Opinion of this Bible "translation"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:07:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of this Bible "translation"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of this Bible "translation"
Freedom Translation

Horrible Translation

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Opinion of this Bible "translation"  (Read 3031 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »

Please tell me if this makes sense.

In Judaism, "God" is not a physical human. He/she is pure spirit, as I understand the tradition.
"God" (unlike Jesus) has never been seen with a human eye, therefore. Are "God" and "he" merely arbitrary ways to refer to this unseen spirit?

Also, the Hebrew word which is translated "THE LORD" refers to Jehovah, not to Jesus (in Judaism). This is because, from the way I understand it, Jews have traditionally not been allowed to speak this name (Jehovah), because to do so was considered bad because the name was too holy to say out loud.
The word "lord" also implies maleness, and perhaps? more so than Jehovah, since Jehovah was not seen as a physical being.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 02:42:47 PM »

Yep, it's NRSV. Voted FT b/c I like the NRSV & don't really care about the pronoun-switching — it's intentionally provocative, sure, but honestly not a big deal.

This woman is an Episcopal priest by the way. Is she abnormal or pretty standard?
Depends on where you're at. Using she/her (She/Her?) to refer to God is something you'd just never see done in Southwest Florida, and it's not something I've encountered in Chicago. Snodgrass, however, is a priest in the Diocese of Newark, which has always been one of the most radical dioceses in the Church — on gay & female inclusion in the priesthood, on virtually everything John Shelby Spong has ever said, and so on. I'd call it abnormal for the Episcopal Church I know, but probably not unusual in Newark.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies