What do you think of gay rights in your country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:32:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What do you think of gay rights in your country?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you feel they have:
Gone as far as you would wish them to
Gone too far
Not gone far enough
Other (please specify)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What do you think of gay rights in your country?  (Read 3398 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »

I support full marraige rights.

In 50 or so years, it'll probably be a reality.

And just think, we'll be the old farts grumbling about it Smiley

Lmao.
God, I'm glad I wasn't here (plus was 6 years old) in that time.

As for the 2005 question, sadly, not nearly far enough. In Israel, we have no marriage right, no adoptive rights and the government rides on our backs to appear more tolerant in the world and exploits the Tel Aviv pride parade for tourism, all the while allowing religious leaders paid from public money to say terribly homophobic things.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 02:11:05 PM »

I support full marraige rights.

In 50 or so years, it'll probably be a reality.

Damn, that was fast 50 years. Tongue
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »

MarkD is 100% correct that the marriage decision should have been made by legislators and voters, not by unelected judges. However, at this point it is simply not worth it to try to undermine and overturn the decision. We fought the good fight in court, but should accept the loss and move on to more important issues.

As far as discrimination outside of marriage goes, while the Equality Act of 2017 goes too far, we do need a new law to expand rights in the 29 states where you can be fired if your employer thinks you are gay, while also clarifying that democratic executive rewriting of the Civil Rights Act of 1965 is illegal.
seb_pard
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »

Not far enough. Full marriage equality is needed, civil union is just a moderate hero response!
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »

MarkD is 100% correct that the marriage decision should have been made by legislators and voters, not by unelected judges. However, at this point it is simply not worth it to try to undermine and overturn the decision. We fought the good fight in court, but should accept the loss and move on to more important issues.

As far as discrimination outside of marriage goes, while the Equality Act of 2017 goes too far, we do need a new law to expand rights in the 29 states where you can be fired if your employer thinks you are gay, while also clarifying that democratic executive rewriting of the Civil Rights Act of 1965 is illegal.

Boy, you and I think so much alike on almost everything you mentioned it's almost scary. I just don't know what "Equality Act of 2017" you're referring to as having gone too far.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2017, 09:55:28 PM »

Boy, you and I think so much alike on almost everything you mentioned it's almost scary. I just don't know what "Equality Act of 2017" you're referring to as having gone too far.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2282
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 12:00:09 AM »

Tbh defining sexual orientation as "homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality" strikes me as flawed.

"Your honor, the equality act does prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, but it defines sexual orientation 'homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality'. The woman I fired identifies as Pansexual, so she isn't protected by the law."
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2017, 01:45:51 AM »

Tbh defining sexual orientation as "homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality" strikes me as flawed.

"Your honor, the equality act does prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, but it defines sexual orientation 'homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality'. The woman I fired identifies as Pansexual, so she isn't protected by the law."

Pansexuals are just edgy bisexuals.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »

Pansexuals are just edgy bisexuals.

Even if we assume that pansexuality falls under the category of bisexuality, which TBH kind of makes sense to me, what about asexuality?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies