It's the Economy, Stupid: A 1992 Election Game (Gameplay thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:28:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  It's the Economy, Stupid: A 1992 Election Game (Gameplay thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's the Economy, Stupid: A 1992 Election Game (Gameplay thread)  (Read 750 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »
« edited: September 19, 2019, 09:36:19 AM by GoTfan »

Turn 1: August 1-31, 1991

1992 campaign season begins!

While President Bush is, as expected, unopposed in the Republican primaries, a surprisingly large field of Democrats are suspected to be launching bids this year, ranging from northeastern liberals like New York governor Mario Cuomo (the current frontrunner), to westerners like former California governor Jerry Brown, with a wide range of candidates from all ideological areas of the Democratic Party

President George Bush's approval rating
Approve: 88%
Disapprove: 8%
Unsure: 4%

Democratic Party Primary Poll

Gov. Mario Cuomo: 21. 4%
Sen. Al Gore: 17. 9%
Fmr. Gov. Jerry Brown: 16.1 %
Fmr. Sen. Paul Tsongas: 13.2%
Sen. Tom Harkin: 10.1%
Sen. Max Baucus: 6.9%
Gov. Ann Richards: 4.2%
Fmr. Rep. Geraldine Ferraro: 1.4%

8.4% undecided

Warsaw Pact dissolved!

[Image credit: Wikimedia Commons]

It was announced in July that the Warsaw Pact, after 36 years of existence and brinkmanship with NATO, was formally dissolved. Mikhail Gorbachev, whose continued liberal reforms in the Soviet Union threaten to incur the wrath of old-school hardliners, has also been under continued fire in the Soviet press, with calls growing for him to step down.

Notes:

-This turn will span the month of August 1991. It will last 72 hours, mainly to secure the conintued interest of all players.

-As with all games, I only require a schedule; it does not matter to me how many speeches or ads you generate.

-There will be a Democratic Primary debate this turn. We have about 3 general questions and one candiate specific question each.

Good luck everyone!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 08:08:02 PM »

First Democratic primary debate

Moderator:Tom Brokaw, NBC

Date: August 17, 1991

Brokaw: Hello and welcome to the first debate of the race for the 1992 Democratic Presidential nomination. I'm your moderator, Tom Brokaw. The rules of tonight's debate are as follow: each candidate will make an opening and closing statement and in between, will be asked a series of questions and given one minute to respond. Another candidate may offer a rebuttal of 30 seconds. I will also ask our audience to hold their applause until the very end. The exception to this last rule is now as our candidates take the stage.

Please welcome Governor Mario Cuomo of New York, Senator Al Gore of Tennessee, Former Governor Jerry Brown of California, Former Senator Paul Tsongas of Massachussetts, Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa, Senator Max Baucus of Montana, Governor Ann Richards of Texas, and Former Congresswoman Geraldine Ferraro of New York.

Without further ado, let us begin.

General questions:

1) "The Democratic Party has not won a Presidential election since 1976, and has suffered three heavy defeats in a row. What is your plan to return the Democratic party to the White House?"

2) "President Bush's approval rating is currently at 88% following the success of US forces in the Gulf War. Can such a strong incumbent be beaten?"

3) "The Soviet Union is considered to be on the verge of breaking up with the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact in July. What would be your policy with regards to not just the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact, but the potential breakup of America's Cold War rival?"

Candidate questions:

-"Governor Cuomo, you're considered the frontrunner at this stage, but many pundits are skeptical that nominating a second northeastern liberal in as many elections is the correct path to winning the White House in 1992, and point out that last Democratic electoral victory came at the hands of a southern moderate. Do you believe that continued liberalism can win in 1992?"

-"Senator Gore, you are the youngest candidate in the field at 43 years of age. What is your response to voters who think that your youth may be a hurdle to a potential Gore presidency?"

-Governor Brown, this is your third attempt at the presidency, and you have been out of office for 8 years. Some have even said that your period out of office may have made you lose touch with the electorate. What is your response?

-"Senator Tsongas, you're known as having a socially liberal yet fiscally conservative voting record. What is your repsonse to Democrats who are wary of your fiscal conservatism?

-"Senator Harkin, you are being described as the most liberal candidate in the race. Is this a viable path to the White House, given that liberal candidates have been defeated decisively in the last two elections?

-"Senator Baucus, you are considered to be the most conservative Democrat on stage tonight. Are you too conservative for the Democratic Party?

-"Governor Richards, you have barely served seven and a half months as Governor of Texas, and there are whispers that you were never intent on fully doing your duty to the people of Texas. How do you respond to these accusations?"

-"Congresswoman Ferraro, you were Vice President Mondale's running mate during President Reagan's landslide victory in 1984. How do you plan to separate yourself from the disaster of 1984?"

Brokaw: Thank you for your time, candidates, and thank you to everyone watching both here and at home. Good night.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 02:37:06 PM »

President Bush'92
August 1991 Schedule

August 1st to 15th, 1991: Washington D.C.

August 1st, 1991:
Washington D.C: Fundraisers with Governor George Voinovich and Vice-President Dan Quayle for RNC
Washington D.C.: Presidential Duties

August 2nd to 12th, 1991:

August 13th, 1991:
Washington D.C.: Speech to Georgetown University Students

August 14th and 15th, 1991:

August 16th to 17th, 1991: Louisiana

August 16th, 1991:
Baton Rouge, LA: Speech endorsing Governor Buddy Roemer for reelection
Eunice, LA: Bussiness roundtable with small businesses owners

August 17th, 1991:
Lafayette, LA: Speech to University of Louisiana students
Lafayette, LA: Meet and Greet with University of Louisiana Republican students

August 18th, 1991: Washington D.C.

August 18th, 1991:
Washington D.C.: Fundraiser for Governor Buddy Roemer
Washington D.C.: Fundraiser for Virginia Republican Party

August 18th and 19th, 1991: Virginia

August 18th, 1991:
Fairfax, VA: Unity Rally alongside Virginia Delegate Candidates
Norfolk, VA: Meet and Greet with Virginia State Republican party officials

August 19th, 1991:
Virginia Beach, VA: Meet and Greet with Veterans of the Gulf War

August 20th to 29th, 1991: Washington D.C.

August 20th to 29th, 1991:

August 30th, 1991: Iowa

August 30th, 1991:
Des Moines, IA: Bussiness roundtable
Ames, IA: Meet and Greet with POW Veterans

August 31st, 1991: Mississippi

August 31st, 1991:
Jackson, MS: Endorsement speech for Kirk Fordice for Governor

Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 02:51:58 PM »

Quote from: Tom Brokaw
The Democratic Party has not won a Presidential election since 1976, and has suffered three heavy defeats in a row. What is your plan to return the Democratic party to the White House?

This is a very fine question, Mr. Brokaw. I must answer that question with a question : Have you seen a Democratic Nominee from a red state? No, you haven't, not after Jimmy Carter. The short answer is we've been tapping people from the Northeast and Midwest who the Republican has unfortunately able to pin as Elite and Out of Touch. We must get back to our more agricultural and small state routes if we look to win this election. We must choose a candidate who is from a state that is Republican in Presidential election for years in order to bring more people to our side. We can't just appease the Liberals of the Party and of the Nation, as that will only give us a fraction of what we need to win. We need to build a coalition of all stripes between disaffected Republicans, Moderate Independents, and Liberal Democrats. By building such a coalition, we can effectively challenge the President and retake the White House. And for that to be possible, we must choose a moderate, someone like myself.

President Bush's approval rating is currently at 88% following the success of US forces in the Gulf War. Can such a strong incumbent be beaten?

Mr. Brokaw, this is the definition of a foolish question. Whenever there has been a major war and a major victory, there was always a rally around the flag effect for the President and this time is no different. As I have stated in my announcement speech, the recession that began last year and only ended a few months ago is only going to get worse unless we do something right now! This will eat away at his approval rating and soon he will fall down to an acceptable level and not be such a strong incumbent as he seems. The short is basically, yes, yes he can be beaten.

