SENATE BILL: The ACE Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:25:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The ACE Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The ACE Act (Passed)  (Read 925 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2019, 06:15:43 PM »
« edited: October 03, 2019, 12:10:49 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL

To encourage the growth of worker-owned enterprises

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in Congress assembled,

Section I: Recognition

1. We, the elected representatives of Atlasia, recognize that the working class first and foremost generates the wealth that propels our society forward. We stand alongside all laborers in the pursuit of economic justice.

2. In recognition that worker-owned and cooperative enterprises constitute the best possible arrangement for the workers of Atlasia, we resolve to encourage the growth of these organizations above for-profit corporate enterprise.

Section II: Definitions

1. Cooperative: A cooperative, or co-op, is a type of business or organization that is both controlled and owned by its members, who may also utilize the goods and services of the cooperative.

2. Worker-Owned Enterprise: Also known as an employee-owned enterprise (EO), this is a company in which the workers have a stake in ownership and/or may be 100% owned and operated by said workers.

Section III: ACE

1. The Agency of Cooperative Enterprises, or ACE, is established.

a. This shall be an agency of the Federal Government of Atlasia stationed with the task to assist in the economic viability, recovery and persistence of cooperative and worker-owned enterprises. It shall aid, counsel and protect, insofar as is possible, the interests of cooperative and worker-owned enterprise concerns.

b. The agency shall be led by an Administrator and Deputy Administrator as appointed by the President.

i. Administrative Associates shall be appointed by the Administrator.

2. The Administrator shall lead an agency-wide research effort within the first 120 days of this act's passage to

a. Consider opportunities for relevant existing federal programs to support the growth of cooperative and employee-owned enterprises.

b. Develop relationships with relevant existing federal agencies, included yet not limited to the Small Business Administration and Minority Business Development Agency, with the purpose to foster the development of cooperative and employee-owned enterprises.

c. Publish an indexed report on its findings for public access.

3. ACE shall establish the EO Project.

a. This shall be a directive, as led by the Administrator, to invest in the gradual process of transitioning existing small businesses to cooperative and employee-owned enterprises.

b. ACE shall establish an EO Transition Promotion Program to offer educational resources, training, and assistance to qualified small businesses.

4. ACE shall be empowered to provide loans to cooperative and worker-owned enterprises.

a. The Administrator shall have the authority to direct and conduct oversight for the methods by which lenders determine the details of the business loan.

i. The Administrator may not guarantee a loan if the lender determines that the borrower

ii. The Administrator must verify the applicant's criminal background, or lack thereof, through the best available means.

iii. No loans shall be made if the total amount outstanding would exceed $5 million.

b. The Administrator shall oversee a Loan Guarantee Program.

i. The Loan Guarantee Program shall provide capital to cooperative and worker-owned enterprises to help start or expand their businesses.

ii. Loans issues through this program shall not exceed $5 million.

c. The Administrator shall oversee a Disaster Loan Program.

i. The Disaster Loan Program shall provide zero-interest loans to cooperative and worker-owned enterprises to help repair or rebuild damaged property to its condition pre-disaster.

d. The Administrator shall oversee a Microloan Program.

i. The Microloan Program shall provide direct loans to cooperative and worker-owned enterprises with a total net worth below $5 million.

ii. Loans issues through this program shall not exceed $50,000.

Section IV: Appropriations

1. The Agency of Cooperative Enterprises shall receive an annual fiscal budget of $1,000,000,000.

Section V: Enactment

1. This act takes effect on November 1st, 2020.

People's Regional Senate

Sponsor: PyroTheFox
Senate Designation: SB20:01
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 06:20:38 PM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence an advocacy and all other members shall have 48 hours to respond.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »

Very simply, the passage of this legislation would provide worker-owned small businesses access to various funding programs and resources which will grow existing entities and create more jobs. Not unlike the SBA, the services granted through this bill will, through the methods outlined in this bill, allow for a new generation of local American enterprise. This will not only grow the economy, but it will seek to democratize it to the benefit of the working class.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 01:16:41 PM »

Are co-ops somehow excluded from current programs or is this just an extra welfare bill in addition to existing ones?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 03:28:51 PM »

Are co-ops somehow excluded from current programs or is this just an extra welfare bill in addition to existing ones?

It is noted in this bill that the Agency of Cooperative Enterprises would work alongside the SBA and other federal agencies to develop solutions that serve to benefit co-ops and EOs. There is no legislation that specifically supports these types of businesses and as far as I am aware there is no ongoing initiative within these existing organizations to do so.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »

Excellent bill that will propel the growth of cooperative businesses owned by the workers themselves!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 01:36:11 AM »

4.a.i seems incomplete from my reading, did something get cut off on that line? What is being determined about the borrower?

Also the game mechanics of this need to be considered. What is playable and not? Is this report something that has to be generated or reviewed by the GM or not? etc
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 08:44:56 AM »

I put forward the following amendment.

SENATE BILL

1. We, the elected representatives of Atlasia, recognize that the working class first and foremost generates the wealth that propels our society forward. We stand alongside all laborers in the pursuit of economic justice.

2. In recognition that worker-owned and cooperative enterprises constitute the best possible arrangement for the workers of Atlasia, we resolve to encourage the growth of these organizations above for-profit corporate enterprise.

1. Cooperative: A cooperative, or co-op, is a type of business or organization that is both controlled and owned by its members, who may also utilize the goods and services of the cooperative.

2. Worker-Owned Enterprise: Also known as an employee-owned enterprise (EO), this is a company in which the workers have a stake in ownership and/or may be 100% owned and operated by said workers.

a. This shall be an agency of the Federal Government of Atlasia stationed with the task to assist in the economic viability, recovery and persistence of cooperative and worker-owned enterprises. It shall aid, counsel and protect, insofar as is possible, the interests of cooperative and worker-owned enterprise concerns.

b. The agency shall be led by an Administrator and Deputy Administrator as appointed by the President.

ii. These roles shall be NPCs.

2. The Administrator shall lead an agency-wide research effort within the first 120 days of this act's passage to

a. Consider opportunities for relevant existing federal programs to support the growth of cooperative and employee-owned enterprises.

b. Develop relationships with relevant existing federal agencies, included yet not limited to the Small Business Administration and Minority Business Development Agency, with the purpose to foster the development of cooperative and employee-owned enterprises.

a. This shall be a directive, as led by the Administrator, to invest in the gradual process of transitioning existing small businesses to cooperative and employee-owned enterprises.

b. ACE shall establish an EO Transition Promotion Program to offer educational resources, training, and assistance to qualified small businesses.

4. ACE shall be empowered to provide loans to cooperative and worker-owned enterprises.

a. The Administrator shall have the authority to direct and conduct oversight for the methods by which lenders determine the details of the business loan.

i. The Administrator may not guarantee a loan if the lender determines that the borrower is not eligible to receive the specified loan.

ii. The Administrator must verify the applicant's criminal background, or lack thereof, through the best available means.

iii. No loans shall be made if the total amount outstanding would exceed $5 million.

i. The Loan Guarantee Program shall provide capital to cooperative and worker-owned enterprises to help start or expand their businesses.

i. The Disaster Loan Program shall provide zero-interest loans to cooperative and worker-owned enterprises to help repair or rebuild damaged property to its condition pre-disaster.

i. The Microloan Program shall provide direct loans to cooperative and worker-owned enterprises with a total net worth below $5 million.

1. The Agency of Cooperative Enterprises shall receive an annual fiscal budget of $1,000,000,000.

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 08:46:14 AM »

4.a.i seems incomplete from my reading, did something get cut off on that line? What is being determined about the borrower?

Also the game mechanics of this need to be considered. What is playable and not? Is this report something that has to be generated or reviewed by the GM or not? etc

See the amendment I proposed.
The report is not something that has to be generated/reviewed by the GM.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 11:26:23 AM »

The amendment is adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 09:27:30 AM »

Should the administrator be subordinate to the Department of Internal Affairs? (or any successor department thereof)
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »

Should the administrator be subordinate to the Department of Internal Affairs? (or any successor department thereof)

No, I believe that it should act as its own entity similar to the SBA.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »

I motion for a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 11:33:09 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »

A Final vote is now open on this bill, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 10:15:55 AM »

Aye
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »

Aye
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »

Aye!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »

Abstain b/c of lack of funding
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »

Vote on final Passage of the ACE Act:

Aye (3): Devout Centrist, Pyro and Tack50
Nay (0):
Abstain (1): NC Yankee

Didn't Vote (2): Ontario and TPH

This bill has passed.

The reason I counted my abstention was to get to a quorum.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »

Quote from: Final Senate Text
SENATE BILL

ii. These roles shall be NPCs.

i. The Administrator may not guarantee a loan if the lender determines that the borrower is not eligible to receive the specified loan.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 3-0-1 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies