Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2019, 05:55:18 am
News: 2020 Presidential Predictions (General) are now active.

Atlas Forum
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: True Federalist)
  What if Islam Conquered Europe?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What if Islam Conquered Europe?  (Read 204 times)
Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2019, 02:01:24 pm »
« edited: October 05, 2019, 02:30:35 pm by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

Let's suppose that the battle of Tours was avoided simply if the Muslim commander, Abdul Rahman al Ghafiqi had done his due diligence and conducted reconnaissance, and been made aware of a potentially formidable enemy to his north.

How differently would history have unfolded?  What if he had taken the fight directly to the Prince and Duke Charles Martel on ground (and at a time) of his own choosing?  With the Franks the only force capable of resisting the Muslim tide, what if they had succumbed as the Visigoths had done earlier in Spain?  Would we be talking Al-Andalus writ large across the continent?  Or following the Roman example after conducting raids beyond the Rhine throughout the continent, the Muslim invaders would have been content to remain in the Iberian peninsula?  Maybe turned their attention to Italy, then being fought over between the Lombards and the Byzantine Empire?    
Representative Thumb21
thumb21
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 07:02:04 pm »

I doubt that the Muslims would have conquered Europe because they were already very overextended. After conquering France, where do they go next? If they go to Germany, they are going very deep into Europe and overextending themselves even more. As far as I see it, the deeper into Germany they go, the more they expose themselves to enemies, I could see them making a lot of progress but I don't think it'd last long. Italy is better protected with the Alps and the terrain is more mountainous. That said, I could see permanent Muslim strongholds surviving in Italy for centuries, and not just Sicily. Britain at the time wouldn't really be worth invading, although it could be a threat to Muslim France to have an untouched Christian stronghold across the sea. Plus as the Vikings rise, Muslim Europe would face even more pressure.

Long term, the main problem for Muslim France is the defensibility of its borders. The Alps are good, but the whole north-east is exposed to the North European plains. All it would take is a strong power to rise in Germany and for Muslim armies to be occupied elsewhere and northern France would likely fall. I think that eventually, all of Muslim France would fall to the Christians, although you could see a few remnants survive longer, particularly around the Fraxinet area. This would, however, give the Muslims more time to consolidate in Spain and I could easily see a Muslim Spain surviving until today with a strong barrier along the Pyrenees protecting it from Christian Europe.

In terms of the longer term implications, who knows? A lot comes down to who discovers America and when. I'm not going to try and predict that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies