Predict the Democratic Primaries Round 2: Arkansas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:39:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Predict the Democratic Primaries Round 2: Arkansas
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will win the Arkansas Democratic Primary? Should I change the colors of the map?
Joe Biden

Cory Booker

Pete Buttigieg

Julian Castro

Kamala Harris

Amy Klobuchar

Beto O'Rourke

Bernie Sanders

Elizabeth Warren

Andrew Yang

Other

Yes, change the colors of the map

No, keep the colors the same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Predict the Democratic Primaries Round 2: Arkansas  (Read 650 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:43:24 AM »
« edited: October 01, 2019, 01:44:49 AM by Xing »

Biden
Warren

IA NH NV SC AL AS

The previous polls are still open, so feel free to vote on them if you haven't already. You can also always go back and change your vote, if you’d like. Special thanks to Hades for the map of the territories!

A couple of users have suggested that I change the colors that I'm using for these maps, so in addition to voting for who you think will win Arkansas, also vote on whether or not I should change the colors on the map. If you vote "yes", please specify the color scheme you'd prefer in the comments. If there is a consensus to change the colors, I'll go with whichever color scheme is suggested the most in the comments.

I'll rate Arkansas Safe Biden, since it seems like a pretty bad state for Warren overall. It'll be interesting to see what the margin looks like, though, since Clinton overperformed there in 2008 and 2016 for obvious reasons.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 11:20:14 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2019, 11:34:17 AM by Xing »

Some people seem to be confused. Vote twice. Once for the candidate who will win Arkansas, another time for whether or not I should change the colors of the map (Yes/No at the bottom.) Also, if you vote "yes", write the color scheme you'd like in the comments.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »

Joe Biden

Biden - blue
Warren - orange
Sanders - green
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 11:58:59 AM »

Joe Biden

Biden - blue
Warren - orange
Sanders - green

This but Warren should be red. Orange is Harris' color - I don't know why but I feel it just as much as France is blue and Russia is green.
Horatii
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.50, S: 0.60

P
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »

Warren should be purple or red while Biden should be blue.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2019, 03:29:36 PM by Sorenroy »

Warren should be purple or red while Biden should be blue.

Purple on the Atlas is often used to represent a minor candidate's percentage (at least in the primaries: see literally any primary result page).

I personally am partial to the following color scheme:

Green for Sanders: I think the most obvious color match; Sanders was green in 2016 and is running again. He's still a strong candidate and it even matches with the idea of being more third-party.

Red for Harris: Harris is, to me, the most analogous to Clinton (the candidate who has been red in the past two Democratic cycles). She's the more moderate, female alternative to the main candidates in the race.

Blue for Biden: While Biden was represented as orange in 2008, the last time he ran for president, he dropped out before the Iowa caucus and thus only won votes because he was already on the ballot in a couple of areas. For pro-blue reasons, blue is the Atlas color for Republicans and, while I don't think Biden is a Republican by any stretch, he is pretty clearly the most moderate of the candidates, at least those in the top-tier.

Orange for Buttigieg: Orange is not really all that frequent a color on the Altas. However, it was notability used for Trump in 2016 on the Republican side. While in no way a Trump of the Democratic primary, Buttigieg does represent an insurgent campaign that rose out of nowhere to become, for a time, a top-three figure.

Yellow for O'Rourke: Again, a not super-common Atlas color. And, again, most recently prominently used on the Republican side. O'Rourke, like Cruz, is from Texas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tan for Warren: Running out of colors, I don't think tan has really ever been used in past races. However, with so many candidates, I think Warren is the figure with the least analogues to prior races. As such, Warren gets to have the least analogues color.

Noticeably absent from this list is Yang. This, and Warren being given the color tan (among other details), can probably be chalked up to the fact that I made my color decisions for my own polling project back in late March when Buttigieg was just on the rise, Warren was flat, and Biden hadn't even entered the race. However, unless there are more substantial changes, I think that this color scheme still works fairly well. And I, at least, buy my arguments for why all the colors should be the way I see them.

As for the other question, Arkansas seems to me like a Biden state: Southern, Moderate, and with a sizable black population.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 01:21:16 PM »

Safe Biden, but I think Warren has a solid chance at winning AR-03.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »

Alright, it seems like more posters want me to change the colors rather than keep them the same, and it looks like there's a consensus to use blue for Biden, and green for Sanders (which I was already doing), but let's see if we can get a consensus on whether to use orange, red, or another color for Warren.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 09:18:49 PM »

Biden, but by a smaller margin than the 5 deep south majority black electorate states.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies