Is battleground TX the end of the electoral college?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Is battleground TX the end of the electoral college?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is battleground TX the end of the electoral college?  (Read 2344 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2019, 08:07:09 AM »

Let's say this is your 2024 or 2028 battleground:

The Republicans need to win every single one of those states in gray.

The Democrats need Texas.

And even fronting the GOP Florida, it's still a daunting map. At what point do Republican state legislatures cave and join the popular vote interstate compact?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:27:52 AM »

Yep. If they lose TX, they also lose GA and AZ, and sweeping all of WI/MI/PA and taking NC isn't enough. Even flipping MN/NH/ME is a loss. They would need to sweep all of those states, plus winning a state like IL or RI/CT/DE.
WithLeast
Rookie

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 01:31:53 PM »

I highly doubt it. If the Republicans lose Texas then they will probably just change the national party platform to either appeal more to Texas (and other southern states) or the northeast and forget Texas all together. The Republicans have won without Texas and will likely win again without Texas.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »

I highly doubt it. If the Republicans lose Texas then they will probably just change the national party platform to either appeal more to Texas (and other southern states) or the northeast and forget Texas all together. The Republicans have won without Texas and will likely win again without Texas.

In either case, they can no longer be the Fragile White People's Party, and I will dance and rejoice and start voting for Republicans again.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 08:09:09 PM »

It'll take time for them to win without Texas. They haven't done so since 1968.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 12:54:27 PM »

Also, in 1968 Texas was only 25 EVs. In 2024 it will be 41. WI+MI+PA = 44, making all three of these states basically essential on any victory map.

If you assume blue Texas implies blue AZ (which I think is a fairly safe assumption), you now need to expand the map into states no Republican has won since 1988. In other words, Minnesota becomes a critical state!

But it gets worse. This map, which was a 271-267 GOP victory, is now a 269-269 tie:

Battleground Texas changes everything. The GOP is now between a rock and a hard place, needing to either secure the entire midwest, or throw everything at Texas. The Democrats are playing offense all over the map.

I can't help but interpret this as the Emerging Democratic Majority now made manifest. The GOP will probably keep winning Texas as long as they can win the NPV, but they have managed to to that exactly once in the last six Presidential elections.

I have to think Republicans will be a lot more amenable to scrapping the EC when it no longer gives them an advantage.

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »

That would largely depend on the size of the Latino vote, as well as how large of the Latino vote is consistently going to vote Democratic. Yes, it will be a battleground state, not at all like California or New York -- consistently Democratic.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 07:11:48 PM »

Also, in 1968 Texas was only 25 EVs. In 2024 it will be 41. WI+MI+PA = 44, making all three of these states basically essential on any victory map.

If you assume blue Texas implies blue AZ (which I think is a fairly safe assumption), you now need to expand the map into states no Republican has won since 1988. In other words, Minnesota becomes a critical state!

But it gets worse. This map, which was a 271-267 GOP victory, is now a 269-269 tie:

Battleground Texas changes everything. The GOP is now between a rock and a hard place, needing to either secure the entire midwest, or throw everything at Texas. The Democrats are playing offense all over the map.

I can't help but interpret this as the Emerging Democratic Majority now made manifest. The GOP will probably keep winning Texas as long as they can win the NPV, but they have managed to to that exactly once in the last six Presidential elections.

I have to think Republicans will be a lot more amenable to scrapping the EC when it no longer gives them an advantage.

If TX Goes so does GA which makes that map even worse cause now the GOP will need either IL or NJ
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 09:28:03 PM »

It would be a problem for the GOP at a presidential level for about 12 years until a recalibration but the GOP would have a massive Senate advantage.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 11:13:25 PM »

It would be a problem for the GOP at a presidential level for about 12 years until a recalibration but the GOP would have a massive Senate advantage.

Sorta reverse 80s except with the Senate being the GOP version of the Dems House
538Electoral

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 03:27:39 AM »

Republicans win ME at large on top of all of that and it's 271-267 again. They do have a path without TX. Though OSR has a point that if NC or GA goes Democrat, Republicans would then need to look for an upset somewhere else.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 03:37:58 AM »

Republicans win ME at large on top of all of that and it's 271-267 again. They do have a path without TX. Though OSR has a point that if NC or GA goes Democrat, Republicans would then need to look for an upset somewhere else.

Losing TX for the GOP would result in them basically having an 8-12 year period similar to the Democrats in the 1980s and would be a disaster for conservatives just like the 1980s were for liberals .

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 03:43:28 AM »

Ehh, AOC will save the Texas GOP and by extension, the national Republican Party. Since living in Houston I have realized how much the Texas economy depends on oil and natural gas. Texas was flirting with being the next Virginia but since the 2018 election the GND stuff has gone in overdrive. Just look what has happened to the West Virginia/Appalachia Democrats when the Party declared war on coal. Now imagine a West Virginia x 10 and that's Texas, or could be.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 02:14:16 PM »

Dems with Warren/Beto or Warren/Castro or Biden, can make TX a battleground in 2020
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »

And even fronting the GOP Florida, it's still a daunting map. At what point do Republican state legislatures cave and join the popular vote interstate compact?

Assuming the next election where a Republican wins the popular vote but a Democrat wins the Electoral College is within the foreseeable future and there isn't a gap of 112 years, then. It still may not be enough given that there is resistance to joining the compact from swingy Leans D states like NV and CO; anybody vaguely competitive may try to prevent its adoption.

In other words, not bloody likely.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 09:52:39 PM »

I am bold, Beto has proved himself worthy of being a Veep candidate to Warren and Kennedy campaigned for Beto. WARREN and Biden will carry TX in 2020
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 06:22:37 AM »

Ehh, AOC will save the Texas GOP and by extension, the national Republican Party. Since living in Houston I have realized how much the Texas economy depends on oil and natural gas. Texas was flirting with being the next Virginia but since the 2018 election the GND stuff has gone in overdrive. Just look what has happened to the West Virginia/Appalachia Democrats when the Party declared war on coal. Now imagine a West Virginia x 10 and that's Texas, or could be.

Lol
Suburban Republican
omelott
Israel

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 09:58:00 PM »

Losing TX for the GOP would result in them basically having an 8-12 year period similar to the Democrats in the 1980s and would be a disaster for conservatives just like the 1980s were for liberals .

This basically sums up my thoughts on a (Atlas red) Texas. Aside from solidifying a major change in American politics, it would coincide with Democratic dominance of the executive branch. The Republican Party would be forced to reassess some of its policy decisions, especially those concerning the minority voters who (by the time Texas goes Atlas Red) would overwhelmingy compromise the Texas electorate.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 10:43:17 PM »

Crucial difference being, I don't imagine ~70% of the population is going to tolerate ~30% of the population controlling ~70% of the Senate seats and stymieing their agenda into the 2040's. Rural white trash is going to have to experience a rather brutal lesson in democracy and economic/technological/military power.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 12:40:34 AM »

Crucial difference being, I don't imagine ~70% of the population is going to tolerate ~30% of the population controlling ~70% of the Senate seats and stymieing their agenda into the 2040's. Rural white trash is going to have to experience a rather brutal lesson in democracy and economic/technological/military power.

How would this 70% fix this without amending the Constitution which requires 2/3 of all senators to vote for it?

R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2019, 06:25:52 PM »

How would this 70% fix this without amending the Constitution which requires 2/3 of all senators to vote for it?

Extra-Constitutionally, unfortunately. Which is why the system is primed to collapse, and we're headed for a confrontation. When CA and WY are in no way equal, aside from some words written down on an ancient piece of parchment, it isn't sustainable.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 07:40:18 AM »

Dems have their greatest chance to end GOP dominance and win a 412 EC vote landslide, win TX, in 2020
Basil
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 1.13

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »

Republicans would be smart not to jump on the bandwagon. While they may face some hard elections in the short to medium-run, no big tent can be sustained for long. It's impossible to please all the wings of a party, and eventually, they will have to give up certain wings to hold onto others. Then the other party has a way in to break the dominance.

We've seen this happen with Democrats during the breakdown of the New Deal coalition. I see Trump's victory as the complete rejection of that type of Democratic Party. But now Democrats have an 'in' with wealthy, suburbanites and educated whites, who have traditionally been a Republican bloc.

I don't think any of us can say for certain what the coalitions will look like in the future. Its not impossible to imagine a Republican re-emergence in New England, or even states like Washington or Oregon.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 10:54:47 AM »

Republicans would be smart not to jump on the bandwagon. While they may face some hard elections in the short to medium-run, no big tent can be sustained for long. It's impossible to please all the wings of a party, and eventually, they will have to give up certain wings to hold onto others. Then the other party has a way in to break the dominance.

We've seen this happen with Democrats during the breakdown of the New Deal coalition. I see Trump's victory as the complete rejection of that type of Democratic Party. But now Democrats have an 'in' with wealthy, suburbanites and educated whites, who have traditionally been a Republican bloc.

I don't think any of us can say for certain what the coalitions will look like in the future. Its not impossible to imagine a Republican re-emergence in New England, or even states like Washington or Oregon.

If you are interested there are some discussions about this in the rest of the trends board.

There are some difficulties that keep the Republicans locked where they are, particularly religious identity politics, and those states and places you mention are rather secular. Though of course that could change and one thing about Trump was he was able to appeal beyond that barrier to those who were concerned about trade regardless of religious fervor, hence why Maine, NH and such were so close. Though Maine is more religious than the rest of New England IIRC.
Basil
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 1.13

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 11:10:25 AM »

If you are interested there are some discussions about this in the rest of the trends board.

There are some difficulties that keep the Republicans locked where they are, particularly religious identity politics, and those states and places you mention are rather secular. Though of course that could change and one thing about Trump was he was able to appeal beyond that barrier to those who were concerned about trade regardless of religious fervor, hence why Maine, NH and such were so close. Though Maine is more religious than the rest of New England IIRC.

These things can change rather quickly though. William Jennings Bryan was a progressive Democrat Bible-thumping evangelical who didn't believe in evolution, after all. As the United States becomes less religious it will become political suicide for Republicans to keep such close ties with evangelicals. Which is why they'll have to jettison that bloc eventually.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies