Mideast Labor Code Initiative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:17:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Labor Code Initiative
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Labor Code Initiative  (Read 1236 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2005, 09:54:48 PM »
« edited: December 18, 2005, 02:24:50 AM by Dean »

Here we go...

Section 1: The Mideast Minimum Wage Statute is hearby repealed.

Section 2: All paid jobs in the service and manufacturing sector will have a minimum wage defined as follows:
a) $5.50 per hour indexed to annual inflation for the first 500 hours of paid work a person may perform in their lifespan
b) $6.20 per hour indexed to annual inflation after the first 500 hours of paid work a person may perform in their lifespan
c) Organizations that are not listed as a Non-Profit Organization with a revenue of less than $40,000 in the previous fiscal year indexed to annual inflation shall be exempted from parts a and b.

Section 3: A work week shall be defined as 40 hours of paid work within a seven-day period. Additionally, employees may receive, but are not obliged to receive, extra salary for paid work exceeding the work week:
a) Up to 50% more than their regular wage for the 40th to 50th working hour of the week.
b) Up to 100% more than their regular wage exceeding the 50th working hour of the week.
c) Parts a and b shall not apply for all administrative positions.

Section 4: All occupational work must be conducted in safety conditions that are acceptably safe. A Workplace Safety Commision (WSC) shall be established to oversee safety commissions and set reasonable standards. Additionally, the WSC shall be granted the following powers:
a) To randomly inspect, with unfettered access, the safety conditions of all workplaces.
b) To order steps to be taken to improve safety standards for employers that do not adequately meet standards.
c) To punish employers who consistently fail to abide by safety standards, including but not limited to fines, confiscations and closure.

Section 5: Any employee who is injured while performing occupational work shall have any medical expenses covered by the employer.

Section 6: The immediate relatives of any employee who is killed while performing occupational work shall be compensated no less than $15,000, indexed to annual inflation, by the employer. Businesses with a revenue of less than $500,000 in the previous fiscal year, indexed to annual inflation, and not-for-profit groups, may produce compensation through annual installments.

Section 7: No employer may dismiss any employee who refuses to work in conditions perceived to be unsafe and who immediately notifies supervising personnel.

Section 8: This Statute shall take effect the first day of the month after it is approved by referendum.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 03:27:10 PM »

It's not my region, but that's a labour code?
Shocked
A code normally takes hundreds of pages.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 06:50:46 PM »

Why doesn't the Mideast combine all its initiatives into a single thread?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 10:02:22 PM »

X Frodo
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 03:59:20 AM »

Why doesn't the Mideast combine all its initiatives into a single thread?

Becuase they have so few initiatives it doesn't make sense, unlike our thread of Southeastern goodness.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 10:31:09 AM »

It's not my region, but that's a labour code?
Shocked
A code normally takes hundreds of pages.

If you've ever actually read a Labour code you will know that the vast majority is bureaucratic pedantry that serves simply to enforce the 2% of the code that is actual regulation. I see no reason why we should need to codify the bureaucracy when all it will do is turn people off from voting because nobody wants to trawl through War & Peace when voting.

The initiative is generally very well written; Did you take this from some real life source or is it your own work?

I think the $6.20 minimum wage is a little high and if this passes I will probably try to amend it back towards $6, but that being my only significant complaint I see no reason to deny this either ballot status or my support.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 06:30:55 AM »

X Akno21
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 06:53:42 AM »

X <----Al "Mr Sleepy Bear" Realpolitik His Mark