The Soviet Union is considered to be on the verge of breaking up with the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact in July. What would be your policy with regards to not just the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact, but the potential breakup of America's Cold War rival?

I think we should not do anything ourselves, Mr. Brokaw. We should just let this happen. It is a great thing, a wonderful thing, that the Cold War is finally over and the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact is in the Process of being ended but we cannot choose the destiny of these nations for our own doing. After so many years of being at the whim of a foreign power, they should get the right to choose their own destiny and honestly, who can argue with that idea?

Senator Baucus, you are considered to be the most conservative Democrat on stage tonight. Are you too conservative for the Democratic Party?

I am personally offended by this question. You fail to realize that beyond liberal and moderate democrats, there are also conservative democrats as well, democrats who you just insulted and insinuated about not being true Democrats. The Democratic Party has wings as any party,I am part of the Moderate, or as you call it, "Conservative", wing. To have someone like myself on this stage is a testament as to how the Democratic Party is a Big Tent Party and this allows anyone of any standing ideology to be within the party. Am I too conservative for the Democratic Party? If that is the case, then is Governor Brown too liberal for the Party? What of Senator Gore? Is he too much of a moderate for the party? The answer to them is no, no they aren't and neither am I.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 03:27:20 PM »

Brown For ‘92
August ‘91 Schedule

August 1st to 15th, 1991: New Hampshire, Maine, and Iowa.
For the first two weeks of August, the Brown campaign will first establish several field offices in New Hampshire. Governor Brown will campaign in every county and establish field operations in Nashua, Manchester, and Lebanon. Field operatives will be instructed to hire volunteers and canvass after the first Democratic Debate.

During this time, Governor Brown will also visit the state of Maine and establish one field office in Portland, contingent on campaign funding. Public appearances at diners and other public places will occur in Augusta, Portland, and Bangor. He will spend approximately three days in the state.

Finally, the last few days of these first two weeks will be devoted to Iowa and South Dakota. Governor Brown will visit Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and Council Bluffs on his first trip. Campaign staff will be warned against investing too much in the state, as Mr. Harkin looks likely to win the caucus next year.

South Dakota will be the last state to be visited by Governor Brown. He will tour Rapid City and Pierre in his initial visit. Preliminary field staff will start working in Rapid City on the 14th of August. Governor Brown will make an appearance at a local charity event on the 15th of August.

During this period, Governor Brown will establish and advertise an 800 number for small dollar donations. That number is 1-800-426-1112. Flyers and pamphlets will advertise the number to encourage a wider audience to donate. Staff and necessary accommodations will be made to make sure the number will be active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

August 16th to 31st: Building Infrastructure
For the next two weeks, Governor Brown will focus on New Hampshire and other early primary states, including South Carolina, Nevada, and Minnesota. He will tour New England, visiting Connecticut and Vermont as well.

Mr. Brown will focus on building a grassroots field operation with volunteers at this time. Additionally, Brown will wait after each campaign rally to talk to any voter that has questions about his policies or his vision of America. The 1-800 number will be advertised as widely as possible

Brown will hold several rallies in Nashua, New Haven, Minneapolis, and Las Vegas. He will also meet with representatives of the Culinary Union in Las Vegas and discuss collective bargaining rights with their membership at a public hearing on the 31st.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »

Max Baucus spends August 1-17th in New Hampshire and then spends August 18th-21st in the Senate before campaigning for the rest of the month in South Dakota, using his message and his planned points to boost him.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »

Tsongas for President
Tsongas Debate answers

Opening Statement

Hello, I'm Paul Tsongas, I was a United States Senator from Massachustes, there used to be a strong middle class in America. We need to have Labor, and management work together not against each other to build a stronger American working, and middle class. In this campaign, we're going to go to where the people are, we're going to talk about the issues people want to hear about, and we're going to win this primary and defeat President Bush in November.

1) "The Democratic Party has not won a Presidential election since 1976 and has suffered three heavy defeats in a row. What is your plan to return the Democratic party to the White House?"

Those three defeats have shown us, that America has changed. We are no longer the party of Franklin Roosevelt or Hubert Humphrey, we need to pass the torch to the new generation of Americans, and the new generation of Democrats because in 1984 the old guard of our party was defeated, and it proved that we cannot be a party, that is Pro-Jobs, but anti-Business. We cannot be anti-corporation, but pro-worker. Back home in Lowell, I saw the textile industry die, and thousands of jobs leave my hometown, why? Because of the anti-jobs legislation that is pushed through Washington every year, We should be the jobs party, because we can't be Pro-Worker and Anti-Business at the same time. Everything we hope to do depends on an expanding economic pie. And only a vibrant, competitive, thriving private sector can create that. Government is a necessary partner, but it is the junior partner. Only the private sector can produce the revenues for the social programs that we Democrats care so much about. The financing of those programs through ever more public debt violates our generation's responsibility.

2) "President Bush's approval rating is currently at 88% following the success of US forces in the Gulf War. Can such a strong incumbent be beaten?"

Of course, he himself described it as voodoo economics, but that hasn't stopped him from taking the mantle of President Reagan, under 4 more years of Bush, we'll see 4 more years of larger government, larger deficits, and fewer solutions for our nation's problems. I'm going, to say it now, He has failed middle America, he has failed not those on the left or right, but Americans. At the Republican National Convention, he said "Read my lips, no new taxes", but then he raises taxes if a President raises taxes when he says he won't how can we expect to trust him. I'm here to build a consensus of Americans, a consensus that we need to balance the budget because of the simple fact we can't pass this burden on to our children, and our children's children. I stand here today not offering the easy-solutions but offering the hard facts that our nation and our people need to confront this specter.

3) "The Soviet Union is considered to be on the verge of breaking up with the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact in July. What would be your policy with regards to not just the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact, but the potential breakup of America's Cold War rival?"

We need to ensure that any soviet bloc collapse, ensures that the nuclear weapons held by the Soviet Union, or her allies are secure and not put in the arms of ultra-nationalists, terrorists, or other groups.  The real question is, with the collapse of the Soviet Union, what argument can be made to reelect President Bush? The people elected him because of his strong foreign policy knowhow, but with the collapse of our greatest adversary what argument can be made for the President any longer in his reelection.

Closing Statement

Tonight, we have proven that raising taxes on middle America does nothing, but drive our jobs overseas. With the collapse of the warsaw pact, President Bush and the GOP can say the Cold war is over, but I say the cold war is over, and Japan has won, because thousands of Americans are losing their jobs today, and in the coming months thousands more will be lost to those countries around the world. I ask you to reject higher taxes, reject lost jobs, and accept Paul Tsongas as the Democratic Nominee for President, and to be the next President of the United States.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »

1) "The Democratic Party has not won a Presidential election since 1976, and has suffered three heavy defeats in a row. What is your plan to return the Democratic party to the White House?"

I think it’s clear that we have failed, as a Party, to make our case to the American people. The voters of this country want to see a safe and prosperous vision of the future. The Democratic Party has the ideas needed to get to that future; we just need to communicate that vision to the people of this country.

That being said, I’m running a campaign that puts people first. We’re getting donations from everyday, working and middle class Americans. I’m fully funded by the people of this country. Our ideas are centered around helping working people. My hope is to unify the people of this country around the need for change. We live in a great nation, the wealthiest country on this earth. No family should have to languish in poverty or take two shifts to achieve the American Dream. I am running my campaign to bring safety and prosperity back to the working people of this country.

Tom, I wouldn’t be running if I didn’t think we could win this race! President Bush has been commended for his actions in the Gulf and in Kuwait, perhaps rightly so. But there are serious issues at home that he hasn’t addressed. Workers paychecks are shrinking. Thousands are being laid off every week. Working Americans are suffering from the high cost of medicine and education. If President Bush doesn’t address their concerns soon, he won’t be reelected next year.

We’re entering a new age in international affairs. The Cold War is officially over. Nations across the world are turning towards democracy in peaceful revolutions driven by the people. We live in truly extraordinary times and I believe that requires extraordinary leadership from us.

We must allow the people of Europe and the Soviet Union to engage in self determination. It should be them who decide their future. In our role as the United States of America, we should work to establish peaceful and fruitful relations with these new nations. It’s also important to help former communist nations transition their economies in the coming years. I support a new Marshall Plan to help these former communist countries rebuild their economies and fully enter the global community. We must help the Soviet Union transition to democracy in the coming years and I am the man to help them do just that.

-Governor Brown, this is your third attempt at the presidency, and you have been out of office for 8 years. Some have even said that your period out of office may have made you lose touch with the electorate. What is your response?

I think it had the opposite effect, Tom. Y’know, when you’re on Capitol Hill for 4, 8, 12 years, you really lose your touch with the people of this country. For eight years, I have been outside of the political arena. During that time, I have been able to connect with the people of this country, free from the corrosive influence of money in politics. I’ve had to run my home and maintain a budget the same as any other family would; being outside of politics has been a blessing. I’m returning to politics because our country deserves that kind of leadership in their President.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 04:33:27 PM »

Ralph Nader schedule

August 1-3: Campaign in Connecticut
August 4-7: Tour California with Tupac Shakur and campaign for Local Greens
August 8-11: Meet with Autoworkers in Michigan about Protectionism
August 12-14: Campaign in Washington DC on Statehood and how a Green Administration would focus on Statehood and campaign for the DC Statehood Greens.
August 15-17: Campaign in New York on Gun Control
August 17-23: Campaign in Iowa, South Dakota and Montana about helping farmers with Government Programs
August 23-25: Tour Pennsylvania on Labor issues
August 25-27: Campaign in Massachusetts
August 28-30: Campaign in Rhode Island
August 31: Campaign in Washington DC
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »

Tom Harkin Campaign Schedule-August

August 1-2: Establishment of campaign headquarters in Des Moines and hiring of key staff

August 3-6: Barnstorming across Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin with Senator Wellstone

August 7-12: Barnstorming and fundraising in New York and New Hampshire.

August 13-20: Senate work

August 21: Rally in Chicago where the endorsement of Senator Paul Simon is announced

Excerpt from Simon's speech: "Senator Harkin has always been a champion of the liberal ideas that America needs now more than ever. I am proud to endorse his candidacy."

August 22-24: Campaigning in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts

August 25: Rally in St. Louis, where the endorsement of House Majority Leader Dick Gephardt is announced.

Excerpt from Gephardt's speech: America needs a President who will stand up for the working class, for the ordinary American. Senator Harkin is the only candidate who will do that, and I am proud to support for candidacy for the Presidency!"

August 26-29: Campaigning in Missouri, Minnesota, and South Dakota

August 30-31: Senate work
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 09:06:27 PM »

Tom Harkin Debate Answers

1: “My plan is to return the Democratic Party to the roots that made us great: Strong support for labor, strong support for the environment, and strong support for civil rights. That is what the Democratic Party such a strong force in the past and that is what will make us a strong force in the future.

2: “President Bush may be a strong incumbent now, but the election is over a year away. A lot can happen in that one year, and the President has yet to justify his economic policies to the nation. Unemployment has risen. The deficit has increased, yet the President hasn’t explained to the nation how he intends to address these serious issues.

3: “The first priority has to be making sure the Soviet stockpiles of nuclear weapons are secure and not at risk of falling into the hands of a third party. Safely securing their nuclear weapons is absolutely essential to the freedom and security of the now free states emerging in Eastern Europe. Once that is accomplished, then we can work to bring the new Eastern European states into the fold of NATO and the EU.

4: “To put it simply, yes it is. A liberal is capable of winning the White House with the right message to the American people. We have seen this before and we will see again next year.”
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies