How will interplanetary politics develop?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:07:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  How will interplanetary politics develop?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How will interplanetary politics develop?  (Read 452 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2019, 08:12:49 PM »

Let's say, hypothetically, that mankind begins to establish permanent settlements within the Solar System over the course of the next hundred years. If those settlements begin to develop some sort of political autonomy, how will they be governed? By some sort of aristocratic/meritocratic technocracy? What will relations be like between the governments of Earth and their subsidiary governments on other worlds? When will those extraterrestrial settlements actually break away from their native Earth governments and become states in their own right? How will land claims be managed on worlds like the Moon and Mars? Will there be any kind of racial/class-based resentment between humans from Mars and humans from Earth?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 08:36:54 PM »

Watch the Expanse, I think it handles this realistically.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:30:40 PM »

There will be strong parallels between what politics looks like right now on Earth, and the future IN SPACE! Such parallels include territory “above ground”, wars for resource exploitation, etc.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 12:06:59 AM »

Nation-statehood is a uniquely Industrial Era invention that will probably not outlive the current century.  I don't think nation-states will be the primary polity of the post-industrial (i.e., "Space") age.     

If I had to guess, I'd say that space societies of the future will probably resemble something akin to industrial "company towns" - with the private enterprises financing space exploration/settlement also being primary polities. 
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »

Pierce Brown’s Red Rising is pretty interesting on this. Also probably the best sci-fi book series since the John Carter/Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies