harding doesnt die.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:17:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What if... Harding doesnt die.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if... Harding doesnt die.  (Read 1210 times)
kashifsakhan
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:03:16 AM »

what would have happened if Warren Harding had not die in office? would he have been able to defeat John Davis in 1924? Would John Davis have run for office in 1924 with Harding and Coolidge on the Republican ticket? What would ahve been the same, what would ahve been different? Discuss.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 12:26:20 PM »

Harding's scandal (Tea Pot Dome) would have broken in 1923, and Harding would have been a weakended incumbent. The RNC drops him due to his failing health and scandal tarred image for Commerce Secretary Herbert Hoover, pair him with former Governor of Maine Charles A. Miliken, and they defeat the "stronger" Democratic ticket of John J. McAdoo and Oscar Underwood.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 03:48:26 PM »

He would have been impeached.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 09:43:20 PM »

Not with the Republicans in Controll of Congress.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 10:16:22 PM »

I doubt if there was real connection between him and the scandal.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 09:11:53 AM »

I doubt if there was real connection between him and the scandal.

i think he was, i dont havce alot of indepth knowledge in the area, but as far as i gather, didnt he sell government owned land in the Tea Pot Dome area? if he did, i think that would connect him with the scandal.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 03:25:13 PM »

Harding was a relatively weak President, although personally honest, while he allowed his administration to descend into corruptioin and scandal.

He was a rather obscure politician when he was chosen by the Republican bosses as a compromise candidate in 1920 during a deadlocked nominating convention.

Had he lived longer, my view is that in all likelihood he would not be re-nominated, due to his corrupt regime.  Calivn Coolidge would still have been the likely Republican nominee, going on to defeat John Davis in1924.

If Harding did manage to get nominated and had run again in 1924, however, in all likelihood he would have been re-elected as well, as in 1924 the country was pleased with the direction the country was headed.  The Republican campaign would likely have emphasized the fact that they had cleaned house.  I would think the Democrats would still have nominated John Davis.

It would just have made it easier for the Republicans to have Coolidge as the nominee in 1924 rather than Harding, but they win the election either way, but a bigger win with Coolidge.           

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies