Gwinnett and Cobb County In 1968 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:45:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Gwinnett and Cobb County In 1968 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gwinnett and Cobb County In 1968  (Read 665 times)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« on: September 04, 2019, 09:11:46 PM »
« edited: September 04, 2019, 09:26:05 PM by North Fulton Swing »

The city of Atlanta is closer to Cobb County than Gwinnett and with the white flight of the 1960s, much of that population would have migrated in that direction.    I would think that Cobb "suburbanized" before Gwinnett--which is why in 1968, Cobb went for Nixon and Gwinnett followed most of rural Georgia by supporting Wallace.

Cobb has been the more affluent and "snobby" of the two counties.  People love to tell how they live in East Cobb.  

The leadership in Cobb has a much more business oriented mentality as well--whereas Gwinnett has lagged until recently.  An example--I have seen how I-75 and I-285 (in Cobb) is top level real estate with high rise buildings and shopping (and now where the Braves play).  On the other hand, I-85/I-285 ("Spaghetti Junction"--in Gwinnett and North DeKalb) is seedy with little or no growth in the past 25 years.    But things are changing rapidly with the diverse population coming into metro Atlanta.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies