SENATE CONFIRMATION THREAD: Pericles for Vice President (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:59:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE CONFIRMATION THREAD: Pericles for Vice President (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE CONFIRMATION THREAD: Pericles for Vice President (Confirmed)  (Read 887 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2019, 02:59:43 AM »
« edited: September 09, 2019, 01:14:31 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: GRIFF-007
Pericles is nominated to the role of Vice President.

So we have a problem, we have no Vice President right as the sessions is getting underway, so we need to move as fast as possible.

Therefore to facilitate, and seeing that Pericles has substantial experience that qualifies him for this position, I would hope that we can expedite this as much as possible. So we will start with opening statements, and a quick round of questioning.

I motion to waive the rules and proceed to a final vote within 24 hours of Pericles' opening statement, Senators have 24 hours to object.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 03:02:08 AM »

Whatever happened to right-wing obstructionism?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 03:23:19 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2019, 03:28:28 AM by Speaker YE »

We kind of need a VP as fast as possible with the session getting started and the need for a noticeboard Tongue

Ofc, there’d be no hearing if it wasn’t for Truman pointing out when I got nominated that a confirmation hearing wasn’t required for VP confirmation at reset and us passing an amendment as a result.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 03:46:47 AM »

We kind of need a VP as fast as possible with the session getting started and the need for a noticeboard Tongue

Ofc, there’d be no hearing if it wasn’t for Truman pointing out when I got nominated that a confirmation hearing wasn’t required for VP confirmation at reset and us passing an amendment as a result.

Times like this are when we need Senator Fhtagn!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 04:07:37 AM »

Thank you very much Senator Yankee.

So, I have served twice in this esteemed body and both times actively contributed to the debate here. I have also served multiple terms in the Fremont regional parliament. Additionally, the experience that probably most qualifies me for this position is my term as Speaker of the House. During that time, I helped the 13th Congress be the most productive, by far, in terms of bills passed into law, and effectively facilitated the progression of Congress. A key part of achieving this, as I believe Yankee can testify to, was that I collaborated well and worked effectively with the other players who helped run Congress-President Yankee, Vice President dfwlibertylover, PPT Reactionary and even my Deputy Speaker fhtagn. The 13th Congress was probably the most challenging experience in congressional leadership possible, due to the sheer volume of bills up for debate, but I think we had strong debate in that Congress and we did the very best we could do. I have consistently done my best and shown a high standard of activity in the offices I have held, and have worked effectively with others and across party lines to do so. This experience qualifies me well for the vice-presidency, and I am confident that, whatever challenges this role has, I will be able to work through, overcome them, and make the coming Congress (and hopefully the two beyond that Wink ) as successful as possible.

I'm happy to answer questions that Senators have for me, if there are anything. I do appreciate that Senator Yankee wants to expedite proceedings, as the noticeboard does need to be updated and, if confirmed, I will find it easier if there isn't an even longer delay that I need to account for and update.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 07:23:21 AM »

No objection from me. Pericles will be an excellent VP.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »

What an absolutely outstanding candidate! Pericles has been great.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »

What the does one gain by delaying the VP confirmation by at most 2 or 3 days? He has the votes to be confirmed with or without me. There is no even divide in the Senate or House, there is no pending policy that is so outrageous and for which a confirmed VP is essential to its passage or wouldn't pass without him.

All Delaying the VP would do is delay the noticeboard being posted by a few days and leave the Congress without a Vice President during the most critical time for such, the start of the new Congress.

I see no tangible benefits from this course of action, and furthermore it risks calls for removing the bicameral system and the Vice Presidency from existence, both of which I have been very vocal in defending and preserving through competent administration.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »

What the does one gain by delaying the VP confirmation by at most 2 or 3 days? He has the votes to be confirmed with or without me. There is no even divide in the Senate or House, there is no pending policy that is so outrageous and for which a confirmed VP is essential to its passage or wouldn't pass without him.

All Delaying the VP would do is delay the noticeboard being posted by a few days and leave the Congress without a Vice President during the most critical time for such, the start of the new Congress.

I see no tangible benefits from this course of action, and furthermore it risks calls for removing the bicameral system and the Vice Presidency from existence, both of which I have been very vocal in defending and preserving through competent administration.

Because Labor is evil, Pericles is evil, and Griffin is evil Tongue
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 07:19:58 PM »

I really need to put sarcasm disclaimers on my posts, because you Americans just can't take a hint.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »

I really need to put sarcasm disclaimers on my posts, because you Americans just can't take a hint.
Why don't you take your sense of humor back to the prison colony where it came from. Wink
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 09:18:35 PM »

It was pretty clear to me.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 04:21:07 AM »

Seeing no objection and time having expired on the motion, a final vote is now open on this confirmation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 04:22:51 AM »

AYE
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 05:58:26 AM »

Aye
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »

Aye
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 01:14:17 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2019, 09:42:07 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Pericles typically comes on during the mid morning hours here on the east coast and since I have the votes to end this I think it best to do so, thus allowing him to get started when he comes on.

Vote on Confirmation of Pericles to be Vice President:

Aye (5): Devout Centrist, NC Yankee, OntarioProgressive, PyrotheFox and Tack50
Nay (0):
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):
Vacant Seats (1): Vern1988

The nominee has been confirmed.

If Pyro comes on and votes relatively soon, I will edit the results since they don't effect the outcome and this was closed so quickly.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 01:16:19 AM »

Thank you very much for a swift confirmation and for your support for my nomination.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 02:14:34 AM »

Pyro is MIA tonight (hence why he voted in Lincoln early).
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »

Aye! (ftr)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies