2020 Poll Hype Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:48:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Poll Hype Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 99
Author Topic: 2020 Poll Hype Thread  (Read 192625 times)
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: February 01, 2020, 09:38:16 PM »

From what I've read it seems like the poll was especially poor for Buttigieg so his campaign convinced them to cancel it.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2020, 09:38:25 PM »

They were already leaked. My prediction turned out to be 100% right! I will now accept my accolades.
lol. Really a shame they are throwing out the poll though, considering it was probably a one-off issue.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2020, 09:38:50 PM »

From what I've read it seems like the poll was especially poor for Buttigieg so his campaign convinced them to cancel it.
(Citation Needed)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2020, 09:41:09 PM »

This really highlights a glaring weakness for Buttigieg I haven't see anyone mention yet all cycle. His name is hard to pronounce. Voters like a candidate with a smooth, silky name that just rolls off the tongue like Trump, Sanders, Biden or Warren. Buttigieg? No. Unfair, but true.

tbf Klobuchar might have similar issues as well....

It's really easy to "mispronounce candidate names", but let's face it---- it's not like any of these Democrats really have similar names....

I guess if you are older and hearing impaired you might have a hard time between Bernie and Biden for Christs sake.....

Nah. Klobuchar isnt really hard to pronounce. I've yet to hear a television host or radio broadcaster mispronounce her name. On the other hand, I still hear multiple pronunciations of Buttigieg on a daily basis.

I actually don't know whether it's tchar or ssshar, or klob-a-char vs klob-you-char.  I've heard both.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #329 on: February 01, 2020, 09:41:41 PM »

Does anyone seriously believe that an independent pollster would not release a poll because they are somehow trying to harm a candidate? Polls don't decide the actual results of an election and I'm not even sure they effect turnout. Some of the responses to this poll being canceled are legitimately crazy.
Hollywood
« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »

So Bernie increased lead and Pete was below viability? Something tells me this poll would have been released if it was better for the establishment.

No S###.  I've been saying it for two months now that Bernie's support would be much greater than the polls have shown.  Many of the polls had clear biases against very liberal, independent and young voters.  All of them had started increasing the number of young, liberal and first-time caucus goers.    

I'm literally losing my mind right now so don't take offense to the "no s###" comment.  I just feel vindicated.  I know how CNN works.  
indietraveler

« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2020, 09:42:19 PM »

where did it leak or are you all just trolling? also links?

seems like if the calls were recorded they could go back and find out how big the issue really was. though i think if it was that easy they would be able to say?
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #332 on: February 01, 2020, 09:42:31 PM »

(Citation Needed)

A lot of people are saying this.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #333 on: February 01, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »

where did it leak or are you all just trolling? also links?

seems like if the calls were recorded they could go back and find out how big the issue really was. though i think if it was that easy they would be able to say?

It's 80% trolling and 20% people lying to try to create a false narrative.

Nobody actually knows what the results are.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #334 on: February 01, 2020, 09:44:09 PM »

Does anyone seriously believe that an independent pollster would not release a poll because they are somehow trying to harm a candidate? Polls don't decide the actual results of an election and I'm not even sure they effect turnout. Some of the responses to this poll being canceled are legitimately crazy.

Thank you.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #335 on: February 01, 2020, 09:44:09 PM »

(Citation Needed)

OK, who? An example, perhaps, lol?
Hollywood
« Reply #336 on: February 01, 2020, 09:44:21 PM »

(Citation Needed)

Stop.  It was bad for all establishment candidates, and CNN is literally promoting Bloomberg tonight.  This was probably an incredible poll for Sanders.    
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #337 on: February 01, 2020, 09:45:48 PM »

Polls normally don't have much of an influence on an election, but this is the Iowa DMR poll. If there is any exception to that it is definitely this. Voters do say that they look at that to figure out who is viable. So not releasing it is pretty damaging to whoever was doing well in the poll. My guess is they probably had Buttigieg losing support to Klobuchar, with Bernie ahead and Buttigieg below viability.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #338 on: February 01, 2020, 09:46:35 PM »

Someone screwed up the candidate list, and it seems to have left people off the list, and it may not have just affected Pete.
Hollywood
« Reply #339 on: February 01, 2020, 09:47:09 PM »

Thank you.

No.  This is CNN.  The poll was bad for establishment candidates so they junked the poll.  CNN just didn't want to give free promotion to Bernie Sanders.  
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #340 on: February 01, 2020, 09:49:13 PM »

Thank you.

No.  This is CNN.  The poll was bad for establishment candidates so they junked the poll.  CNN just didn't want to give free promotion to Bernie Sanders.  

Just stop.
Hollywood
« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2020, 09:50:25 PM »

Someone screwed up the candidate list, and it seems to have left people off the list, and it may not have just affected Pete.

Grynbaum is a warhawk, establishment Biden supporter.  
https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1178390034128523265?lang=en

This is not about Buttigieg.  This about Biden.  Biden is getting a$$ kicked by Sanders.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2020, 09:51:48 PM »

At least the chaos is entertaining.
Hollywood
« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2020, 09:53:09 PM »

Thank you.

Just stop.

No.  Release the poll.  Stop citing establishment warhawks.  CNN not releasing the poll makes sense.  The DNC is trying to cheat Sanders with rule changes, and CNN is once again cheating Sanders supporters by not releasing the poll.  They need to be transparent.  Show us the results.  They hyped it all day and now they just suddenly decided not release the results.  It's frig'n fraud.  Maybe you're comfortable with it, but I am not.  
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2020, 09:53:29 PM »

The fact that the whole thing was cancelled makes me think leaving off Buttigieg in one call was not an isolated incident (maybe someone screwed up and left his name off the script for the VI question), and this was the only way they could damage control.

That could be, but if so they should say so.

They need to be totally transparent about this if they want anyone to trust them in the future (or now).
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #345 on: February 01, 2020, 09:54:19 PM »

Thank you.

Just stop.

No.  Release the poll.  Stop citing establishment warhawks.  CNN not releasing the poll makes sense.  The DNC is trying to cheat Sanders with rule changes, and CNN is once again cheating Sanders supporters by not releasing the poll.  They need to be transparent.  Show us the results.  They hyped it all day and now they just suddenly decided not release the results.  It's frig'n fraud.  Maybe you're comfortable with it, but I am not.  

Dude, chill.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2020, 09:55:53 PM »

As more details come out, it looks more as though the people conducting the poll must have known that there were serious problems all along - poor training, poor communication, no test calls, and software problems - but only pulled it when the complaint from the Buttigieg campaign made it apparent that these errors were not something they could hide.
This definitely puts a hole into the trust in all polling, especially those considered the "gold standard".
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #347 on: February 01, 2020, 09:57:25 PM »

As more details come out, it looks more as though the people conducting the poll must have known that there were serious problems all along - poor training, poor communication, no test calls, and software problems - but only pulled it when the complaint from the Buttigieg campaign made it apparent that these errors were not something they could hide.
This definitely puts a hole into the trust in all polling, especially those considered the "gold standard".

Tbh I don't really trust any polls for the Iowa caucus, especially this year.
Hollywood
« Reply #348 on: February 01, 2020, 09:58:42 PM »

Too nonchalant.  Sorry not sorry.  

CNN had promoted this for days.  At 9PM they decide to tell us that they aren't releasing the poll.  They lied.  This is par for CNN.  They are an "anybody but Bernie" news stations, so the presumption must be that they are hiding the poll due to the massive Bernie lead.  Now I see on twitter that my perspective is the number one trending topic.  Your welcome.  Again.  Sorry not sorry.  But sorry.  I don't mean to chastise, but I am heated.  All day I was working, and anticipated this poll.  This was my god damn dessert.  Now CNN says I don't get dessert.  And yeah. I had to look up the word dessert cause I kept spelling the word desert (dry places), cause I haven't spelled the word in 15 years.  Sue me Atlas.  Ahhhhhhh humbug.  
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2020, 09:59:23 PM »

Did that operator use Wingdings font?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 99  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies