Primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:56:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Primaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Primaries  (Read 3467 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2004, 12:07:15 AM »

Why do Iowa and New Hampshire have so much influence? Granted they are the first, but can't the larger states, who send by far more delegates (and Iowa is just a caucus), vote for a candidate who DIDN'T win in Iowa or New Hampshire?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 10:21:04 AM »

Why do Iowa and New Hampshire have so much influence? Granted they are the first, but can't the larger states, who send by far more delegates (and Iowa is just a caucus), vote for a candidate who DIDN'T win in Iowa or New Hampshire?

Thank you! That's what I've been trying to hint at for a long time...

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Everyone knows that Dean wins if he wins Iowa and NH, so when he does, he does, b/c people know that the others are toast. It's stupid in my view, but that's politics for you. (I was gonna say "American politics", but I decided to be nice...) Wink
jravnsbo

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 11:12:17 AM »

It started out in tradition after the party bosses at the convention gave up picking.  IA was chosen for Midwest, heartland mindset and NH for NE.  Thent he South has jumped from GA and SC.  

Then Jimmy CArter came along and won IA and it propelled him out of no where to wards the nomination and then rest as they say is history Smiley

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies