Gwinnett and Cobb County In 1968
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:30:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Gwinnett and Cobb County In 1968
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gwinnett and Cobb County In 1968  (Read 636 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2019, 07:52:45 PM »

Since at least 1912 both Gwinnett and Cobb have voted the same way with the exception of 1968 . So why did they vote differently in 68 and why did Gwinnett vote for Wallace while Cobb didn’t given the results of both counties in 1964
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:56:03 PM »

In the 60s Cobb was becoming suburbanized while Gwinett was still primarily mountain rural.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:11:46 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2019, 09:26:05 PM by North Fulton Swing »

The city of Atlanta is closer to Cobb County than Gwinnett and with the white flight of the 1960s, much of that population would have migrated in that direction.    I would think that Cobb "suburbanized" before Gwinnett--which is why in 1968, Cobb went for Nixon and Gwinnett followed most of rural Georgia by supporting Wallace.

Cobb has been the more affluent and "snobby" of the two counties.  People love to tell how they live in East Cobb.  

The leadership in Cobb has a much more business oriented mentality as well--whereas Gwinnett has lagged until recently.  An example--I have seen how I-75 and I-285 (in Cobb) is top level real estate with high rise buildings and shopping (and now where the Braves play).  On the other hand, I-85/I-285 ("Spaghetti Junction"--in Gwinnett and North DeKalb) is seedy with little or no growth in the past 25 years.    But things are changing rapidly with the diverse population coming into metro Atlanta.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 05:12:28 PM »

Cobb is more affluent and less diverse than Gwinnett. It's why Hillary and Abrams did better in the latter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies