Nobel Committee outdoes itself
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:10:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Nobel Committee outdoes itself
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nobel Committee outdoes itself  (Read 1123 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »

No award last year because of... well... anyway... so this year they handed the Prize out twice. The winners:

1. Olga Tokarczuck - not a surprise, she's very much In at the moment. Won the Booker last year.

2. Peter Handke. Yes, that one. Ahahahahahahaha.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »

What's wrong with that? We are talking about Prize in literature, not Nobel Peace prize.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »

What's wrong with that? We are talking about Prize in literature, not Nobel Peace prize.

I'm laughing, which isn't the same thing as complaining. Obviously it was many decades ago, but it is deeply amusing that they withheld awarding the Prize to Borges on political grounds and yet now... hahaha.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »

tbh if the Committee really wants to stir things up they should give it to Rushdie
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 07:48:12 PM »

tbh if the Committee really wants to stir things up they should give it to Rushdie

I mean, yes, but they don't want to die. Btw, Rushdie spent the entire afternoon angrily tweeting about this latest defeat.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 06:04:33 AM »

I'm surprised they gave both prizes to Europeans after all the talk about a less Eurocentric perspective.

They should have given them to Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o (81) and Adunis (89), the greatest African writer and the greatest Arab poet alive, to make sure they get it before they die.
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 06:16:44 AM »

Second Silesian Nobel prize winner in literature (and first to be born in 60ies). Last Silesian was naturally Gerhard Hauptmann 1912.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 09:32:47 AM »

The first Austrian Nobel laureate in literature since 15 years and the first in 6 after Chemistry.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »

I'm surprised they gave both prizes to Europeans after all the talk about a less Eurocentric perspective.

They should have given them to Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o (81) and Adunis (89), the greatest African writer and the greatest Arab poet alive, to make sure they get it before they die.

I agree.

African Nobel laureates are very underrepresented.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 10:33:33 AM »

I'm laughing, which isn't the same thing as complaining. Obviously it was many decades ago, but it is deeply amusing that they withheld awarding the Prize to Borges on political grounds and yet now... hahaha.

Knut Hamsun gave his Nobel Prize medal to Joseph Goebbels as a gift and eulogized the late Adolf Hitler in an obituary. I don't think Handke could ever top that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 10:44:13 AM »

Knut Hamsun gave his Nobel Prize medal to Joseph Goebbels as a gift and eulogized the late Adolf Hitler in an obituary. I don't think Handke could ever top that.

Quite so - but of course Hamsun was awarded the prize in 1920, long before... all that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 11:28:51 AM »

Retrospectively that looks like clear misdirection in order to better prepare for this act of trolling. Though the Prize is not awarded to European authors as often as people (particularly journalists) assume: a lot of the winners aren't that easy to categorise but since 2000 eleven were born in Europe (including these two and Pamuk, who isn't from a part of Europe that people tend to mean when they say 'European' in this context...) and nine elsewhere. Of course three of those nine (Naipaul, Lessing, Ishiguro) were British citizens and one a French citizen (Gao), but of those four only Ishiguro is describable as 'a European writer' without absurdity.
Ethelberth
Rookie
Suriname

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 12:53:47 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2019, 01:03:05 PM by Ethelberth »

LeClezio is semiEuropean too. Gao is similar case to Bunin who was first Russian language laureate.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »

I'm glad the Nobel Peace Prize wasn't awarded to Greta to fuel the hype around her. Well deserved for the prime minister of Ethiopia.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 09:14:06 AM »

I'm glad the Nobel Peace Prize wasn't awarded to Greta to fuel the hype around her. Well deserved for the prime minister of Ethiopia.

Good thing they didn't co-award Afewerki.
Omega21

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »

Well, this was a bit unexpected.

If he did not receive permission from Jörg Haider, the Governor of Carinthia in 1999, it means he lost his Austrian citizenship once he received the new one.

https://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/politik/Gar-kein-Oesterreicher-Land-Kaernten-prueft-Handke-Pass/404974216
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies