Saddam: "Americans tortured me"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:41:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Saddam: "Americans tortured me"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Saddam: "Americans tortured me"  (Read 3432 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 11:45:08 AM »

LOL. Sleep deprivation is torture? What a joke you Europeans are.

If you force a person to go a week or longer without any sleep whatsoever, the person can and eventually will literally go crazy.  It might seem silly at face value, but very extended sleep deprivation (i.e., days upon days, not just a few hours), I think, could certainly be counted as a form of psychological torture.

Way different from the kind of sleep deprivation we typically think of.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 08:13:51 PM »

'No evidence' Saddam was tortured

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4551656.stm
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 08:38:38 PM »

Why am I not surprised...?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 09:01:59 PM »

I'm sure the whole thing is a lie.  Saddam knows he has nothing to lose by making up a story, and potentially a lot to gain.  He probably hoped that it would create a media firestorm in the US and cause great embarrassment to the Bush administration.  But it seems that not even liberals here really believed the story, or cared much about it.  Poor Saddam.  Another one of his little schemes failed.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 09:35:57 PM »

LOL. Sleep deprivation is torture? What a joke you Europeans are.

If you force a person to go a week or longer without any sleep whatsoever, the person can and eventually will literally go crazy.  It might seem silly at face value, but very extended sleep deprivation (i.e., days upon days, not just a few hours), I think, could certainly be counted as a form of psychological torture.

Way different from the kind of sleep deprivation we typically think of.

Well, your comment seemed to assert that sleep deprivation was universally not torture; I was saying that it is, if done long enough.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 09:38:39 PM »

I'm sure the whole thing is a lie.  Saddam knows he has nothing to lose by making up a story, and potentially a lot to gain.  He probably hoped that it would create a media firestorm in the US and cause great embarrassment to the Bush administration.  But it seems that not even liberals here really believed the story, or cared much about it.  Poor Saddam.  Another one of his little schemes failed.

Quite frankly, I think that just about any treatment of the guy is justified at this point, given everything he's done.  The issue I've had with torture in the past is the torture of people for information who may very well not know a whole lot, given that the people really have no motivation whatsoever not to simply lie to have the torture stop.  But Saddam?  I won't lose any sleep over this, even if it's true.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies